FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to do

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do
    Posted: 30 January 2014 at 12:39pm
Have to make a decision, Momma gave approval for some additional funding for motorcycles and my annual MX budget. Here is my problem. I want to get more into vintage class to slow down, and I have a shot at buying a 82 YZ-490J, a beast that I rode back then. Slow down? Back in the day that bike would try and separate my arms from my body o starts as it was sit on the gas cap, roll on the power and hold on for dear life. Or take the avail funds and further mod my 13 YZ250F with auto clutch and other engine mods, as well as mod the XR650L into an Adventure distance cruising bike. You know saddle bags, windshield, and other toys. Can't do all.

I have my 78 YZ400E for vintage but that 490 is a memory factory, I really do not want to continue running 'fast' on the YZ250, running 40+ class and giving away 20+yrs to the youngins is a lot. Vintage class is just for 'fun' no points or trophies. I sold that 78 CR125M I rode last year, too small for my weight, and the 400 is just about right, that 490 has it will hurt me written all over it.

I made a promise to Momma that after the 2015 season I am done 'racing' and in return she is getting her MC license and learning to ride on my CRF250L. I can still ride dirt, but no more 'racing' except maybe the endurance races, if I promise to not race, but just do laps upright and not get hurt. Just the idea of putter runs together her on the 250, me on the 650, just doing stuff together is a good thing. Had to put a lowering link in the 250L so she could plant her feet, and is a hoot watching her 'learn' on the backyard track when it is not freezing out. I had to tune down the 250L from a more race mode, to near stock, still is a handful for her. And she likes the upright riding of a dirt bike over street bikes as well.

The Harley's are gone, I still love to ride, still 'working' at the local MX track, and our vintage group is doing a 'backhoe' weekend in the spring and making a more 'friendly' vintage track in the backyard rather than these modern 'air time' tracks, those old suspentions or lack there of make modern tracks a bit of an issue. One of the advantages of no neighbors is we can build this track and no one will care.

Won it!!!!!!!! on Ebay 1982 YZ-490J for $1525
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/161206769232_1.jpg

Edited by oldsoldier - 30 January 2014 at 9:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic