FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It's going to 'Kill' me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's going to 'Kill' me
    Posted: 04 February 2014 at 8:09am
Just got back from Ohio where I picked up a real nice 1982 Yamaha YZ-490J for only $1525 off Ebay. On a scale of 1-10 would score it a 8.5, only faults are paint wear in usual places and decal set needs replacement. Low hour motor, been in storage for over 25years until recently partially restored by owner. Owner is an avid collector of vintage auto's and bikes. He bought bike back in the day and it was too much for him, I ran a 490 back in the day as well and it is a unforgiving beast, power is almost to the point of uncontrollable, and it is an experienced rider bike no question.

Got home with it yesterday, gave it a good physical, fueled it up with 95octane and 24:1 pre-mix and three kicks fired right up. No rattles, no strange sounds, ran through the transmission all four gears, yes it is a 4 speed, and no rattles or sounds. Suspention clean no seal leaks.

This bike is going to be a hoot to run in the Vintage class out here, will not need to run it all out so hopefully it will not 'kill' me but momma did give me the 'evil eye' when she read up on the bike. I also put a deposit and owner is holding for me to come up with total funds a 1973 Yamaha MX360, restored to 'use' condition as well. when I got to his house and we toured his collection 'Barn' I was in heaven, he is just going to keep his 125-250 collection but selling off his big bores.

Already found site to replace decal set, as well as site to get the 'vintage' wear of the era, will get pics up as soon as I get it pretty and have the gear. First race with it mid April.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Just got back from Ohio where I picked up a real nice 1982 Yamaha YZ-490J for only $1525 off Ebay. On a scale of 1-10 would score it a 8.5, only faults are paint wear in usual places and decal set needs replacement. Low hour motor, been in storage for over 25years until recently partially restored by owner. Owner is an avid collector of vintage auto's and bikes. He bought bike back in the day and it was too much for him, I ran a 490 back in the day as well and it is a unforgiving beast, power is almost to the point of uncontrollable, and it is an experienced rider bike no question.

Got home with it yesterday, gave it a good physical, fueled it up with 95octane and 24:1 pre-mix and three kicks fired right up. No rattles, no strange sounds, ran through the transmission all four gears, yes it is a 4 speed, and no rattles or sounds. Suspention clean no seal leaks.

This bike is going to be a hoot to run in the Vintage class out here, will not need to run it all out so hopefully it will not 'kill' me but momma did give me the 'evil eye' when she read up on the bike. I also put a deposit and owner is holding for me to come up with total funds a 1973 Yamaha MX360, restored to 'use' condition as well. when I got to his house and we toured his collection 'Barn' I was in heaven, he is just going to keep his 125-250 collection but selling off his big bores.

Already found site to replace decal set, as well as site to get the 'vintage' wear of the era, will get pics up as soon as I get it pretty and have the gear. First race with it mid April.

. . . and that's why you don't let women learn to read.

OS . . .

. . . your man card . . .

. . . turn it in . . .

. . . now.*

*Actually, I won't be in a position to accept it until after I get out of the doghouse for this post.  LOL
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 7:38pm
I had one, brand new, what a blast.
*edit*  Here's mine, I don't know if I'd be brave enough to rip around on it now though..

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 04 February 2014 at 7:46pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2014 at 11:01am
I am going to try and get 'before' pics up here soon, we just had that snow and mancave is jammed with bikes. Mine is a yellow and black US model, the non US were white and red.

Johnny you know, the bike is a beast, between the Yamaha and the Maico 490 I had, the Yamaha was the more 'challenging' to ride.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2014 at 8:12pm
I remember ruining my running shoe the 1st time I tried to start it after I bought it, sure had some compression; I bought some moto x boots that day.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

This bike is going to be a hoot to run in the Vintage class out here, will not need to run it all out so hopefully it will not 'kill' me but momma did give me the 'evil eye' when she read up on the bike.

So, what the bike doesn't manage to do to you, momma will make up for it?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2014 at 1:26pm
Here it is just reassembled after total inspection. Parts and decal set on order. Runs like a demon, 2nd gear roll on power and hold on, a 4 speed, I ran it on our dirt road and only got it into high rpm 3rd before had to slow down. When I did a 'start' with me sitting on gas cap, and in 2nd front end lifted, and she threw a rooster maybe 30feet, front end did not drop till I went to 3rd, and it was hold on for dear life exercise. Can't wait to get it out on a real track.
The 'barn' now consists of my 12 Honda CRF250L 'Dual Purpose', my new leftover 12 Honda XR650L, and my 13 Yamaha YZ250F.   I head back down to Ohio in June for my vintage 1973 Yamaha MX360.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic