FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Workplace drama

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Workplace drama
    Posted: 09 December 2013 at 5:58pm
So I figured I can have a moan on here and maybe get some advice as from previous threads some of you have dealt with similar situations.

Basically I work as an Insurance advisor for a pretty big insurer. I have been with the company for 2 years come January. For about a year and a half of this time I've been content just cruising through my time there. Doing what needs to be done and keeping the head down as these places have stung me in the past with workplace politics. 

So I moved to a different office in March/April and relatively quickly made a name for myself with my managers as being very competent and became a point of referral for the department in all things motor insurance. This was always balanced by the fact I wasn't too fussed about sucking up to managers or trying to out-do any of my colleagues.

After a reshuffle I now have one of the Operations managers as my team leader and she seems keen to get me doing other things and into a management mindset. I figured it's about time I put a bit of effort in and tried to get myself off the phones so I'm going with it. Now I thought this was all fine and dandy but I have recently found out another team member who I considered a mate has been sniping behind my back as he feels I am stealing his thunder. This has involved him (already in a seconded management role) going through my calls that have been submitted for a pay review and trying to rip them apart and finding faults to report to her. This could affect me getting the wage increase I've been going for for about 3 months,

I have found out about it and read the emails (a good 2 page chain)and I'm not a happy bunny, however he doesn't know that I know and I'm not one for causing conflict. How would you guys go about this? Should I just keep plodding on and not react to it? or should I dig him up in private and tell him how it is. ie If you have a problem with your position then keep me out of it and you don't mess with my money/prospects otherwise we will have some real problems to deal with.

Possible options:
Deal with it, judge this guy on what he has done and not bring it up but don't get involved with his pish in future.
Punch him in his stupid face and set an example to the office.
Bring it up and give him a chance to explain himself.
Punch him in his stupid face.
Ensure my performance is faultless and go into direct competition for any jobs going leading to some sitcom-esque antics.
Kick him in his stupid balls.

Edited by scotchyscotch - 09 December 2013 at 6:08pm
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2013 at 8:02pm
Give him enough rope to let himself hang.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2013 at 12:06am
I am assuming your boss showed you the e-mails?  If so, I would do 2 things.

1. let her know, however you see fit, that if you were in a management position, you wouldn't bother her with issues that you could fix yourself.  If you found the descrepencies that he did, you would correct them at your level.  That should let her know that you are a more competent manager, which could put you ahead of him.

2.  Tell him that you don't appreciate him ratting you out and if he finds issues with your work, the proper thing to do is let you know so you can fix it. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2013 at 2:42am
Yeah the boss showed me, This complicates the issue as if I were to pull him up about it then he would know she told me which could land her in it also.

It's not that he is ratting me out, he wasn't happy with how he was appraised, rather than him justifying his work being of a higher standard than he gets credit for he went after me as I have been appraised at an advanced level whereas he has not. I have never seen us as being in competition and I'm actually gutted that he thinks that's an acceptable way to deal with issues he has with the management. 

So it's not so much I am being ratted out, moreso that he has taken it upon himself to give me a pay review when he has absolutely no right to do so. I have about a years experience on this guy and he has no reason to believe that he is superior to me at this scale. He has decided that to get ahead rather than show why he is good enough for more credit he has tried to take me down. 

I reckon I'm gonna have to keep it under my hat for now and get on with it, this should give a decent impression to the boss as in her own words "If you're going to be a manager, you're going to get this *poop* There's always someone that wants to see you fail" So as much as it's out of character and I feel like a willy because of it I think I'll need to just just get on with getting on.

So I think I agree with you Eville with the bigger man approach. It's bloody lonely on the moral high ground though.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2013 at 3:09am
Definitely go with the "bigger man" approach to it. As impulse! said, give him enough rope and he'll hang himself. Companies want to see efficiency and the ability to do the job without getting into petty back-biting. He's only hurting his career by being the sneaky little weasel he is. Upper echelon people see him throwing you under the bus for what it is, trying to divert attention from his own shortcomings. They aren't fooled by that kind of stuff.

If I were you, I'd just give him the cold-shoulder and get on with it. Keep your head held high, and show your boss that you are the one who deserves to be in charge.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2013 at 7:23am
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2013 at 8:34am
I'll all for punching these days, but it may not be the best course of action. 

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2013 at 9:34am
Jesus, this forum has fallen off.

skinhat, etc.

But seriously, as long as your manager has approached you and you feel that things are on the up and up as far as his/her evaluation of your performance goes, I'd do as others said. Let him dig his own grave.

And THEN go with the nut kicking.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 10 December 2013 at 9:35am
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2013 at 6:15pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Given that Scotchy lives in the UK, that is probably his only real option since boolits and tech-nines are pretty much illegal over there....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Given that Scotchy lives in the UK, that is probably his only real option since boolits and tech-nines are pretty much illegal over there....

Ok then, Scotchy, use what your ancestors used to settle arguments.

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 9:08am
use one of these.

Edited by Ceesman762 - 11 December 2013 at 9:09am
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 5:37pm
Yeah so that issue is resolved, however I might still need some pointers from you guys.

Over the next few months I will be taking on some managerial roles at this place. Basically either looking after the team I am in and also being the support point for another two teams that will be managerless at times. 

It's gonna be a strange transition from "that guy that doesn't give a *poop* and wants to dick around all the time" to a serious pint of coaching, assessment and in hopefully rare circumstances disciplinarian. As I will be mostly taking on the role wit my existing colleagues who vary between longer tenure, older and the inexperienced how would you guys suggest I approach it?

The people I've had little to do with in other teams are not a problem I'll just take them as they come as I seem to have developed a decent rep as a go to guy that doesn't mess about and gets the issue resolved and they have no excuse not to play the game. I am however concerned about how to approach my existing colleagues when going about the feedback and corrective side of the job?

Any tips for essentially giving orders to people that you're pals with after a long time on the same level? 
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 6:02pm
Praise in public, chastise in private. Don't micromanage. 
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 6:14pm
Scotchy, chances are this guy's rep is already known. It is already a good chance that your rep is too. He's seen as a weasel and your seen as the level-headed guy. As the others have said, he'll tie his own noose. He'll probably try to go at you again from the same or slightly different angle. He's also probably counting on a reaction from you. Don't let him have it. Ignore the bad behavior, but never forget it. Karma can be a wonderful workmate as this guy keeps stepping in the steamy piles going after you.

Just wait. It will sort itself out eventually and you'll be the one on top.

Now, if you happen to spy him in a pub some time from now - a blindside is warranted if there are no witnesses.   
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 6:23pm
It's actually been sorted and seems to have been a misunderstanding (of sorts) I'm still not particularly happy but I've come to the conclusion it wasn't about me. He was pissed off about something else and made IMO a poor decision on how to handle it. He's not off the hook by any means but that's how I am treating it and I think it'll do me more good not to take it personally.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 12:21am
In my experience "misunderstanding" is sometimes code for someone getting caught while purposely being a rectal opening who then tries to play it off as an unintentional mistake. 

In your shoes I would accept the resolution but still be on my guard around this "friend."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic