Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bumponalog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumponalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice
    Posted: 20 November 2013 at 12:25pm
Hi all,

I'm playing paintball this weekend with my son, this will be the first time for both of us but I'm fairly sure we will love it.  I need advice on a marker.  On the local Craigslist forums there are some pretty decent 'looking' guns but I'm not sure how they function.  Since I'm on the Tippmann site I'll start with the Tippmann 98 vs. 98 Custom.  Is this a decent beginner gun?  Will either (or both) be better than a rental?  Can someone please comment on these two markers or recommned something for my son and I?

Thanks so much!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 12:46pm
The Tippmann 98 platform actually makes up the bulk of the older rental fleets out there (with a smattering of even older Tippmann Pro-Lites and markers from other companies as well). The reason so many places use them as rentals is that simply put, you can't beat them. They're the AK47 of the paintball world. Made in large numbers, relatively inexpensive, and will operate in any type of weather or conditions so long as you aren't being silly about it.

The '98 has been around since 1998, (hence the model name) and there are several iterations of them. 1st generation '98's have "gills" up by the breech. These were weight saving and stylistic components which were dropped when Tippmann went to the much more versatile '98 Custom (or '98c in industry parlance) the '98c is to paintball what the Honda Civic is to the car-tuner community. Available on the cheap, easy to fix, and they have about a million upgrades that just drop right in without any cutting or measuring on your part. The 98c was made to allow drop-in parts like the R/T trigger system, the e-bolt system, low pressure kits, expansion chambers, high pressure air systems, force-feed hopper systems, etc. etc. You can literally take a $50 craigslist gun and turn it into something that will keep up with an electro-pneumatic marker even today.

Tippmann eventually overhauled the platform to make maintenance easier with the 98 Custom Platinum. And while I haven't had much hands-on experience with that one, I DO know that there aren't as many ready-to-go upgrades available since most companies wound up focusing on upgrades to the X7 platform which is more popular with military simulation (milsim)players.

Now, as for how much better a craigslist '98 will be vs the field's rental guns, it really depends on whether they have any upgrades to them. The first thing that will give you an advantage over a field rental would be the barrel. If any of the craigslist markers have upgraded barrels, they are instantly going to be more accurate than a field rental. That's more than half the battle right there. Next would be air system upgrades (does it come with a CO2 tank or a HPA/N2 tank that is still in it's hydrostatic testing dates? Does it have an expansion chamber? Low pressure kit? etc. etc.) then trigger upgrades like the R/T trigger (works best with CO2, and turns it into a full-auto machine gun) e-trigger (replaces the mechanical sear system with an electronically actuated one, giving you full auto and select fire elements) or a rather rare e-bolt (which makes the marker fully electro-pneumatic, no need to explain now, but just know it's a very good thing!). Next comes hopper upgrades. Battery powered or "cyclone" air-powered hopper systems are good even when using a semi-auto-only marker. It prevents ball hop, misfeeding, and chopping which can all make for a less fun time out. Lastly, any cosmetic upgrades (stocks, rear cocking, different foregrips) would give you little to no advantage over a rental gun.

If it's something you think you are going to do again and again, then investing in a purchase is a great thing. Just remember, you'll need not only the gun, but the air supply tank, hopper, barrel squeegee, and most importantly, an ASTM certified paintball mask. The field will supply you all of these things with a rental, but you might not get all of them with your craigslist pick-up.

If you want, you can PM me with some links to ads you're looking at, and I'd be more than happy to help you make a decision. Good luck, have fun, and welcome to a great sport!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumponalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 3:23pm
Hey tallen702,

Thanks so much.  Not sure about the PM thing on this site yet but here are a couple of links that I've been looking at:

Any info. is greatly apprecaited, thanks so much.

bump
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 3:51pm
The one with the RT is the best bet. The one for $90 in oregon city. RT's allow a sort of burst mode when the trigger is half squeezed. 

They're all great markers though. I would pass on the Alpha Black nonsense though, I think they look silly. 

The old 98 Customs are a classic to me. It was my first marker and by far my favorite. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumponalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 5:06pm
Thanks man (assuming)-so the 98 custom is pretty good as far as upgrading?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumponalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 5:08pm
Is $90 a good deal for the one in Oregon City?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by bumponalog bumponalog wrote:

Thanks man (assuming)-so the 98 custom is pretty good as far as upgrading?

Yes. You can pretty much do anything you want to them. Check out the "marker gallery" section to get an idea of how far you can upgrade them.

Is $90 a good deal for the one in Oregon City?

Good deal is an understatement on that package! That's the R/T (burst/full auto) a hopper that will keep up with it (the Evolution II) and a mask and CO2 tank. About all you really need is a better barrel (12" or 14" J&J Ceramic would be perfect) and some pods and a pod pack (to carry extra ammo) and you're pretty well set for quite some time to come.

The R/T is a neat system. It siphons the blowback (exhaust) gas from the valve and uses it to power a little air-ram behind the trigger. Adjusting the pressure you apply to the trigger and the pressure the R/T air ram exerts back out on the trigger allows you to essentially "bounce" the trigger making it full-auto/burst all while still giving you the ability to go semi-auto without flipping any switches or pressing any buttons. It's a great, fool-proof system.

But I digress, I'd definitely go with the Oregon City one. That's a steal at that price!

To give you an idea, here's an example of how fast they shoot:

http://youtu.be/7Iu1iea8ZBo?t=26s

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 8:52pm
My favorite marker is my 98 of that generation with a cyclone, RT, various barrels I use, with some small doodads. I own cooler/fancier/newer markers but that never let me down and it's dirt simple.

Also a bit of nostalgia because It was my first and my parents bought it for me in 2005.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2013 at 12:04pm
I had a 98 before it was a "Custom".  /hipster
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2013 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Bet you had a lot of fun drilling/cutting out parts of that thing just to get aftermarket upgrades to fit.....

I remember getting the paper templates in the R/T and E-Bolt kits the first few months that they made them so we could cut the receiver halves for them to fit on the "gilled" 98's.

I have a gilled 98 myself for my e-bolt franken-tippmann.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2013 at 2:29pm
I had fun drilling and cutting just for stuffs and giggles.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2013 at 9:11pm

I have a Factory F/A and a Crosman 3357
/hipster
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2013 at 7:52am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

/hipster

What? No Bulldog SMG-60? Wannabe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumponalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2013 at 11:12am
Thanks everyone for the advice...we'll see what happens this weekend.  I'm planning on lots of welts.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2013 at 11:35am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

/hipster

What? No Bulldog SMG-60? Wannabe

I like markers that don't shoot unobtainium.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2013 at 2:17pm

Thanks everyone for the advice...we'll see what happens this weekend.  I'm planning on lots of welts.

That's half the fun!

"Hey honey, we're home! Check out this awesome welt I got right on the neck!"

Then you get to dodge the accusations of necking with some hussy in the parking lot for the next week since it totally looks like a hickey!

Have fun man! Report back to us when you get a chance, I'd love to hear how everything went, and if you're completely hooked like most of us were after one game.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic