FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It's taken 26 years...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's taken 26 years...
    Posted: 09 November 2013 at 6:51pm
But I finally learned that I should budget money. For the last month I have been out of work because I work seasonally. Receiving unemployment isn't possible for seasonal positions. Even though I still pay taxes for it, so screw them. Had I budgeted my money during the 6 months of my summer seasonal job where I made about $22,000 I could have taken this as a nice vacation. $44,000 a year is not a bad haul for a cook, I am sure Tallen knows this. Instead I paid off my $2,500 in credit during the summer only to max it out again by the time I start working next Friday. The cross country $500 in gas trip didn't help either.

The worst part is I only played paintball about 5 times in the last year, though I did buy a $1,600 gun.

On that note, working seasonally is the best choice I ever made. I should have done it 6 years ago when I was younger and before I wasted my money on school that I will never use. Living on a mountain skiing every day is amazing. Getting a job at Matsuhisa this season is hopefully an amazing opportunity. Check it out, the food is wicked good:

http://www.matsuhisavail.com/

I don't know why I write this other than this last month has made me realize I am retarded and I hope to finally change myself. Plus you people will call me dumb most likely, and its reassuring to know someone else agrees. Also you fools are all my age so you may know the woes of my stupidity.

Enjoy the day people, my rambling has ended.

TL:DR DON'T CARE
Que pasa?

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2013 at 1:59am
Now that I have to start paying for my own insurance and student loans, I am glad I have been pretty good with money in the past. Also extremely grateful to have a great girlfriend that will house me. If we didn't live together, I would not be able to make ends meet and would be putting myself into uncontrollable debt. I can see how bad it was for my mom as a single parent of two children and incurring debt and having to file for bankruptcy.

Hopefully soon, I'll be making the big bucks to live a more lavish lifestyle as I consider myself pretty conservative with my money.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2013 at 2:07pm
Awww yeah son! Working for Nobu?! That's effing AWESOME! Mad props man. He's one of my favorite Asiatic chefs out there.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2013 at 2:53pm
Not for Nobu exactly. Just one of his restaurants hah. Though in January he is coming to town for a week. If I can work here for the whole season. I won't have to work for the resort next year with their bad pay.
Que pasa?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2013 at 7:52am
Just because you don't work directly underneath him doesn't mean you don't work FOR him. Never forget that. It's a huge part of the industry and your career. They're still his recipes, it's still his restaurant and still his method. Whether you're in his flagship store or one of the outliers, it's still working for him. My buddy Matt Louis worked for Keller, not at Laundry, but one of his other places. Keller tapped him to be the guy to open Per Se even though he was never at Laundry. Don't sell the experience or yourself short. You're learning some pretty cool stuff there I'm sure. I ♥ his first cookbook and use tons of the recipes on a regular basis.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic