Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Safety Warning / CO2 Tanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
GunSamuri View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunSamuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2004 at 3:52pm

Thx for the post i think im gunna paint a line on the joint incase the tank where to ever come undone. I whink thats a good habit to do to your Co2 tanks especially if u do things like take tanks apart at home you never know when something like this can happen everyone should be aware that paintball is dangerous and paintball markers are not just toys.

Tippmann A5
Flatline Barrel
Egrip W/DF Trigger
6 stage X chamber
Rear Velocity Adjuster

Yea I may be Cocky but I have the skills to back it up :P
paintball_1199 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintball_1199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 12:14am

the 2 deaths were caused by a modification (putting the anti-siphon in). but there is also a recall on some tanks too.  historicaly the department of transportation did not require thread locking compound, but they did have a high torque requirement for the tanks. after these acidents some of the manufacuers of co2 tanks put a memo on there sites with the tanks that were being recalled due to no thread locking compound. most of the recalls were tanks that do not have a "rehydor test" sticker on them. i do not know the year that some of these companys started puting locktite on there tanks but it has never been a mandatory thing. so for those companys they issued a warning for some of there old tanks to be hydrotested and some of there newer ones to be recalled. 

bad dogs paint ball.. www.freewebs.com/teambaddogs
Raven Nexion View Drop Down
Guested - F-Bomb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raven Nexion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2004 at 1:01pm
What is an anti-siphon???
133t View Drop Down
Ooops! My "Fly" is Open!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 133t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2004 at 7:07pm
    Good find! It's very true that you need to be very carefull with the anti
siphon. Thanks for the warning.

speedballer560 View Drop Down
Guested: Taunting mods, stupidity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedballer560 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2004 at 8:30pm
good post thanks
98 custom
R-T
2x trigger
14" Progressive
48ci3k psi
32degrees drop
Ricrochet ak
macro line
8" bigshot
smart parts on/off adapter
Rocket cock II
tippysnyper98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippysnyper98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2004 at 3:25pm
i took mine to my shop to get it installed
Angels? We dont need no stinkin Angels!
metalmeshuggah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalmeshuggah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2004 at 1:21am
looks like a few guys are still thinking the anti-siphon itself caused the accident. sounds to me like it was an improper installation. the anti-siphon tubes are perfectly safe if installed correctly. I just want to point out that just because a shop does it dont get careless. shops dont always do it right. I always ask to watch when a shop does a quick job like that. I have an old gun that runs on liquid & had to have a siphon tube installed in a tank. the guy didnt use loc tite & just snugged the valve on. I had to call the manager over after the guy argued with me about it. was glad I watched him or it could have been really bad. back in 1988 I was at a field & their fill station fell over & knocked the valve off the fill tank...sounded like a rocket going through the woods, bouncing off trees.
bigmike102 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2004 at 1:48pm

wow my mom heard about this and almost took my gun away

Mamba2SFG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamba2SFG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2004 at 11:42pm
  I feel bad for the families of the victims.  I just wonder how many close calls of this same type have happened that didn't hurt anyone?
Just the thought of one of my 20 Oz. tanks taking off like that makes me cringe.  That would tighten up the old butt cheeks real good!

Tippy A5,flatline,responce,F/X stock,32 deg. remote, red dot sight, CO2
impulse View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 3- prejiduce/hate thread.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2004 at 6:10am
HPA time lol.
6,600 posts. I need a lifE
Bo_vq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo_vq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2004 at 4:42pm

Just to let everyone know New tanks CAN unscrew at the valve. I know, I work for a local sporting goods store were I sale paintball guns, co2 tanks as well as fill them. I sold this guy a new tank and 2 days later he came back and told me about his tank coming apart at the valve. Last week I RTV 2 more tanks because of this problem. The tanks I have had a problem with have been the 20 oz Java tanks, that we no longer carry. So watch out even if you have a new tank whatever the size is or make.

If it moves... Shoot it!!
slimjim23 View Drop Down
Likes to Bump Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slimjim23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2004 at 10:22am

sorry if this sounds stupid, but i'm not good at all these technical terms. can someone dumb down the article thing in that link for me?

Kevin Z View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2004 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by slimjim23 slimjim23 wrote:

sorry if this sounds stupid, but i'm not good at all these technical terms. can someone dumb down the article thing in that link for me?

The valve may unscrew from the tank,    if it does a full tank will take off like a rocket... two bystanders have been killed.

If you mod your tank, use locktite when you reassemble, and mark it so you can easily tell if it's unscrewing.
United States Marine Corps....   When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight!

Just say NO to junk mods
FlatlinePwnage View Drop Down
Guested - S-Bomb & spamming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatlinePwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2004 at 11:15am
i want to say and its a guess here but, g-unit?
Tippmann 98 Custom
Flatline Barrel System
Pistol (james bond style)

and i can still shoot further than ur 1500$ guns
slimjim23 View Drop Down
Likes to Bump Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slimjim23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2004 at 4:52pm
wow so how will we know if our valve is coming off? if it was, is it a gradual process and then one day it comes right off? or is everything about your tank gonna be great until one day BOOM?
Kevin Z View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2004 at 9:53pm

Paint a line accross the valve and the tank, if it ever becomes missaligned, you know it's worked loose.
United States Marine Corps....   When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight!

Just say NO to junk mods
98c-Ownage View Drop Down
Guested: Egregious spamming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98c-Ownage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2004 at 1:38pm
lol flatline pwnage u crack me up ur the koolest man lol yo its a good thing people like the creater of this thread are around otherwise a lot of people could have gotten hurt
98c
Flatline
Polished Internals
Trigger Stop
Double Trigger
32* Remote
Redz 2and1 harness
Stinless Steel Bolts

Those who see me fear me, those who don't see me fear me more - Semper Fi
98c-Ownage View Drop Down
Guested: Egregious spamming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98c-Ownage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2004 at 1:40pm

Originally posted by FlatlinePwnage FlatlinePwnage wrote:

i want to say and its a guess here but, g-unit?

true that

98c
Flatline
Polished Internals
Trigger Stop
Double Trigger
32* Remote
Redz 2and1 harness
Stinless Steel Bolts

Those who see me fear me, those who don't see me fear me more - Semper Fi
98c OwNaGe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98c OwNaGe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2004 at 9:12am
Good thing the person who wrote this post wrote it otherwise a lot of people could have gotten hurt.
98c
Trigger Stop
Red Dot Pointer
Flatline Barrel
Redz 2+1 Harness
GTA Double Trigger
Steel Screws

http://tippmann.com/players/forum/wwf77a/forum_posts.asp?TID =109849&PN=1&TPN=1

Arbites View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Soon to be Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2004 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by ChadwickVM ChadwickVM wrote:

To answer D-ballz question, an anti siphon is just a straw that goes fromt he valve of your tank (inside it from the front) pretty much to the back of it (inside).  Without anti-siphon tube anything can be let out of the front valve.  With an anti-siphon in, the tube (really just a straw) stays in the back middle of the tank. This makes it so that only gas CO2 can be pushed out of the tank, in theory. 

Another example:

If you use a remote line, all the liquid CO2 will pool at the bottom of the tank and the anti-siphon straw will be submerged in it.  This will make the tank a siphon tank and you will only get liquid out of the tank for the most part.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You are close. The straw in an anti-syphon is actually curved back to point towards the valve. It is important that the tank be set up for the individual marker so that it will curve and further out of the liquid. In this way a remote line will work fine, though in general remote lines have trouble with anti-syphon tubes because the users occasionally lay down. However, the remote line itself usually lets the liquid expand into a gas somewhat anyway.

The straw pointing down is actually a syphon tube. It can be either a stiff copper tube like the anti-syphon or a flexible tube with a weight on the end (the second is actually more effective). Why would someone want that? Because they want to feed liquid CO2 into their marker. And no, that is not always a bad thing. Actually, Tippmann SMG-60/68 and 68-Specials need liquid CO2 to maintain a high RoF and were designed for this. Additionally, pump markers don't particularly care and may actually have better performance in cold weather if using liquid CO2. Yes, I did say better performance. If you don't believe me, check out this article from Doc's Machine Shop: http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/liquid.html

A-5: 12" Ceramic, Egrip/WAS/Duel, HPA, MP5 sliding stock
SMG-68: 12" Ceramic
68-Specials(8): 12"&14" Ceramic, 12V Revy *** 1 Tip-n-Strip, 1 Blue, 1 FA w/Qloader
SL-68: 14" Ceramic
SMG-60 Ext. Line
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic