FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Safety Razors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I like when my razors dull out some. When they are fresh, they cut me up a lot, but after a few uses, they are pain free as long as you don't overshave your face.

Baby face......

Quote If I shave everyday, I'll do 3 passes on one day and 2 passes the second. With the grain, across the grain, against the grain.

If you're having to make more than 2 passes and are having to use alum, you need something other than the closed comb that you have. Merkur's open-comb or slant-bar will give you a closer shave in fewer strokes. I use the open comb and get it done in one against the grain, no in-growns, no nicks or cuts.

Rofl, starter kits like Robo suggested are a good way to go, but if you want to start out on the quick and cheap, a basic DE safety razor is going to be fine with standard shaving cream and some decent blades. There's no need to put down all the cash if you aren't comfortable with the shave.

I like Classic Shaving for most of my needs. Their house-branded stuff is pretty decent as well. Click their "Getting started" drop-down menu button and read up. They have good suggestions in each category as well.

As for blades, I prefer Merkur over Feather. Feather have a much, much sharper edge and tend to cut you a bit more easily when you're first starting out. Merkur are less finely honed meaning you can use more pressure, which you're used to with disposables.

If you don't like what you see on either Robo or my suggested sites, E-Bay is a great place to pick up old Gillette Tech razors for a relatively low price. Just make sure you get them polished up by a metal shop and thoroughly soak them in barbacide before using them.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 10:07pm
My girlfriend got me a starter kit for christmas. 

I suggest a starter kit to get going. Mine came with a bowl, but I can't find my exact one. From there you can determine if you really want to upgrade anything. This way if you are satisfied with mid level product, you won't be spending over 200 on a razor when you could have gotten away with something much cheaper.

It costs a good amount up front, but soaps and a pack of razors will last you a long time. I like when my razors dull out some. When they are fresh, they cut me up a lot, but after a few uses, they are pain free as long as you don't overshave your face.

If I shave everyday, I'll do 3 passes on one day and 2 passes the second. With the grain, across the grain, against the grain.

Oh and get an alum block.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 9:23pm
Ok, I'm tired of shaving with disposable razors and electric shavers. Disposable razors clog up too fast and cost too much to buy ones worth while, and electric razors don't shave close enough and they leave my throat/adam's apple burning after every shave. So I heard online from everybody that safety razors have the best shave for the buck and last a good amount of time before having to replace blades. Therefore I turn to you, oh great T&O forum, to direct me to the best start to a new life of awesome shaving. Where do I start?

P.S. I know there's an older thread about this topic but I'm too lazy to find it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic