FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More on Jobs..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More on Jobs..
    Posted: 29 October 2013 at 9:47am
Well, as of last week, my Field Training with the local PD is complete.
It would have been done sooner, but the town slashed us to 20 hours a week, which added considerable time to the whole process, as well as limiting our exposure to certain aspects of police work. But whatever.

I submit my paperwork friday and then wait for the certification to come.

Here's the fun part.
Now we (the other recruit I mentioned way back when) and I wait to see if we are going to get officially hired.

The chief didn't put us on the November schedule because we don't have our certification, nor are we picked up by the town in any official capacity beyond training.
That being said, since she needs swinging dicks in the field for Halloween, there was a slight bend in the rules, and we're on that night.

The town itself is offering no hints either way as to what they're going to do. On one hand, they okayed the purchase of new bullet-resistant vests for us, but told the chief NOT to have us sized for winter jackets, the order for which was going in last week. My theory is that they don't expect us to be around in the winter time, so I'm not holding my breath for a hire.

Civil Service exams are coming up, which will put me on the list for County Sheriff, Municipal Patrol officer, and University Police across the state. My dream right now is that I do well enough on the State University exam that I get canvas letters from places that are very, very far away from this town.

Long and short of it is, I'm probably done with local PD now that the training is complete. I've learned a lot, but there's certainly gaps in the training since a small-town department is not really the kind of place you're going to see a lot of action when you're relegated to 2.5 shifts a week.

I'm also not going to miss being paid $7.25 an hour to do police work.

Onward and upward.

............All of this being said, and all the negatives considered, I am in no way regretful of the change in career direction I've taken. The only thing I'm bent up about is that it took me this long to realize what I wanted to be when I grew up. I really enjoy what I do (when I get to do it) and I feel like I'm accomplishing more than I ever did staring at a computer screen.
Plus, there's the added benefit of getting to shoot other people's ammunition when it comes time to go to the range. For only the second time in my adult life, I was able to shoot many, many bullets without feeling a twinge of pain in my wallet.  LOL

Edited by Reb Cpl - 29 October 2013 at 9:51am

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 5:52pm
Oh, good. The guess work is all but over.
We signed up to take additional training classes in December, and the town board just called the chief and basically told her "No more training for them."

Let the job hunt intensify.

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 6:10pm
"as well as limiting our exposure to certain aspects of police work. But whatever."

Such as?

I wish you luck Reb, and congratulate on how far you have come. You stuck it out, that's a lot more than most people can say.

Edited by impulse418 - 29 October 2013 at 6:10pm
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

"as well as limiting our exposure to certain aspects of police work. But whatever."

Such as?

Such as felony arrests. We haven't had a whole lot to deal with and process. Sleepy little town doesn't see much of that stuff, and even less when the shifts are scattered out over the entire month.

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 8:42pm
Best of luck to you Reb! You'll make a difference in a place that actually appreciates it's employees.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 7:35am
Tallen gave me a bunch of leads for his area that I'm going to track down as soon as my certificate comes in, so that's something to go on as well. The gem of that is that I'm out of NYS.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 1:31pm
Reb, if you're considering anything and everything, here's NC's DOJ website. I don't know if your cert would transfer here without 1-3 years of experience or not, but there are always a pretty large numbers of agencies in the state hiring.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 2:09pm
Sorry you're part of a screwy system, you're a heads up guy so I'm sure you'll land on your feet somewhere.

Good luck  man.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 2:58pm
New twist. We're on the schedule for November now, but not solo shifts. Since we aren't hired, even with the certificates we can't work solo shifts, or the Union would have a coronary.
So, we're still riding double car...and even though we'll be state certified.... $7.25 an hour. And if we complain about it, the board will say something like:

"the training's done- why are you still here?" - So in the interest of more training time, our hands are tied.

Its gotten frustrating to the point of exhaustion. I'm blanking out per-diem shifts with my other job which is paying me decent money so I can get training for a fraction of the pay. I keep telling myself that it'll pay off in the long run, but it really violates a lot of logic to turn away a 10 hour shift at $18.50 an hour to go do an 8 hour shift that nets me less than $50 once the tax bites are taken.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 6:44pm
The additional training thing is starting to bug me, and its a VERY clear indication that one- or both of us is going to be snubbed for the positions.

The training is scheduled for next month.
It will cost NOTHING.
All we needed is agency approval- the chief's signature.
She's told "No."

....which says to me very clearly- that the town does not anticipate us being around next month. If they DID, there would be no reason to deny the request for the training.

Sorry to keep bringing this stuff up here, but there's no place to complain about it. My wife's sick of hearing it, and anyone in town could go running to the board members to say that I've been **edited**ing about them. Anyway, I got my approval for the CS exams today, so I'm a step closer to out.

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 7:39pm
We don't mind your complaining.

I don't have any words of wisdom other than that sucks, and this too shall pass.

Edited by impulse418 - 03 November 2013 at 7:40pm
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2013 at 9:02pm
This is definitely a crap state of affairs and it sounds like whatever messed up "management" system is going on there couldn't find it's arse with both hands.

This sounds like micro-management/bureaucracy gone horribly and mentally wrong.

Chin up mate, you'll be onwards and upwards in no time. 
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic