FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another dog thread...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another dog thread...
    Posted: 17 November 2013 at 2:09pm
So earlier in the last thread I told you about my big mate Bouncer being put to sleep, at the time we had the luxury of a "spare dog" Lizzie, a 5 year old Heinz 57 collie/??,

Lizzie came into our home by accident. She was abandoned after her previous owners were evicted from a scheme about 2 miles from me. She was a skinny mallinky dug with no trust of anyone, this was expected from any dog in a strange place never mind that she had been living feral for what we can only guess to be a few days. She had her moments of snarling and snapping at people she didn't know ie the vet, me, postman etc so if she went to the ca/dog home there is little doubt she would have been put down.

After 5 years at our house she had calmed down and become secure in herself and her situation. me and her were like siblings in that we would just want to wind each other up. We had our moments as she was prone to going adventures over the back gardens, nicking stuff out the bins and even pinching my dinner off the kitchen worktop. The vet who knows our family now after the two dogs we have had and his practice is in the park where we walked them said he had never seen a turnaround in a dog like that. Just shows what can happen when you give a dog a chance and put up with a bit while they adjust.

Well about two months ago she was diagnosed with Lymphoma, put on steroids and the decision was made chemo was not going to go ahead as the perceived benefit of a few months of having a dog was outweighed by the fact we would have a dog that couldn't do anything that dogs live to do ie chase a ball roll about in puddles and generally run about the place.  We would have a dog that was ill and lethargic all the time with no idea why, pain killers and drugs are no substitute for rawhide bones and squeaky tennis balls.

Where previously she would have been running about barking at the strange people in the house she stayed where she was n the floor and without issue gave the vet her arm for the catheter and her head went onto the floor, this was a young dog who was tired and had no energy left. A crying shame at only 6 years old. 

My pal Lizzie went to sleep without issue and with no change in her appearance this helped me with the decision we had made although I know that doesn't matter on the grand scale of things.

If you have a dog of your own this might be a good moment to take them a walk, throw a ball around for an hour or bring home a doggy treat for them, these really are treasured moments that as the old cliche goes are priceless and the memories that your wee hairy friend can give you and the love and fun you can give them back really is what pet ownership is all about and will cement the distinction between a mans pet and his family and place your dog securely in the latter. 

Sorry for the rambling on but I thought it was a nice story up until the dead dog part.

Edited by scotchyscotch - 17 November 2013 at 2:37pm
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2013 at 7:54pm
Sorry to hear that Scotchy. Dogs are family, and it's always hard to see them go. You gave her a good life.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic