FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

White Tail Hunting:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Tail Hunting:
    Posted: 29 January 2014 at 8:56am
So, I've decided to get my hunting license for MD this year so I can bag a couple of white tail deer and possibly some grouse and turkey as well.

Only problem I face is that all the local hunting grounds are Shotgun/Muzzleloader only for firearms season. In short, that gives me 3 options.

• Standard smoothbore 12ga shotgun
  • Modern muzzleloader (CVA or the like)
  • Rifled slug gun or slug/shot combo set

Obviously the smoothbore would let me go both bird and buck, but without the accuracy I'd like for the deer hunting.

The modern muzzleloader would be fantastic for deer, but gives me no real option for the fowling.

The combo seems like the best thing to go with, but the cost is at the very top of my range for a lower-end combo.

Add in the fact that I'll more than likely need some sort of optics and mount system for the deer hunt, and things start getting real expensive real fast.

Of course, this would all be a moot point if we had a standard rifle season around here, but that would be too easy now wouldn't it.

Now, the front runners that I've found so far are:
Muzzleloader
Combo

I'm trying to stay away from the smooth bore only option as I'd go with an O/U and finding one that would be in my price range that would accept a scope is tough.

So, anyone have any suggestions? Anything I should look at but haven't?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2014 at 9:37am
Find a used one?  You shouldn't really need a scope for a slug gun.  When are the seasons?  If they don't overlap, you can get a slud gun now and get a smooth bore in a couple of months for birds. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2014 at 1:13pm
I think I'm going to wind up going with a new barrel for my Maverick 88. I can get a 24" rifled, ported 12ga slug barrel with cantilevered scope mount for $112. Then come fowl season, I'll grab a 28" barrel with the accu-choke system.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2014 at 2:57pm
You would be hard pressed to beat an 870 or the like. Hell, used Winchesters from the good old days are cheap and plentiful.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2014 at 3:39pm
Sat on back porch, coffee in hand,H&R Model 71 45/70 'Buffalo Rifle' in lap, OH look, out in the field, maybe 50m out, 'BOOM', deer jerky, deer sausage, deer steaks in freezer. A tough 15min hunt if I do say so myself, coffee got cool.

As for 'muzzle loader' I use a Springfield 1861 .58 rifled musket, have not had one walk or run away from one of those hits either.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2014 at 7:30pm
So, it was just too good a deal to pass up over on Numrich. $112 with free shipping for a 24" Mossy 500 Super Slugster 12ga fully rifled and ported accu-choke barrel with integrated cantilevered scope mount.

That leaves me ~$100 or so for a decent BDC scope for 50-100 yards.

I figure Foster or Sabot slugs plus that should put some meat in the freezer.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2014 at 12:21am
You may need to try a few different sabot slugs to find one that really works, and they have a tendency to vary by lot. I can vouch for the terminal performance of Hornady SSTs and heard good things about the newer offerings from Remington, but sometimes the older, heavier slugs like the Federal Barnes expander or even Lightfield Hybrids or Brennakkes give better and more consistent accuracy. When you get one that works well, buy a pile of them. The last season I went out I missed twice, checked my zero and was shooting over a foot low, either bumped my sights or different lot of ammo. Lesson learned. Nikkon seems to offer the best glass at the low end of the price range. I'll be scoping my little 20 bore upon my return to the states, looking for something very low powered at the low end with moderate magnification at the high nd, this means likely a 30mm tube and more $$$.
proteus316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proteus316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2014 at 1:25am
Too late now since you bought the barrel, but bowhunters kill tons of deer, I would've gone with buckshot. $100 for a scope is hardly worth wasting money on. I'd buy $100 worth of slugs and practice my shooting. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2014 at 1:40am
Just a question, why all the need for a 'scope' at 'slug' ranges. I have yet to shoot deer in excess of 100m and use iron sights, usually the shot is less than 50m, and a pair of bino's as spotting assist in the brush. Off porch no need.

I have a H&R 870 clone with slug barrel, and a few years ago dropped a deer with a standard 437gr (1oz) slug. I prefer big bore as not to need to chase the wounded ones, 45/70 405gr or .58 minie' balls as well as any 437gr slug tend to drop em right there.

If I were going this route would get the H&R Model 71 Ultra Light Slug Hunter $242.14 at CTD. Simple and light, weaver scope mounts already installed, and idiot proof.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2014 at 4:10am
Low light and brush are my big reasons for considering optics. I've had too many missed opportunities when I could not take an ethical shot because I just couldn't tell if there was a twig in my way, or make out the factory sights. I love irons, but my slug un, and many more offer a poor sight radius of about 12". Had I brought out grandpa's smooth bore Model 12 with home-made fixed receiver mounted irons with a fat florescent bead front and V-not rear and 32" sight radius I actually would have been much more likely to get a hit, and a bit more confident.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2014 at 8:08am
Mosserg 500 with a 20" slug barrel and 24" bird barrel with chokes.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=390774240 
occasionally Sports Authority will sell the combo pack for around $200. You can get the cantilever to mount a scope for ease of barrel change and not screwing with your zero.

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2014 at 8:10am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Just a question, why all the need for a 'scope' at 'slug' ranges. I have yet to shoot deer in excess of 100m and use iron sights, usually the shot is less than 50m, and a pair of bino's as spotting assist in the brush. Off porch no need.

rednekk98 basically answered my main need for some glass.

Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

Low light and brush are my big reasons for considering optics.

I'll be using irons with my rifle when hunting back in WV, but around here, since it's shotgun and muzzleloader only for firearms season, and since I'm using a 500bbl on my Maverick 88, that means I don't have any stock rear sights. 88's only have a bead on the front of the barrel, no rifle sights, no ghost ring, no fiber, nada. What's more, I'm in wooded, rolling hills with a LOT of brush. Local regs require firing from an elevated position or with a "significant earthen backstop" (i.e. the side of a hill). After all, the hunting grounds around here are usually very small and there are lots of other people and even domiciles around that could suffer some less than desirable consequences with a missed shot if you don't have something there to act as a backstop. If I was out in NE with some prairie land or thinned woods, it'd be one thing, but over here, it's a different game, and the regs mean that scoped is better, just to make sure.

Originally posted by proteus316 proteus316 wrote:

I would've gone with buckshot.

It's illegal to use anything other than slugs for deer where I live.

You may need to try a few different sabot slugs to find one that really works, and they have a tendency to vary by lot. I can vouch for the terminal performance of Hornady SSTs and heard good things about the newer offerings from Remington, but sometimes the older, heavier slugs like the Federal Barnes expander or even Lightfield Hybrids or Brennakkes give better and more consistent accuracy.

Yeah, I was reading an article yesterday that said that Brennakkes and traditional Fosters work very well out of fully rifled barrels given the stabilization from both the spin of the rifling and then the "rifled" grooves they have (actually, they're for stabilization when used in smoothbore guns, they don't actually impart any spin on the round) I figured I'd get a reasonable zero on my gun, strap it into a sled, and then see what gives me the most consistent performance out of the different types of rounds and go with what seems to work best.

Nikkon seems to offer the best glass at the low end of the price range.
Yeah, I saw that they were pretty predominant on the sites I've checked. Obviously I'll not be taking a shot at more than 100 yards for all intents and purposes, so low power but good field of vision is important. Most everything I've seen suggests 3-9x40 for slugs and muzzleloaders. Is that what you'd go with? Or would you suggest a different power?

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2014 at 8:12am
3x9 is more than enough.

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2014 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

3x9 is more than enough.

Should I go with a lower power then?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2014 at 12:56pm
For less than the 100m a 3X9 wallyworld .22/airgun scope will work, I have an airsoft tactical scope on my real AR15, will take the shock and for the price can't beat it, no need to have a high end scope that will count hairs at the range you are working with with slugs.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2014 at 7:06am
I'm looking at 1-4Xor 2-7X respectively. Some of the AR type scopes might have the eye-relief and durability. Slug guns murder scopes, something designed for a rimfire might not hold up, but a 50 or 75 yard parallax setting helps. I was looking into something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-Trophy-XLT-Riflescope-1-5-6x42mm-Matte-Black-Illuminated-4A-Reticle-/251379209620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a875e5594 it's big, but about what I want.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2014 at 7:26am
I have one of these Simmons pistol scopes on my Mosin M44 mounted as a scout scope.  It has tons of eye relief and has held up for several hundred rounds without losing it's zero. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2014 at 1:41pm
Here it is mounted.  Nice and compact and gives you an idea of the eye relief. 

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2014 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Here it is mounted.  Nice and compact and gives you an idea of the eye relief.

Pic is borked. Not showing up.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2014 at 4:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic