FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Xbox One thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xbox One thoughts
    Posted: 03 January 2014 at 1:15am
Soo.. These don't seem too popular so I'll share my thoughts on mine.

I like it, and I'm the type that prefers the simplicity of the N64.

I never got into the gimmicks, apps, and doodads of the 360. Setting up the XB1 requires a lot of time. I probably took two hours to set it up, but once I got it running, it worked pretty well

What I like:
-For as complex as it is, it's simple to use and get into. There is a LOT you can do, yet it isn't hard to get used to it.
-Voice activation. It's pretty fun to walk into the room, yell "Xbox on" and have your tv, xbox, and cable box turn on. Unfortunately I keep mine on power save mode so it takes forever to turn on, although at least Microsoft/GoogleSkynet isn't watching then.
- Facial recognition login
-kinect isn't buggy
-You can exit a game at any time to go to the home screen without consequence.
- smart glass is excellent

What I don't like:
-I had to install 5gigs to play Dead Rising, a good chunk of which came in the form of an update. I have hick Pennsylvania Internet, I want to put in a disc and play
-watching cable TV is buggy, but seems to be getting much better. Still pointless IMHO.
-they did away with friends profiles. I liked seeing the stupid titles and such that people had.
-no good demo game. Both the wii and original kinect had excellent demo games, and at least Wii Sports really showed the potential of the system and was stupid fun. The first kinect was bundled with an also decent demo game, although I never owned an original kinect. All I got was "Kinect Sports Preseason" which is one jetski race.
-Microsoft tries to nickel and dime you on every app.
-No backwards compatability. I'll still be using my 360 for GTAV.

So far the only game I have is Dead Rising.

Edited by SSOK - 03 January 2014 at 1:17am
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 9:29am
I'm at a toss up on the PS4 and XB1. I greatly prefer the X-Box controller design but I'm also pretty disappointed in the XB1's hardware disadvantage. With last generation the PS3 has a slight advantage but at the end of the day it was just a difference on paper and the 360 ended up being my personal preference when the choice was there.

Here, though, it seems like the XB1's hardware issues directly affect its ability to output at 1080P and that's a pretty huge deal for me. I do most of my gaming on PC and I've become pretty spoiled to 1080P / 60 frames, so that's really what I expected out of this generation with consoles. I wanted one of them do motivate me to stop using my PC rig because generally I'm a console gamer at heart.

The other issue for me is racing games. I'm a MASSIVE Forza fan (I think I dumped near 100 hours in 3 and 4) and Gran Turismo as a series hasn't offered much in the way of competition since 4.

TL;DR-

PS4=Superior hardware, better design, better price

XB1=Better controller, freaking Forza :(
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 10:52am
I currently own a PS4 and I love it so far.  I was a big fan of the 360 controller but the PS4 controller is fantastic.  It's very comfortable to use and a great improvement over the PS3 controller.  It now has concave triggers with pull similar to an 360 controller and is little bigger/heavier then before.  Sony also added a small speaker, like the Wii Remote but I have only seen some arcade games use this feature.  I haven't seen much use for the little touch pad in the middle but that doesn't bother me.  Only downside I see so far is the battery doesn't stay charged for very long.

I always preferred the 360 dashboard to the PS3.  I'm still not overly fond of the PS4 dashboard but have not used or seen much of the XB1 dashboard to make a fair comparison.  If you press the PS button on the controller, it flows seamlessly to the dashboard and allows you to view friends, chats, etc.

PSN is cheaper then Live and is not required to watch Netflix/Amazon Video.   If you do pay, they give you some free games every month.  They provided Resogun as one of the first free games and I found it to be a pretty fun arcade game.  I haven't played anything online like COD, or Battlefield so I don't know how online play is.  I've also haven't used the chat function much because I only know 3 or 4 people with a PS4 right now.  I currently own AC: Black Flag, NBA 2k14 and FIFA.

Like stratoaxe, I loved playing Forza and miss it.  I will probably pick up an XB1 sometime around March when Titanfall comes outs.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 2:24pm
I have a PS4. I like it.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 3:31pm

Friend loaned me his ps3 so I could try out GT6... My lord, that game has physics for a baby clown at the circus. I've gone back to plugging away at the (still beta) Assetto Corsa, where the tire physics are almost too too real. 

edit: Consoles are for babby. >:)

Edited by BARREL BREAK - 03 January 2014 at 3:31pm
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 7:49pm
PC Master Race representing.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Friend loaned me his ps3 so I could try out GT6... My lord, that game has physics for a baby clown at the circus. I've gone back to plugging away at the (still beta) Assetto Corsa, where the tire physics are almost too too real. 

edit: Consoles are for babby. >:)

Yeah for me Gran Turismo always felt like cars were floating or ice skating instead of actually gripping the road.

Originally posted by Rofl Mao Rofl Mao wrote:

PC Master Race representing.

I realized why PC gaming is so awesome this year. I was a HUGE fan of Fallout 3 but New Vegas just didn't do it for me. Well, this year I picked up NV on PC and, through the wonders of modding I now have a proper Fallout game with decent graphics and weapons that don't look like grade school drawings come to life.

Edited by stratoaxe - 03 January 2014 at 9:50pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 10:14pm

Project Nevada should be required for New Vegas on PC, imo. It makes every single aspect of the game better, from working Infra/NV modes on powered helms, to significantly improved combat, to just, well, everything.

I may have put over a hundred hours into 3 playthroughs of that game...

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 10:32pm
Yeah, I'm at 73 hours right now on my second playthrough and I'm probably 3/4 of the way through.

I swear by ENB's on PC. I use ENB injectors on both Skyrim and New vegas and the results are amazing. Skyrim especially gets borderline photorealistic at times (I'll go ahead and say that three years from now I'll feel stupid for saying that).

Otherwise, I've used Project Nevada and Nevada Skies on both playthroughs. Outside of those, I use 4K textures, WME, Fallout Classic Weapons, and then a whole slew of character retextures and weapon mods. I stopped using weapon packs and now just download each weapon individually, I've found that you get a much higher quality model that way.

EVE is another must have on New Vegas, really cleans up the combat / blood animations. The only trouble with modding Bethesda games is that you eventually reach a point where the game just starts losing stability. I gave up on having a proper load order 30 mods ago.

*edit* Yeah, I realize NV wasn't Bethesda Embarrassed

Edited by stratoaxe - 03 January 2014 at 10:34pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2014 at 3:10am
I finally started playing Fallout 2 the other day. Tonight I tried to perform first aid for 4 in game days for 12hp, and died maybe 8 times. Hooked.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2014 at 5:32am
I've played through Fallout 2 many many times.  The first thing I always do is slowly make my way down the coast to the Enclave outpost and steal a few sets of advanced power armor and some energy weapons.  Then I make my way back up to the main story line and masacre everyone.  
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2014 at 10:18am
I loved New Vegas. I played on the 360, but it is still near and dear to me.

I beat DR3. It's pretty fun, but too easy. I think I completed the whole game with the exception of finding all the blue prints with several game days to spare. I liked how time was a challenge for DR1.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Then I make my way back up to the main story line and masacre everyone.  

That's how I was in Skyrim. Why should we believe you are Dragonborn?

Because I'm the only one here wearing a full set of Dragon Plate!

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 12:15pm
In my normal behind-the-times way I just got Skyrim for the 360. It was a reward to myself for passing my qualifying exams. 

After the first hour of not knowing what in the hell I was doing and getting trampled to death by mammoths I think I finally have the hang of it. It's wicked addicting. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 12:16pm
Oh, and I got Peggle for my iPad. Good stuff. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

In my normal behind-the-times way I just got Skyrim for the 360. It was a reward to myself for passing my qualifying exams. 

After the first hour of not knowing what in the hell I was doing and getting trampled to death by mammoths I think I finally have the hang of it. It's wicked addicting. 

Really? Thought the first hour would have been taken up with all the updates that were required.

Fun game. Need to start playing it again.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2014 at 7:14pm
I bought that damn game thinking I might be able to get over my hate of high fantasy long enough to enjoy it, but no such luck. "Oh please won't you fetch my elf shoes? Oh no a dragon!"
WolfG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WolfG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2014 at 7:15am
I'd like to get an Xbox One but I'm going to wait until its like loads cheaper next year! Also the fact that neither the PS4 or the Xbox One are backwards compatible is pretty poor.. I've read into it and it doesn't sound like it would've been possible.. but as far as I'm concerned, the Xbox 360 has all the games I want and mine still works so I'm happy with that until they stop actually releasing Xbox 360 games!
See you on the field!
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2014 at 8:52am
My biggest regret with buying a PS4, is that now I feel like I need a bigger/better TV.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2014 at 10:36am
What do you guys think of PlayStation Now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic