FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Safety Razors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety Razors
    Posted: 26 October 2013 at 9:23pm
Ok, I'm tired of shaving with disposable razors and electric shavers. Disposable razors clog up too fast and cost too much to buy ones worth while, and electric razors don't shave close enough and they leave my throat/adam's apple burning after every shave. So I heard online from everybody that safety razors have the best shave for the buck and last a good amount of time before having to replace blades. Therefore I turn to you, oh great T&O forum, to direct me to the best start to a new life of awesome shaving. Where do I start?

P.S. I know there's an older thread about this topic but I'm too lazy to find it.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 10:07pm
My girlfriend got me a starter kit for christmas. 

I suggest a starter kit to get going. Mine came with a bowl, but I can't find my exact one. From there you can determine if you really want to upgrade anything. This way if you are satisfied with mid level product, you won't be spending over 200 on a razor when you could have gotten away with something much cheaper.

It costs a good amount up front, but soaps and a pack of razors will last you a long time. I like when my razors dull out some. When they are fresh, they cut me up a lot, but after a few uses, they are pain free as long as you don't overshave your face.

If I shave everyday, I'll do 3 passes on one day and 2 passes the second. With the grain, across the grain, against the grain.

Oh and get an alum block.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I like when my razors dull out some. When they are fresh, they cut me up a lot, but after a few uses, they are pain free as long as you don't overshave your face.

Baby face......

Quote If I shave everyday, I'll do 3 passes on one day and 2 passes the second. With the grain, across the grain, against the grain.

If you're having to make more than 2 passes and are having to use alum, you need something other than the closed comb that you have. Merkur's open-comb or slant-bar will give you a closer shave in fewer strokes. I use the open comb and get it done in one against the grain, no in-growns, no nicks or cuts.

Rofl, starter kits like Robo suggested are a good way to go, but if you want to start out on the quick and cheap, a basic DE safety razor is going to be fine with standard shaving cream and some decent blades. There's no need to put down all the cash if you aren't comfortable with the shave.

I like Classic Shaving for most of my needs. Their house-branded stuff is pretty decent as well. Click their "Getting started" drop-down menu button and read up. They have good suggestions in each category as well.

As for blades, I prefer Merkur over Feather. Feather have a much, much sharper edge and tend to cut you a bit more easily when you're first starting out. Merkur are less finely honed meaning you can use more pressure, which you're used to with disposables.

If you don't like what you see on either Robo or my suggested sites, E-Bay is a great place to pick up old Gillette Tech razors for a relatively low price. Just make sure you get them polished up by a metal shop and thoroughly soak them in barbacide before using them.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 8:49pm
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 8:41pm
Thanks for the responses guys. They really helped.

Just gotta scrounge up some dough for the initial buy, then away I go!
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2013 at 2:12pm
I use a Merkur with Feather blades.  I've had the same Vulfix brush going on a few years now.

Right now my current soap choice is between Mitchell's Wool Fat and RazoRock Lily of the Valley, both are nice.

For awhile I was using I was using RazoRock Zi Peppino which is a green tobacco scent, I need to find more of it.
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Arsenal FC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 9:16am
I use a Merkur with Merkur blades, only because I haven't ordered feathers online yet. I use some random shave soap I got for free from Art of Shaving. I have some Mach 3's I keep stashed away in case I'm in a hurry, but I use my Merkur frequently. Even though it takes longer, I'd rather spend 5 dollars on 15 blades than 15 dollars on 5 blades.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 10:00am
I shave with a Merkur Slant Bar and feather blades. I use Proraso soup, and Captians Choice Bay Rum aftershave.

Occasional use of an alum block.

I shave every day and have found I hardly take longer than I would with a Mach now.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 10:25am
Originally posted by DaveEllis DaveEllis wrote:

Right now my current soap choice is between Mitchell's Wool Fat and RazoRock Lily of the Valley

Mitchell's Wool Fat is the shiznit. A bit expensive compared to the basics, but totally worth it.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by DaveEllis DaveEllis wrote:

Right now my current soap choice is between Mitchell's Wool Fat and RazoRock Lily of the Valley

Mitchell's Wool Fat is the shiznit. A bit expensive compared to the basics, but totally worth it.

Agreed.
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

I shave with a Merkur Slant Bar and feather blades. I use Proraso soup, and Captians Choice Bay Rum aftershave.

Occasional use of an alum block.

I shave every day and have found I hardly take longer than I would with a Mach now.

I also use the Captain's Choice Bay Rum, the lack of cloves is quite nice.

I also don't think Mitchells is too expensive, if you get it in their tub it is but I just got a refill puck and put it in an old TOBS tub.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 1:27pm
I didn't say "too expensive" I just said "expensive compared to" which is true. You can get some Col. Conk's for about 2/3rd what you pay for Mitchells, but Mitchells is worth that extra scratch.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 2:12pm
I use a 1940's Gillette Tech, Edwin Jagger Badger brush, and Proraso's sensitive skin soap which is pretty awesome stuff.  Currently working my way through a blade sampler pack to see what I like best; so far, it's been Astras.  Yet to use the Feathers though.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 8:44pm
I think Astras have been my favorite in my sampler pack too. Yet to use the Feathers also.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 1:13pm
How are the open comb compared to the slant bar (or whatever they're called) types?

I currently use vintage Gillettes (one Travel Tech, a TTO Super Speed, and a full size gold plated Tech I have yet to use) which I like, but I need to pull the blade out and rinse everything almost every pass because I don't shave as often as I should. It gets really clogged up.

I'm also going to buy some Personna blades. Their cheapy ones are good to me, and I can buy their top of the line ones on eBay for $13/100. They're also the only blades made in USA.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 4:58pm
Slant bar gives you a really close shave with less irritation, but if you're prone to ingrown hairs, it'll make you miserable. The open comb will eliminate the ingrown hairs as it cuts the hair straight and right at skin level which prevents it from growing back in under the skin.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 8:12pm
I don't know how everyone else's experiences are, but I get 100000x less ingrowns after going from a cartridge to just a slant bar - far from miserable here.  Might be in part to non-aggressive Tech and blades though, and i also don't go against the grain (just with- and cross-grain).
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2013 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

I don't know how everyone else's experiences are, but I get 100000x less ingrowns after going from a cartridge to just a slant bar - far from miserable here.  Might be in part to non-aggressive Tech and blades though, and i also don't go against the grain (just with- and cross-grain).

Yep, that'll help prevent them quite a bit. A DE razor is always going to give you fewer ingrown problems. You're actually making fewer passes with the razor if you do the math, which means you aren't burying the cut ends of the whiskers down underneath the top layer of skin. If you do two passes with a Mach 5, you're actually making the equivalent of 10 passes with a DE safety razor. Meanwhile, you can make 2 passes with a DE and get the same, if not better results than the Mach 5 with fewer ancillary issues like ingrowns, cuts, dry skin, etc.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2013 at 12:57am

For the record - any Tech you're using is not a Slant Bar.

I'm fairly certain Merkur is the only one who makes a slant, which is called - the slant bar. 

WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

For the record - any Tech you're using is not a Slant Bar.

I'm fairly certain Merkur is the only one who makes a slant, which is called - the slant bar. 

Ahh, right - straight bar then.  Got my durn turminology messed up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic