FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Applying for jobs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applying for jobs.
    Posted: 09 March 2014 at 11:56pm
Congrats bud.  Part of that $1500 relocation reimbursement better be used on a concrete goose.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2014 at 8:13pm
Whale . . . congratulations.  Thumbs Up
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2014 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Got the call yesterday that they are offering me the position. 

Silly whale, didn't you know this thread is no longer about your job opportunities and is now about how this is the snowiest/coldest winter in recent memory?!

Joking aside, congrats man! It must be a huge sense of accomplishment after all these years of education to finally be doing what you've gone through all of this to do!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2014 at 2:17pm
Well done sir, and congratulations. 

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2014 at 1:37pm
Got the call yesterday that they are offering me the position. 

They are offering $3.5k yearly over the listed salary for the position, doubling my conference travel funding allotment for the first year with optional renewal of the double money if I use it all, and $1,500 in relocation costs to move down there.

They said they were offering me so much because they know it's a competitive market and they want to be able to compete with all the other schools that must be interested in hiring me. I'm not going to be the one to inform them that they were the only ones interested in me at this point. Also, because I was one of the first unanimous hires in long while -- I was the top pick from the Dean of Arts & Sciences on down to the search committee. 

Going to call them back on Monday and tell them I accept the offer -- by far this is the best place for me to start my career. I may have liked other jobs on paper, but I've really liked everyone I've talked to from this place. 

Now to figure out the health insurance and retirement packages and such. 

And to get a Dunk City shirt. 

"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2014 at 7:25am
Winter was rough on central NC this year. More frozen precipitation than usual. I believe the mountains got dumped on as well. 

Weather this weak has been very confusing. Swings from 70* down to 19* and back up again, humid sun to freezing rain. Weather is a fickle female dog.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2014 at 3:42am
I loved it.  Up until a couple weeks ago.  I hate the slow transition that we have from winter into spring.  Everything turns into ice because of the day time thaws and night freezes, everything's all dirty... it just sucks.  If it weren't for my birthday in April I'd be willing to skip the next couple months.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2014 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

. . . the snots who were born in the window since we've last had a severe season are certain that the cessation of the mild winters are a sign that the world is ending and won't quit whining.

This . . . I have heard so much whining . . . and I'm tired of it also.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2014 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

The snow is melting and the temperatures are rising here . . . OMFSM* . . . it must be global warming!

Oh wait, it's just the natural cycle of winter ending . . . whew.

On a serious note, I don't mind winter, but I have had enough winter for this year.**

*Oh My Flying Spaghetti Monster

**And it really wasn't that much worse than a normal Montana winter.

Winter here is what it used to be 15, 20 years ago. Since I was a kid, I don't remember a winter with this much snow or as cold as the one we've gotten this year. The old salts are calling it a "real winter" while the snots who were born in the window since we've last had a severe season are certain that the cessation of the mild winters are a sign that the world is ending and won't quit whining.

pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2014 at 2:12pm
The golf course here opened up a little bit ago.  I can still drive an hour and a half and get to the ski resorts that have 100" base.  How strange.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2014 at 1:12pm
37* right now 1210PM 3/8/14. Promises of mid 60's tomorrow and near 70 Monday. Getting bikes out, and going to 'practice' at track with the YZ250F and the YZ490J tomorrow.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2014 at 9:52am
The snow is melting and the temperatures are rising here . . . OMFSM* . . . it must be global warming!

Oh wait, it's just the natural cycle of winter ending . . . whew.

On a serious note, I don't mind winter, but I have had enough winter for this year.**

*Oh My Flying Spaghetti Monster

**And it really wasn't that much worse than a normal Montana winter.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2014 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

There's a high of 40 today.  I will be driving with my windows down.
I ate lunch in the car today with all of the windows down. It was amazing.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2014 at 12:02pm
There's a high of 40 today.  I will be driving with my windows down.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2014 at 11:49am
It did snow about 50 minutes north of where I was, right on the border with Georgia, as well as off in the nubbin near Mobile Alabama. 

Snow in Florida will never not weird me out. 
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2014 at 11:06am
It snowed twice here for a combined total of less than an inch.  I don't think we had a single day with the high below freezing.  61 and sunny today.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2014 at 9:46am
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

I think it's snowed more days than not this winter. 

My back sure could use a break. And now the county is almost out of salt so they're skimping on anything under 2 inches.

MD and Montgomery County both ran out of salt half way through plowing this past storm. Brilliant as the bureaucrats in this state are, they didn't think to stockpile any traction aids for such eventualities. Instead, they plowed, but left a 1.5" layer of snow, which then got compacted to ice since there was no salt to melt it. Had they dropped cinders or limestone, it would have at least given some traction as they froze into the surface, but no. We had pile-up after pile-up on Tuesday morning because of it.

Good news is that it looks like we're done with snow for the year at this point. All forecast for snow and freezing rain have been changed to just rain, which is good and bad. Good because it'll melt the glacier that has been steadily building in my yard. Bad because the ground is already so saturated and all the streams are at their high limits before flood stage. I think it's going to be a messy April in the Mid Atlantic this year.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 10:20pm

My back sure could use a break. And now the county is almost out of salt so they're skimping on anything under 2 inches.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 10:09pm

bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 9:44pm
Yeah Whale, here at OU we had 2 cold days because it was a low of -8 and a high of 3 degrees.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic