FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hey Reb!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey Reb!
    Posted: 16 January 2014 at 12:43pm
Did you delete your account on teh bookface?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 1:51pm
Yes, I was getting on here today to let the few of you I'm connected with that I did, in fact do that.

It was brought to my attention during an interview yesterday, that my tenure on there has been in place since the inception of the site. That being said there was a lot of things on there that had some eyebrows raised, and it was suggested that for the purpose of ALL future application processes, that I either trim it back or stop using it. The amount of crap on there was too much to moderate, so I pulled the plug. I'm contemplating a stripped down version with no pics, info, or opinions later on down the road, but for right now, I'm feeling the single most liberated man on earth.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 2:00pm
Sounds like a good idea for the time being.

When/if you DO start back up, make sure to set your privacy settings to the most secure that you can. I've got it so that the majority of the things I post are for people in my "friends" circle only.

I know that won't stop someone really intent on prying, but it helps some. I've got a buddy who closed his recently because he's applied for a position with the DoD. When he started back up, he used a throw-away gmail account and a fake name. That let him get out from under the microscope AND choose who he decides to befriend.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 2:29pm
Exactly why my profile pic isn't me, and last name is skewed.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Sounds like a good idea for the time being.

When/if you DO start back up, make sure to set your privacy settings to the most secure that you can. I've got it so that the majority of the things I post are for people in my "friends" circle only.

I know that won't stop someone really intent on prying, but it helps some. I've got a buddy who closed his recently because he's applied for a position with the DoD. When he started back up, he used a throw-away gmail account and a fake name. That let him get out from under the microscope AND choose who he decides to befriend.

yeah, that's all fine and good, until the people who are hiring you say, "Hi, have a seat, log into your account for me."

if I start back up, it'll be very extremely stripped down, and well AFTER I land work somewhere.

The thing of it was, like I said, I've been on it since its inception. It was CREATED for people in my age and situation, so I joined it a million years ago, and never got around to changing or hiding info once it exploded. Now its come back to bite me a bit- especially when people might not have the same sense of humor that I do, and I recognize this.

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 3:47pm
"log in to your facebook account"

"I don't have one"
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

"log in to your facebook account"

"I don't have one"

Yup.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 5:53pm
That's not really an option. You don't lie to a law enforcement agency about that sort of thing. Especially since I (was) friends with people in town, who are very close to the people i interviewed with.

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 6:31pm
I deleted mine awhile back. It's liberating and I can't tell you how much drama I avoid. My family keeps prodding to add me as a friend so this was easier. I did have my last name horribly misspelled before that.

I may create a new account that looks professional in case employers ask. I suspect most would call BS if you said you don't have one.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 6:54pm
When I started applying, I went through and deleted just  about every photo I've ever had where alcohol was visible, and went back and deleted tons of statuses. I like Twitter way more than FB these days anyways.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2014 at 7:35pm
When I was applying I left me name the same but blocked all other information.  I also changed my profile picture.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 10:14pm
My aunt, a teacher, had to delete family from her FB because her district didn't like that she was friends of military people (marines and army) that spoke out against our president. One was my brother, and he doesn't even post much political stuff. My cousin, on the other hand, has gone overboard on the anti-Obama views. I think it's silly how association with someone can jeopardize your job. My aunt was told to either delete them or be fired.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2014 at 10:50am
^^^ Wow . . . that sounds like a free speech/free association lawsuit in the making. 

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2014 at 7:56pm
I would recommend making a stripped down version like you mentioned and just keeping it with close friends and family. That way it won't seem suspicious that you don't have a FB page.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2014 at 1:02am
Mine is pretty stripped down, I have a whopping 34 friends on there.  I never update my status, and use it for family events like getting together for the holidays or family reunions.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2014 at 12:17pm
Mine exists solely for looking at pics of grandkids and playing the occasional game of words with friends.
Dazed View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Romped around naked in thorn bushes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2014 at 1:36pm
Reb also jumped off the tweeter apparently. Now where am I supposed to be sarcastic at you?
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2014 at 12:08am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

...military people (marines and army) that spoke out against our president...

They may want to be careful themselves. I don't know anyone who's had any problems, but there are definitely personnel monitoring facebutt.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2014 at 12:14am
There was a Marine a couple years ago that got in a lot of trouble for posting crap about the President.  Definitely a no-go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic