FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Applying for jobs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2013 at 3:11pm
Got invited to an on-campus interview at Ohio Northern. Liked the faculty a lot, was a little less than optimistic about how isolated it was. 

Ended up getting a job offer from them last week for an above average amount of pay. But, it was for a 4/4 class load (Meaning I teach four different classes in the fall and four different classes in the spring) as well as assisting in running the campus newspaper. So, despite it being a bigger money offer for one so early in the job season, it doesn't work out well when you look at it in a per-hour rate. 

In one of the hardest things I've had to do in a long while, I turned down the easy money offer to hold out for jobs I want more.

I'm hoping and clenching my teeth a lot at the thought that I'm going to be able to woo either of my top two jobs. I'm most likely getting invited for an on-campus interview to UMaine in January (Brrr) and I'm Skype interviewing with University of North Texas around the first week of the new year. 

So here's hoping I didn't just ruin my life by turning the ONU job down. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2013 at 3:59pm
Ada is a pretty small town. About 20 minutes from Lima and maybe 45 from Columbus. I can see it not being very attractive for a young person looking for nightlife.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2013 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Ada is a pretty small town. About 20 minutes from Lima and maybe 45 from Columbus. I can see it not being very attractive for a young person looking for nightlife.

It was a little bit of that (Although Lima and Findlay were bigger places), added with the heavy work load makes it seem like the kind of place at which I could find myself stuck. 

I don't think/know if my first position is the place I want to stay forever, and I can see getting bogged down with that course load and in that town and never leaving. 

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2013 at 6:00am
I actually got a decent job offer this week, but it requires me moving to Oklahoma City. The pay's decent (20'ish an hour) but...Oklahoma. I'll probably take it because my brother is only an hour's drive from OKC, but damn. Oklahoma.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2013 at 9:33am
OOOOk-lahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet, When the wind comes right behind the rainQ
OOOOk-lahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I, Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk makin' lazy circles in the sky.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2013 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I actually got a decent job offer this week, but it requires me moving to Oklahoma City. The pay's decent (20'ish an hour) but...Oklahoma. I'll probably take it because my brother is only an hour's drive from OKC, but damn. Oklahoma.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2014 at 12:47pm
Rejections from pretty much everywhere I applied except two: University of North Texas and Florida Gulf Coast University. 

Maine strung me a long a little bit -- after saying they'd be in contact with me a week after our Skype interview, I never heard from them. When I asked for an update, they said things were just taking longer than normal. When I checked the online jobs Wiki a lot of applicants have started, it said they already invited someone else out and offered them the position. This weekend they finally got around to telling me thanks but no thanks.

Sucks that they do it that way, but getting an academic job is just a game you have to play. 

FGCU invited me down for an on-campus interview for Thursday and Friday of this week. I'll turn on the schmooze, and if the job is offered I'll probably take it. It's listed as $49k for 3/3, which is not bad for a program of its size. I'll probably try to negotiate up to $50k just because. 

I want the North Texas job more, but my experience with getting strung along so long by my previous top choice, Maine, has made me a little uneasy. I have no way of knowing if some members of their committee are more interested in another candidate, or if they have an internal applicant from their adjunct pool, etc. It's late in the jobs season, so a job has to be a job at some point. Money needs to be on the table. 

The interesting thing about FGCU is that they 1) don't have tenure, and 2) don't have salary compression. When they formed as a university back in the 1990s they decided to be a national experiment by not having the two, but so far it's only amounted to the place being a sieve for talent. Everybody works on a 3-year renewable contract with 1.5-year evaluations. 

That's good for me, though, as I really don't want my first position to be where I work the rest of my life. I'm about to be 26, which is really rather young to be an assistant professor, and I'm going to let the academic life be one where I can explore new places by moving around jobs every now and again. So the 3-year contract gives me a nice natural exit plan, and working at helping establish some things at a young university really allows me to have a launching pad to another university. 

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2014 at 2:27pm
University of Nebraska? My father in law got laid off as a civic engineer/architech and got hired as a adjunct to full time in less than a month. Now full time. Good living, low cost of living, in Lincoln (UNL)you got all the college environment 'fun', Omaha (UNO), Kearney (UNK). Just a thought.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2014 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

University of Nebraska? My father in law got laid off as a civic engineer/architech and got hired as a adjunct to full time in less than a month. Now full time. Good living, low cost of living, in Lincoln (UNL)you got all the college environment 'fun', Omaha (UNO), Kearney (UNK). Just a thought.

Nebraska-Lincoln's college of journalism wasn't hiring. Nebraska-Kearney was for a while, but their department size meant I was going to be looking at a 4/4 or 5/5 most likely. 

Creighton was hiring, however, but they explicitly said in their posting they wanted someone with at least a little television background, which I don't have. I met every other qualification -- having print and social media experience -- but it looks like they wanted a general person to teach different classes.

It was a bummer, I like the school. 

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2014 at 9:56pm

Surely you've got years of TV* experience!

*watching

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Surely you've got years of TV* experience!

*watching

If that was part of the job criteria I'd have it already. I'd just talk about character development in Rectify and sit back and collect the paycheck. 

(If you like good TV and have not watched Rectify, you should watch Rectify) 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 5:57pm
The job interview at FGCU went well. If I had money to bet, I'd put it on me getting offered the job. And, in which case, I'll accept the job. It will be a very good launching pad for me, I think. 

Things I found out while I was there interviewing: They have a beach on campus. 

Also, I do find it slightly funny that I was super happy about the idea of getting a job and moving somewhere that once again has seasons. After my time in south Ohio I really learned to enjoy cooler weather in the fall and pleasant springs.

And now I'm going to most likely get a job even hotter and more southern than where I am now. 

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 6:06pm

Trust me, you don't want anything to do with the winter we've had this year.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

Trust me, you don't want anything to do with the winter we've had this year.

Truth, and my winter hasn't been nearly as bad as PCF's. I haven't even seen my lawn in 3 months. I figure he won't be thawed out until at least July.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 9:44pm
Yeah Whale, here at OU we had 2 cold days because it was a low of -8 and a high of 3 degrees.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 10:09pm

I think it's snowed more days than not this winter. 

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 10:20pm

My back sure could use a break. And now the county is almost out of salt so they're skimping on anything under 2 inches.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2014 at 9:46am
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

My back sure could use a break. And now the county is almost out of salt so they're skimping on anything under 2 inches.

MD and Montgomery County both ran out of salt half way through plowing this past storm. Brilliant as the bureaucrats in this state are, they didn't think to stockpile any traction aids for such eventualities. Instead, they plowed, but left a 1.5" layer of snow, which then got compacted to ice since there was no salt to melt it. Had they dropped cinders or limestone, it would have at least given some traction as they froze into the surface, but no. We had pile-up after pile-up on Tuesday morning because of it.

Good news is that it looks like we're done with snow for the year at this point. All forecast for snow and freezing rain have been changed to just rain, which is good and bad. Good because it'll melt the glacier that has been steadily building in my yard. Bad because the ground is already so saturated and all the streams are at their high limits before flood stage. I think it's going to be a messy April in the Mid Atlantic this year.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2014 at 11:06am
It snowed twice here for a combined total of less than an inch.  I don't think we had a single day with the high below freezing.  61 and sunny today.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2014 at 11:49am
It did snow about 50 minutes north of where I was, right on the border with Georgia, as well as off in the nubbin near Mobile Alabama. 

Snow in Florida will never not weird me out. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic