Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

returning veterans need advice !!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Re-tread13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re-tread13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: returning veterans need advice !!!
    Posted: 19 October 2013 at 5:48pm
My brother and I used to be serious woods-ball players,with a large group of dynamite players, on several prime acres. But as happens so frequently, we drifted away. My brother somehow just got the proverbial "wild hair" again and got me on-board,as well.
So,we decided,on a lark, to kick things off again, and this time decided to get back to our roots and go "old-school" again, keeping things on the semi-auto level.(I'd personally long felt that large teams, all with uber-hi-cap, spray&pray guns, took something away from the more interesting "creep & stealth" and ammo-discipline aspect of the game, as well as significantly increasing cost.)
Back in the day (ok, maybe 5 years ago,LOL) we started with model 98's, that we customized ourselves, with polished internals,new bolts,expansion chambers,reponse triggers, and better barrels. But we eventually moved up to A5's with E-grips and flat-line barrels.
That's as high-tech and high-dollar as we ever got, and never had any complaints.
Meanwhile,flashing forward a few idle years, we just today picked up a couple nearly new Tippmann 98 Customs,on Craigslist, with several bags of paint, several tanks and masks, and assorted other junk, for (averaging) $45 each. We tentatively have two more coming tomorrow. We're basically looking to have enough stuff to outfit a couple extra freinds, to get some small woods-ball games going again here in the woods behind the house.
We still have some parts,accessories and tanks lying around,but have some other stuff yet to buy.
I used to have a handle on what-was-what, and who the best operations were,but now, even with some Google searches, I'm stumbling in the dark again.
To get to some specifics, we're needing a heads-up on some economical, but decent quality paint, and the best sources these days for this.
Also, we used to be fond of J&J ceramic barrels, and are wondering if there's anything else we should be looking at. We're not looking for "the absolute very best of the best", just something that discernably improves on the lame stock barrels, but is as economical as possible(the best I've seen of the J&J's is $30,plus shipping.)
Anyway,enough rambling,y'all get the idea. Many thanks for any help........

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re-tread13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2013 at 6:26pm
OK,forget all that, let me simplify things: can anyone recommend a half-decent, but economical paint, and the best source for it? Thanks......M.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 9:54am
I play outlaw in my backyard quite a bit, and have found that paint from Dick's sporting goods is typically decent IF you open EACH box before you buy it and make sure none are broken, or dimpled from bad storage... 

I use xball scenario woodsball paint (it is camo) from there, and it works really well. Course since I film I often have to use brightly colored paint, and I will try and find the best paint I can that isn't dimpled for that. I have had good success with formula 13, marbalizer, All Star, and Draxxus field. 

You want an Apex 2 barrel if you are playing in the woods, as it allows you to shoot "flat" instead of an arch like normal barrels. I have used mine on my J&J with great success. And I am currently using it on my Flatline barrel which gives a much more consistent backspin. 

Dick's paint typically goes on sale around thanksgiving, and I usually buy a few cases then... If you ask a manager, they will often give you a $10 off $50 coupon... So you can get the paint on sale for $34.99 a case. (it is normally $39.99 a case around here). 

Welcome back! Be sure to get a chrono. I made a video on some stuff for backyard "outlaw" paintball for people getting into the sport. You might already know all this stuff, but here it is in case it helps. 

I have tons of video on my youtube channel, and the majority of it was filmed in my backyard. 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 21 October 2013 at 9:56am
They tremble at my name...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re-tread13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 11:32am
Many thanks for the informative reply,FE !! We do now have a Dicks in this area, so I'll be checking their stock very soon.
BTW, my brother called me last night and said that his wife "just remembered" that she tossed our guns in the attic a few years ago. ( She KNEW we'd been looking high and low for those things. I had a buddy a couple years ago, offering me $200 cash for my loaded A5, and we tore both are houses apart looking for them.)
 So, on top of the two 98 Customs we just got off Craigslist, we now have both of our E-gripped A5's back, plus an older 98 of mine, plus a very early Tippmann (I forget the model) that my brother got for nearly nothing, and we kept around as a loaner (still a good gun).
My bother held my A5 up to the phone and asked, "can you hear that?". The E-grip was ticking away when he pulled the trigger !!! That gun has been in a hot attic for at least 4 years !!  I told him to yank that old battery out,pronto !! But, I think the lazy slob is waiting till I get over there today to do it.
I think I'm more stoked about getting one of my old 98's back than the A5, which sorta complicates our "semi-auto"  plans. As i recall, I should still have another 98 hiding somewhere, one that has polished internals, StarFire bolt,expansion chamber, and some aftermarket barrel ( I forget what, but there's a Smart Parts Progressive on the 98 we just found.)
Honestly, THAT was the gun I was most hoping to find. Oh well, we still scored big, I can't complain.
NANomaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NANomaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 10:35pm
Personally, I would go with a CP Classic one piece, with a bore of .685 in a 12" version for you guys. Since all your markers are High Pressure, a shorter barrel will benefit you better then the LP variants out there. I would even consider an 8-10" if you can find one. They usually run about 30.00 each and are decent performers for the cost.

Some people like FE seem to like the Apex systems out there, whereas I like to keep things a little simpler. FE offered outstanding advice in his video and a lot of vids are very informative. just like others out there on the net.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re-tread13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 11:06pm
Thanks for the info and recommendations,NANomaD, but I've already ordered us a couple 14" J&J's, from UltimatePainball (and already in the mail). My brother was whining today that he wished he'd gotten the 16", and I was kinda wishing I'd gone with the 12", LOL!!!
Meanwhile it turns out both our local paintball companies are ditching the PB part of their operations. One of them is still liquidating stock and rental gear, and my brother said they offered him a 14" J&J ceramic that'll fit my A5, for about $20, and I may not be able to resist. I also have a Flatline for it, though I'll probably stick with whatever the heck that is I have on it now ( I forget again.) From what I remember, it worked pretty well, and is a lot handier than that big,honkin' Flatline.
I pulled that old 9 volt out of the A5, right after giving it a quick test run. I'd aslo forgotten that i could go semi-auto with the E-grip, so I switched that over,as well.
My brother and I spent much of this afternoon arguing about who had our fill-station gear, and after I dug through the attic and the couple other places that it had a chance in hell of being, I get on the phone and start ragging my brother to get up and look around his place. He found the scale in about a minute, and the rest of the rig about a minute later Angry.
We've already been calling around to find the best deal on a CO2 tank. The place we used to get it from has been bought out by another company, and aren;t giving us as nice a deal as we had before, but it'll still beat $6 a fill at the Hobby Lobby.
Anyway, we're moving right along, looking forward to donning some cammies and crawling around with the ticks !!!
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2013 at 8:08am
Wow, you guys are lucky to have found the majority of your old gear! Sounds like you guys have just about everything you need for a group to play! 

Have fun! 

Oh, I just happened to remember, you are using older a-5's and Tippmann has recalled the rear end caps on some of those, and yours might be affected (they will send you the new style for free!). 

And, inside your cyclone you probably have the white/clear ratchet... Tippmann has changed that part as they had a tendency to shear after being in extreme temperatures (like in the attic in Georgia!) and if you ask, I bet they would send you the new style black ratchet as well! 

Their email is serviceshop@Tippmann.com 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 22 October 2013 at 8:54am
They tremble at my name...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re-tread13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2013 at 7:10pm
Thanks again,FE, I'll holler at Tippmann about those A5 parts. I had to Google what you meant by "cyclone", then of course, I remembered !! We've clearly been out of the scene for too long,LOL!!
Meanwhile, I phoned around this a.m. and finally found a local welding shop that will rent us a CO2 tank for $13 a month, with re-fills @ about $40. Better than anyone else around here. Also, no delay for a credit check, nor a deposit, just need a copy of a DL. Better than the $90 deposit we had to drop a few years ago (but I don't recall them charging us a monthly rental fee...everyone seems to be doing that now).
If we charge our gang a buck per tank-fill ( same as our freinds with the local field used to do), we should be close enough to breaking even. Right now we're working on getting the old gang back in, as well as several VERY cautiously interested newb freinds, LOL !!! They've all heard the stories, and every one of them say they'll play, but only,  "if I can be on y'alls team!!"  I was telling my brother earlier today that we're going to have to break them in easy,if we want to keep them around, LOL. We can't go full-blown uber/tactical/commando on them,right off the bat,  or we'll never see them again !!  We have a favorite uncle that played with us once, and will NEVER come back !!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic