Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pistol Ammo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pistol Ammo
    Posted: 03 February 2014 at 4:29pm
What are you guys carrying civilian-wise?

I've been carrying Winchester Ranger hollow points mostly because I got a deal on them when I purchased my pistol years ago.

Has anyone looked at the all copper or brass machined rounds yet? They look very interesting. I first got a look at this new round that promises miracles by G2Rammo. Haven't found any reputable independent reviews yet, but there are some youtube vids here: Youtube Guns

I guess there is a more established company called Lehight Defense LLC that is along the same vein with all copper ammo.

What do you guys think? They are expensive. Do you think they'd be worth it?
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2014 at 6:20pm
I don't carry yet. If I were to carry, I would be carrying .38 Special Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWCHP (hard cast lead semi waddcutter hollow point) +P traveling about 1200 FPS. I've been looking at Shields in either 9mm or 40 S&W and would either carry 147gr 9mms or whatever is the heaviest 40. I want a 3" 1911 with either 190 of 230 grain HPs as well, but thats out of the budget.

The all copper bullet is a cute fad but I don't buy into it much. Ignoring the cost, jacketed lead expands much nicer and has a long reputation for doing its job. I still don't understand why the military is switching to lead free ammo because it is 'clean'. 
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2014 at 6:55pm
It can also depend on what state you reside in. I believe hollow points are illegal in NJ unless you are a Police officer.

Down in the great state of North Carolina, if I ever do carry (a 1911 openly), it would be a standard round. Nothing special. Really no preference on brand either...have only had stove pipe jams or any other types of jams with my Glock 19, which prefers Winchester.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2014 at 7:02pm
The RIP ammo is really just another marketing gimmick/fad. Your round is intentionally losing its mass, so you'll just end up for several shallow wound channels instead of the normal traumatic injury. Not to mention if you have to shoot through any kind of barrier/glass/etc.

The two things I'd be interested to see are A) what kind of damage it would do to a feed ramp and B) if the odd shape of the round in general would affect the barrel rifling's ability to grab the round or if it would do damage there too.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2014 at 9:04pm
I live in MD, so yeah, no EDC here. However, I do keep progressive loads in my PA-63. 7 round mag is loaded with: 4 JHPs follwed up with 2 FMJs and one surplus steel-core AP-FMJ

Second mag is all FMJ. I figure if the first four don't penetrate (heavy clothing/whatever) the last three will. If I have to dump more than one mag, then I'm in a gun battle and FMJs are going to do what I need them to do.

It's a holdover from my old 1911 days when I loaded two mags progressively with 2 Glaser Safety rounds followed by 2 JHP+P rounds and then 3 FMJ+P rounds. Glasers can be defeated by several layers (or winter coats in some instances) so there was a need to escalate penetrating power after the first two shots in each mag.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2014 at 10:33pm
My latest theory is that plain ball ammo is the way to go. Fmj.

Sent from a phone booth
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 12:43am
I carry Speer Gold Dots or Hydrashocks in my M&P 40 and Speers in my 1911. At work it's 9mm ball.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 8:29am
A few years ago, we used Golden Sabers at work. As far as I can tell, those have been rotated out in favor of what looks like Winchester Ranger SXTs. I'll have to ask the arsenal guys for sure.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 10:41am
Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty.

We don't have much choice here, supply is limited.

The thing is pistol rounds are pathetic. None of them have enough energy. You can't cheat physics. A fragmenting round works quite well in a rifle because of the energy in the hits. The temporary wound channel gets torn up by the fragments and gets turned into a permanent wound. The pistols simply don't have the energy to use this.

The petals peel off in the first 5 inches, which isn't deep enough to do real damage. They make minute puncture wounds which won't incapacitate anyone. The whole round weighs in at 95 grains and then splits into 9 pieces? Retained bullet weight is the king to pistol "power".

Thinking outside the box is good. Not know where the box is, or what it is for is bad.

The "cuts like a buzzsaw" claim is also BS.

Get a quality HP from guys like Winchester, Hornady, Speer or a couple of other manufacturers and you're golden. If you are FORCED to use non HP-ammo, you can look into some brands like the CorBon Pow'R ball, Magsafe Q or Hornady HS2.

If you MUST have copper HVHP ammo, get Corbon DPX.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 10:47am
If you are down to using a pistol, you have been doing something wrong for the last 800m. I use FMJ's in my M1911 and M9, keep it simple, and aim smart, center chest with follow up headshot, wound pattern not really an issue.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

...Hydrashocks in my M&P 40 

This.

I'm doing the same. I'm in the process of saving my shiny pennies for a M&P Shield, since its much easier to carry then the full frame is, but as far as ammo goes, I love the Hydrashocks.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 10:58am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

If you are down to using a pistol, you have been doing something wrong for the last 800m.

...in some lines of work, 8 feet is about all we get when the SHTF, forget 800m. Big smile

Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 12:00pm
I have Hyrdashock in both .45 for my 1911 and in 9 for my LC9.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

If you are down to using a pistol, you have been doing something wrong for the last 800m. I use FMJ's in my M1911 and M9, keep it simple, and aim smart, center chest with follow up headshot, wound pattern not really an issue.

Shot placement. Period.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 1:23pm
Federal HST at work, and Winchester Ranger when I'm off the clock. I prefer a hollow point over a full metal jacket, but, as stated, shot placement is more important than ammo selection.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 1:31pm
I don't carry HP for stopping power.  I carry them to limit over-penetration.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

The "cuts like a buzzsaw" claim is also BS.

Agreed. I don't think the bullet would be spinning that fast by the time it hit the target, much less sit there spinning and cutting through and then proceeding on.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

I don't carry HP for stopping power. †I carry them to limit over-penetration. †

This.

When my buddy had to shoot a guy in the line of duty, the Department (and may still, not sure) issued 9mm Sig Sauer 226 pistols using Federal Hydra-shok ammo. Hey Mods, if I didn't get specifically descriptive, would it be ok to give a general idea what the bullets did after they hit the above mentioned criminal?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

I don't carry HP for stopping power.  I carry them to limit over-penetration.  

This.

When my buddy had to shoot a guy in the line of duty, the Department (and may still, not sure) issued 9mm Sig Sauer 226 pistols using Federal Hydra-shok ammo. Hey Mods, if I didn't get specifically descriptive, would it be ok to give a general idea what the bullets did after they hit the above mentioned criminal?

Call it professional curiosity- but go ahead.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2014 at 9:20pm
I'll be a fifth to endorse Hydra Shoks. My dad was an avid shooter and those were his personal defense rounds of choice so I guess I just followed suite.

I don't carry much anymore, but my two carry guns of choose are a Glock G36 and my Springfield Champion. Both .45 in Hydras.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic