Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Safety Warning / CO2 Tanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
paintball-mad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintball-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 6:50pm
hi all
its alright saying use locktite but its a bit useless unless used correctly so hope this helps

determine what type you are going to use.
locktite 242 (blue) is a thread retainer and will seperate at 60ft Lb" cure in 24 hours.
locktite 601 (red) high strength retainer will separate at 220 ft Lb cures in 24 - 48 hours
locktite 270 or 2701 (green) high strength retainer separates at 350 ft Lb cures in 24 - 72 hours

make sure all parts are clean, use a brass wire brush to clean the valve and if posible the bottle threads. remove all traces of oil and grease from the parts with i.P.A or locktitew 7063.
place enough locktite to fill the threads, remove any access and assemble, screw in till tight not just hand tite  then leave to cure.
i have only ever used locktite 242 as this can be disassembled cold as aposed to 601 and 270 this needs to be warmed up befoer you can split it..
please i can not stress this enough, make absolutley sure your bottles are empty before working on them.
play fare and play safe
tend0686 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tend0686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2005 at 7:40am

Originally posted by paintball-mad paintball-mad wrote:

hi all
its alright saying use locktite but its a bit useless unless used correctly so hope this helps

determine what type you are going to use.
locktite 242 (blue) is a thread retainer and will seperate at 60ft Lb" cure in 24 hours.
locktite 601 (red) high strength retainer will separate at 220 ft Lb cures in 24 - 48 hours
locktite 270 or 2701 (green) high strength retainer separates at 350 ft Lb cures in 24 - 72 hours

make sure all parts are clean, use a brass wire brush to clean the valve and if posible the bottle threads. remove all traces of oil and grease from the parts with i.P.A or locktitew 7063.
place enough locktite to fill the threads, remove any access and assemble, screw in till tight not just hand tite  then leave to cure.
i have only ever used locktite 242 as this can be disassembled cold as aposed to 601 and 270 this needs to be warmed up befoer you can split it..
please i can not stress this enough, make absolutley sure your bottles are empty before working on them.
play fare and play safe

WHHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA?????!!!!!   Are you saying use blue lock-tite and only hand tight.  WHAD-R-U-NUTZ?!  It seems to be that the proper way to do this is using a Torque Wrench to tighten the valve to 38 ft/lbs with blue lock-tite.  If you don't know what that means, don't mess with your tanks, if not for your own saftey but for others as well.  Damn, hand tight, did you do the installs on the two tanks that came apart and killed two people.  I think they should just make the tank valve non-removable, if you want anti-syphon, order it from the factory, if you want an on-off, order it from the factory.  That would be the smartest idea, all they have to do is,

A) just give you an extra o-ring to place in the ASA to get the syphon to the top,

or

B) make the damn pins in the ASA adjustable, that is easy, some guns already have that, they just use a pin that you can screw in and out with an allen key, make that pin have a nylon-lock-nut type idea to keep them from moving on their own, or just lock-tite.

tend0686 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tend0686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2005 at 7:42am
Originally posted by MC91 MC91 wrote:

i don't get wat ya sayin wat are the consequences when a valve breaks c02 just leaks out right so how did people die from that?

The valve UNSCREWED from the tank, large Volumn of co2 at high pressures rocketed the tank into two people's heads.

This is why I say tanks should have non-removable valves....

paintfreek44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintfreek44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 1:29pm
i agree in two ways       they should come removable for the
people who now what there are doing        and         &nb sp;  the tanks
should have a standard one built in for the people who are new to
the game      play safe everyone
Dire Wolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dire Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 6:36pm
I'll repeat again If you manage to unscrew a tank valve/reg while its filled and not notice and manage to kill someone its criminal negligence atleast...the threads are a good bit longer than ASA threads.

HP equipment DEMANDS care and attention, if you don't know how to do something do NOT do it. Yes, this includes unscrewing a tank.

If you hear someone saying they want to paint their macrohose do me a favor and slap em silly.
I've had a piece of macrohose impact my goggles when I just put my goggles on, was lucky to be wearing em since this was the "safe" zone.

You do not need solvents potentially leaching any strength of a plastic hose.

Macrohose degrades under influence of solvents or sun light, change it when needed.

Tippman A-5 "Dead On"
Army green reciever
- 12" Lapco Bigshot/ Flatline
- Palmer Male Stabilizer
- Dead On dropforward
- Dead On front grip
- E-grip
-Crossfire 88/4500 Stubby.
house View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote house Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 1:51pm
thank you captian oblivious.
sn0wie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sn0wie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2005 at 10:15pm
Good job Kevin.  I was going to get an A/S tank within the next week. I appreciate that :)
Felicibus brevis misera hora longa. dico ego procul vado procul per nusquam velum.
Devoco Ignis. Adustum orbis terrarum.
stalker77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalker77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 6:14pm
wow thats crazy..im seeing if my local pro-shop can install anti-syphons right now... i might get an on/off switch on my co2 too... Great post man...wow
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2005 at 4:01pm
All this info should fall under the category of common sense.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
EriK6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EriK6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2005 at 5:19pm
Its common sense
cdacda13 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Yes, spelled secual.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdacda13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2005 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by EriK6 EriK6 wrote:

Its common sense

I will it was, but most people lack that now.
sporx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sporx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 4:57am
i've been lacking common sense for a long time. I guess that's how I got into paintball...just pure craziness.
98cowboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98cowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 10:35pm
be carefull boys and girls
GO BUCKS!!!

A5 Man View Drop Down
Guested - F-bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A5 Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 4:13am

any one here about the kid in cail?? whit the n2 tank

HeadshotJester View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeadshotJester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 10:24pm

dude the same thing about the C02 tank flying off happened to my friend! he was running in woodball and tripped and cracked it off on a rock and the thing shot around like a bottle rocket on steroids, it bounced off like every tree like a freakin pinball game. it scared teh hell out of all of us in the wood because that thing sounds like a fighter jet takin off.

hehe imagine what the neighbors thought......

Vote for Stewie!
rockoutboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockoutboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2005 at 1:11pm
my tank does that but i don't have a anti-siphen tube
shadowsniper158 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowsniper158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2005 at 3:09am
Actually, the local field I play at requires the tank be taken off by a ref. The Ref actually uses a wrench to take the tank out of the asa. *Turns the burst disk, not the tank*. I was there the 30th of july and they actually kicked a kid out for taking his own tank off. They also mark the burst disk and tank when they fill the tanks. Im just glad it was brought to attention, I also play woodsball with a good bit of friends and im gonna mark there tanks next time we play, better be safe then sorry.

Edited by shadowsniper158
===============
SARGE
A-5 (Stock)
Xspyderman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xspyderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2005 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by SpYdErOwNeR SpYdErOwNeR wrote:

i just installed 2 anti siphons on both my 20's. i
used blue loctite on one. i just tightened it a lot, my
torque wrench doesnt fit on smart parts valves. and i
used red loctite on the other one. the blue one held
up fine. i didnt get the one with the red loctite filled
yet. i sopposed it will be fine. red loctite is pretty
strong stuff
The only Loctite suitable would be Red Threadlocker 262 Permanent.  It is really not even considered a consumer product.  If you used anything else, you are endangering others.  Anyone performing this at home should seriously reconsider what you are doing... especaily w/o a torque wrench.  The liablity is not worth it.  Loctite has a great Technical Support department: http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm
Xs.

A5, GTA; Flatline, Double Trigger, R/T, Tapco Stock, 32 Remote, Attitude

Forum: meeting place or medium for discussion of matters of public interest. NOT INTERESTED? DON'T POST!
A-5_massacre View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Flaming, Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5_massacre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2005 at 1:45am
Never leave your CO2 in the heat or it will blow and there goes your day of paintballing unless you have a spare.
clownshooter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Checking your underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 10:42pm

Originally posted by Xspyderman Xspyderman wrote:

[QUOTE=SpYdErOwNeR]i just installed 2 anti siphons on both my 20's. i
used blue loctite on one. i just tightened it a lot, my
torque wrench doesnt fit on smart parts valves. and i
used red loctite on the other one. the blue one held
up fine. i didnt get the one with the red loctite filled
yet. i sopposed it will be fine. red loctite is pretty
strong stuff
The only Loctite suitable would be Red Threadlocker 262 Permanent.  It is really not even considered a consumer product.  If you used anything else, you are endangering others.  Anyone performing this at home should seriously reconsider what you are doing... especaily w/o a torque wrench.  The liablity is not worth it.  Loctite has a great Technical Support department: http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm[/QUOT E]

Sorry dudes but I have to disagree! I have been filling my own CO2 tanks for years and I install my own anti-siphon tubes in my tanks. I have had to re-align siphon tubes in some of my tanks when I changed markers so the AS tube would be up. I won't for liability purposes argue in favor of any particular strength of loctite, but I will say that if you properly clean and de-grease the valve threads, apply loctite according to the manufacturers instructions, and properly tighten the tank valve you will have no problems. Marking the valve to tank position with a permanent visible mark is also a good idea. When disassembling tanks in which I have previously installed an anti-siphon, I had to warm them first and then it was still difficult to unscrew the tank valve from the tank. When warming a tank to break loose the thread locker, it helps to screw a spare ASA adapter onto the tank to prevent pressure build-up from the heated air in the tank. If you have a tank valve with an open/close valve, be sure to open the valve before warming the tank. For the record, I have never endangered anyone by my actions or modifications to my tanks nor will I fill an outdated CO2 tank.
IMHO I do not favor manufacturers building tanks with non-removable valves. As to the field where a ref has to remove the CO2 tank; how do they work stock games? Does a ref have to come over and change out the 12 grams too?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic