FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

COLD and heating fuel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: COLD and heating fuel
    Posted: 25 January 2014 at 1:19pm
We have our second $650 propane bill for a total of $1100 for the month for propane. Three furnaces, 2 in main house one in 'Man Cave/Garage/Kennels'. House set at 60*, mancave at 50*, basement coal stove going full time and glowing, fireplace in TV room when occupied, and still $1100 for the month.

Propane price has doubled, so we are now pricing alternatives.

House is up on a ridge/hill with no wind block tree lines, a lot of drafts due to age, and a lot of foam sealant going anywhere we feel a draft. Winds are constant from N or NW, night temps near or below 0* almost every night. Hot Tub froze and shell is cracked so it's done, so this winter has been costly and it is not done yet.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2014 at 2:57pm
We've had two weeks of solid sub-freezing temperatures here with a few scattered days in the mid 30's here an there for the rest of the month and our heating oil consumption has stayed the same. We're still on 1970's aluminum clad wood single-pane double-sash windows with storm windows on the exterior. Baseboard hot water radiators, and a 95% efficient Burnham boiler. No problems at all with ours. Keeping it at a constant 70*F all day and drop it to 65*F at night (we like to sleep cool). Average cost is about $200/mo and we do a 10-mo budget of equal payments. We'll actually come in below budget this year despite it being colder than usual thanks to replacing the old mercury switch thermostats with digital ones.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2014 at 8:02pm
Sleep cool huh?  yeah we have our heat at 66 when we are home and 60 at night.  There's a high of -6 for Monday again.  Is it June yet?

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2014 at 8:48pm
its been mid tow 40s here so far.  I've only had to scrape frost once in the morning.  
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 3:33am
Here in the 1970's-80's apartment buildings where we have single pane windows, adhering bubble wrap to them does seems to help significantly and cut down on bills.

Edited by rednekk98 - 26 January 2014 at 3:34am
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 12:08pm
 ^^^ Good suggestion . . . augmenting that with an inside layer of plastic over the entire window will help even more but you have to keep an eye on any condensation.  (Not a bad idea to check behind the bubble wrap for this.)

This spring would be a good time for looking into fast growing shrubs that can be planted as a wind break.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 1:03pm
I'd invest in better insulation/siding.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 1:54pm
Just back from another Home Depot run. Temps in 50's so getting a lot done. House already has sealed vinyl siding, good insulation, it is just all the 'leaks' where drafts get through.

Typical old farmhouse, no 2 window dimentions same, so a custom fit packing required, downstairs done, sliding door in kitchen is windward so big time draft there. Windows are dual paned insulated but still a slight draft in the standard 30kt winds There are spots where the foundation and footings have gaps, sealing them as well.

Coal stove still going, the duct work cleaned out and good house circulation, fireplace is going as well, split a lot of wood yesterday, we are good for this year on wood. Great price on bulk coal, $125 a ton, with a few 50lb bags of imported Pennsylvania hard coal, dumped on old barn foundation and covered. 2 days of heat for three or four softball sized chunks, burns hot have to have a boil bowl on top to keep air from drying out too bad.

We are pricing several non propane options, Mini-Split heating cooling system so far in the lead.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 5:43am
Isn't 2x$650 $1300?

Oh and I heard a good one recently. Most of our heating is electrical as we used to have cheap electricity. Not so much anymore. So they are punting fireplaces as new "renewable energy" systems for heating houses.

Lol.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 8:49am
Check to see where the heat is escaping from. Usually the problem is not the window itself but lack of insulation around the window frame. Spray foam insulation from home depot helps that.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2014 at 5:28pm

Man this is a chunk of change, no natural gas there?  Our heat in the winter is about $110/month,  I have a boiler system that heats all the floors, as well as the floors in the garage and a NG fireplace.

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2014 at 6:09am
Floor heat is the tatas. Standard in the ROK, just takes quite a while to kick in, and is best appreciated if you sleep on the floor. A few people have had good luck with terracotta pots and cheap candles, I'm sure you could figure it out with google.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2014 at 10:57am
I love my heated marble floors.  I also love having my utilities included in my rent.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic