FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying used markers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying used markers
    Posted: 14 February 2014 at 5:11pm
If there's a leak where the ASA comes in, then It's likely just a loose connection that needs teflon tape, or a bad bottle o-ring.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
paul17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2014 at 11:13am
I honestly cant remember. There is a chance I forgot to do that. But I have seen many people screw in the bottles and only then cocking the marker without any leaks, even though its the wrong to do. Also even if that is the reason I cannot think that gas should leak from any place other than maybe the barrel. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2014 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by paul17 paul17 wrote:

When I screwed in the co2 it was spraying out of the part where the asa connects to the receiver and where the barrel screws in. I'm not sure what the caus may be . I think i might just be old o- rings.

Did you have the marker cocked before screwing in the CO2? If not, the hammer resting on the valve can cause that symptom.
paul17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2014 at 1:29pm
Thanks allot for all the help. I actually went to have a look at the marker.

When I screwed in the co2 it was spraying out of the part where the asa connects to the receiver and where the barrel screws in. I'm not sure what the caus may be . I think i might just be old o- rings.

The only reason i'm still looking at it is because the seller is now pretty much selling it for parts so I can get it for a ridiculous price. 

Any ideas as to how I should go about fixing it or anyone has similar experiences?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Some one else may want to chime in on the response trigger. The only way that I know of to check it is to fire it. If the marker fires with a pull of the trigger and fires again when the trigger resets, it should be good to go.

You're thinking of the reactive mode of certain electronic triggers.  The response trigger should push the trigger back forward and reset it faster.  Properly tuned a response trigger can emulate the effect of full automatic fire.

Yep, Mack's got it on this one.

I'll never forget the first game we played at my old shop when the R/T came out. Guys who were used to owning the field with their Angel LEDs suddenly found themselves in sticky situations when a single 14 year old kid opened up on them from a ridge line with a properly tuned R/T, a Lapco BigShot, and 12v Revy. Wish I could have video taped that one, it was brilliant!
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2014 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Some one else may want to chime in on the response trigger. The only way that I know of to check it is to fire it. If the marker fires with a pull of the trigger and fires again when the trigger resets, it should be good to go.

You're thinking of the reactive mode of certain electronic triggers.  The response trigger should push the trigger back forward and reset it faster.  Properly tuned a response trigger can emulate the effect of full automatic fire.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2014 at 7:35am
Originally posted by paul17 paul17 wrote:

You said to spray the marker with some soapy water, but there is probably specific areas you should do this such as one the gas line , but where exactly should you focus on looking for gas leaks?

Pretty much anywhere the air system connects to anything, so around fittings between the ASA (air supply adapter) and the bottom line, between the bottom line and the valve body, etc.
WolfG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WolfG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 12:52pm
This kid might be able to help 
See you on the field!
paul17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2014 at 9:28am
You said to spray the marker with some soapy water, but there is probably specific areas you should do this such as one the gas line , but where exactly should you focus on looking for gas leaks?
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 10:27am
OK, a new valve costs about $40 dollars U.S.
Here is a link to a few videos to help you with the main valve. I have not personally rebuilt or replaced one in my A5.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+replace+the+main+valve+on+a+Tippmann+A5&sm=3
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

paul17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 4:57am
 Thanks this helps allot.
How would you go about checking a response trigger. Obvious if it works it works, but I get the feeling that the can develop gas leaks. Also how difficult and expensive is it to replace the valve if there is gas leaking from the barrel?
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2013 at 8:55am
Go here and down load the A5 manual.

http://www.tippmann.com/ProductManuals.aspx

Bring a full CO2 or HPA tank with you, marker oil and a bottle of soapy water.
Step 1. Ensure the safety is ON, if the barrel is not attached, do so and cock the marker.
Step 2. Put a drop of marker oil on the O ring of the tank, a small drop in the port of the ASA (that is where you screw the tank to the marker) and while pointing the marker away from you and everyone else, screw the air source tank (CO2 or HPA) to the ASA.
Now, if there is a valve problem, air/gas would be coming out of the barrel. If that happens, the valve may need replacement or rebuild or if you are lucky, some oil (marker oil that does not contain petroleum).
Step 3. If no leaks coming from barrel. spray the marker with the soapy water and look for bubbles. Bubbles will indicate leaks, loose fittings or screws.  As for the finish, you can always Krylon to repaint it.
Oh one last thing, remove the hopper and pump the manual advance lever on the right side of the marker, look at the cyclone, it should move with every pump of the lever. now point it in a safe direction, take off the sock and turn off the safety, pull the trigger once or twice to see if the cyclone moves. Don't panic, it will dry fire air/gas and will be a bit loud. If the cyclone moves then the marker is in working order. 
If you make the purchase, consider the O rings to be worn out and replace them.

Edited by Ceesman762 - 31 December 2013 at 9:06am
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

paul17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2013 at 2:49am
What do I need to look out for when buying a paint ball gun?

So I am looking at an used A5 (older version) so I would like to focus on this specific marker.

Lets assume the seller cannot provide you with any useful, reliable information on the gun .How do I go about making sure this marker is in working condition and will stay that way for time to come or detect possible problems that need fixing?

I would think that the best thing to do is strip the gun and inspect the different parts, but I have no experience with taking markers apart and I doubt allot of seller would allow you to do so.

First you should probably put gas in the gun. Now if there is no audible noise and it shoots pain balls and the cyclone feeds properly all seems good, but how do I know that there isn't a small leak somewhere. 

Then also wear and tear. I can live with a few scratches on the marker , but I have heard allot of talk about having to replace different worn out parts, especially on the cyclone . So how do I inspect the marker to make sure that no parts are worn out? Are there any tell tale sign's I should look out for? How do I know the internals are still good?

So the long and the short of this story is : how do I inspect a marker in 10 minutes at a sellers house to make sure that everything is working , preferably without taking it apart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic