Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Consumer Products Safty Commission Warn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rock Slide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Well, my player card says Iím an <KRL> !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Slide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Consumer Products Safty Commission Warn
    Posted: 24 March 2004 at 2:21pm

Gas Canister Problems Lead To Paintball Gun Warning

POSTED: 9:51 a.m. EST March 24, 2004

The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission says that people need to be aware of a problem that can cause the carbon dioxide canisters that power paintball guns to become deadly projectiles.

The agency says two deaths were caused by carbon dioxide canisters flying off paintball guns.

Users should know that the brass- or nickel-plated valve that connects to the canister must not be unscrewed from the canister. This valve must stay secured and rotate with the CO2 canister when removing it from the gun.

In both of the deaths, the brass valve unscrewed from the canister, letting it fly free.

"We believe it is urgent to provide this new safety message about the valve detaching from the canister while unscrewing it from the paintball gun," said CPSC chairman Hal Stratton.

The group offered safety tips for paintball gun users:

• Make sure the brass or nickel-plated canister valve is securely attached to the canister, rotates with the canister and does not unscrew from the canister.
  • The canister assembly should unscrew from the paintball gun in about three or four full turns; if you finish the fourth full turn and the canister is not unscrewed, stop. Take it to a professional.
  • Some people use paint or nail polish to mark the brass valve and the CO2 canister so they can see that the valve and the canister rotate together while being removed from the gun.

Some of this is common sense.  The valves NEED to be Lock Tite'ed in the tank.  I like the nail polish idea...

I bring annihilation

and cheap red wine!
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2004 at 2:49pm
nail polish idea is good, I'd better check mine....
spyderjunke View Drop Down
You heard me: Spyder = junke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spyderjunke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2004 at 2:56pm
somone said you got thorw them away after 15 years if so thats is a waste of money but if is to safe i'll spend the money

Edited by spyderjunke
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2004 at 3:09pm
If theyre going to issue this big warning, why not warn about what CAUSES that problem, idiots working on their tank and not using loctite on the valve threads...
Chicken Wang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicken Wang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2004 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

If theyre going to issue this big warning, why not warn about what CAUSES that problem, idiots working on their tank and not using loctite on the valve threads...

Yeah.  The other day I was reading an article in the paper and it mentioned how a kids tank flew off the gun, and hit someone in the head, killing her.  But it said it flew off while he was disasembling the gun.  Who would take their gun apart with the air on  Some people are idiots.
S\/\/4T-L()G4N View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Anybody in the town wanna bounce around?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2004 at 6:01pm
Quite frankly I think part of the problem is the fact that many people do not understand the sport we play...and more so they do not understand the equipment that we use. The media writes their reports, but they do not HELP the public, they just hurt the image of paintball.

If the media in their reports included WHY something like this might happen, the media would be helping the sport, and in turn helping society.
=ez8= View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =ez8= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2004 at 9:05pm
unfortunately that's just the way it goes... a few idiots screw up and suddenly u'r faced with an inseparable blemish (sports, video gaming, work, EVERYTHING)

if society had any common sense to begin w/, they'd realize two very important facts:
1) the media primarily reports bad news, hence the saying- "no news, is good news"
2) in the hands of an idiot, ANYTHING can be dangerous (pencils, hammers, staplers, pocket knifes, ANYTHING)
PaintballWizard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Flatstang is my HERO!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintballWizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2004 at 9:22pm
I hate people who play this and dont know what there doing and actually can hurt someone!

Paintball Videos.
www.smacktalkpaintball.com
webdogradio.us
www.forceofnature.com
and www.google.com
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2004 at 10:16pm
In addition to that warning for paintball players, I think we also need to inform our friends and families, anybody that is around or has access to our equipment. I don't think it's a big problem, family members messing with equipment, but I would take no chances. Let them know to take care around the tanks.

Don't be alarmist about it, but let them know to exercise caution. Cover your bases whether or not your tanks have been altered.

Edited by reifidom

Village Idiot! View Drop Down
Guested - Again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Village Idiot! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2004 at 2:13am

What do you expect to happen when you give idiots high pressure gas canisters?

ownage View Drop Down
Guested - Flaming, Racial slurs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ownage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2004 at 5:44pm

Originally posted by Chicken Wang Chicken Wang wrote:

Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Yeah.  The other day I was reading an article in the paper and it mentioned how a kids tank flew off the gun, and hit someone in the head, killing her.  But it said it flew off while he was disasembling the gun.  Who would take their gun apart with the air on  Some people are idiots.

i heard about that too supposedly it was some kid at his birthday party...that girl that got hit in the head was his mother, he killed his mom on his birthday

tippmann 98 custom silver
ebolt, lp kit, halo b, lapco powerfeed, 8 inch bigshot ,boblong reg
red agd warp feed with intellifeed
tippy a-5 guy View Drop Down
AKA: thetippmannguy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy a-5 guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2004 at 6:28pm
can you imagine what would happen if it was an HPA  tank? you think the co2 tank could make a mess try 63ci/4500psi flying off.....that would suck ace

Edited by tippy a-5 guy
All hale the mighty butt kicker!

Tippmann A-5, E-grip, flatline, 2x trigger, PMI 68ci/3000psi

Say hello to my squishy little .68 caliber friend.

me for gold
636andy636 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Posting While Intoxicated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 636andy636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2004 at 7:39pm
how stupid to people have to be once youve tured the tank more that 3 times around you got a prob. what is evryone smoking
nouseforaname wrote:
oh good, a mech gun with eye covers and a rippoff Jackel frame ... ANS - "Stealing ideas since teh begining"

S\/\/4T-L()G4N View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Anybody in the town wanna bounce around?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S\/\/4T-L()G4N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2004 at 8:51pm
I would say it is ignorance, not stupidity.
beltismad,yo View Drop Down

Guested - Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beltismad,yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 2:12am

Originally posted by tippy a-5 guy tippy a-5 guy wrote:

can you imagine what would happen if it was an HPA  tank? you think the co2 tank could make a mess try 73ci/4500psi flying off.....that would suck ace

What about like a... lets say a.. 114/5000?

(I don't know if they make 5000 psi tanks anymore, but they used to)

I'm giving up flaming and spamming, in my efforts to improve the forum. (Don't laugh)

Belt Still Pwns Joo.
Humvee Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humvee Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 10:40am
I am glad this was posted to let people like that don't know of things like this. Of the unscrewig number i will definately put fingernail polish on mine.
firefighter3431 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighter3431 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 4:46pm

Originally posted by spyderjunke spyderjunke wrote:

somone said you got thorw them away after 15 years if so thats is a waste of money but if is to safe i'll spend the money

dude you could check with a co2 dealer ( welding supply ) and see if they can hydro test them .....   if they do you might get to use them from now on.... i know that steel air bottle ( holds 2216 psi. ) in the fire service can be used as long as it passes hydrostatic testing ( for the firefighting services) also if you are not near a welding supply store you might want to check with you local fire dept. they might give you a company name and phone number , so you can check with that company if they would test you bottles

as of 05/13/2004    heres a new bit of info for people near MOUNT AIRY ,NC a company call action fire & saftey inc. will hydro your CO2 tanks also the fee is $12 thats what the service man told me today

Edited by firefighter3431
98 custom,r/t,tippmann x-chamber,flatline,remote,20 oz (co2),dead-on rva,rockert cock 2, polished internals
Solid Knight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solid Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2004 at 12:13pm
Threads exposed between the bottle and the valve should be a big indicator that you are unscrewing the wrong thing. Though the two marks to keep aligned is a good idea. Although you'll probably get some moron who puts both marks on the tank and sees nothing wrong when he unscrews the valve. Eh, anyway, I usually drain my tank before detatching it anyway. I don't trust 3000psi hanging around in my room and filling it back up is so cheap it might as well be free (my supervisor has his own scuba tank and yes we took the time to get trained by a professional airsmith who also paintballs frequently).
beltismad,yo View Drop Down

Guested - Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beltismad,yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2004 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Village Idiot! Village Idiot! wrote:

What do you expect to happen when you give idiots high pressure gas canisters?

I'm giving up flaming and spamming, in my efforts to improve the forum. (Don't laugh)

Belt Still Pwns Joo.
tippyfreak777 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - S-Bomb (D6)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippyfreak777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2004 at 4:32pm
yea but people die all the time from different things why does all of a sudden a tank flies off and kills 2 ppl its sad but nothing to flip out about
A-5
70/4500 N2 tank
flatline/14 DYE boomstick
DOP bullet drop
atlas gas thruw/ rubber grip
double trigger
vertical adapter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic