Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Car Buying Experts, What should I offer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Buying Experts, What should I offer?
    Posted: 25 September 2013 at 10:15am
So, I'm really interested in this truck but I've never bought a vehicle before. I spoke to the guy on the phone today(it's a ways away from me) and he initially said that it was about as low as he could go, or maybe a couple hundred lower.

However, he mentioned that they specialize in diesel trucks, and he wanted to get it gone so he could get another diesel on the lot.

My question is, how much can I expect to actually talk them down on the price? I'll be paying in full, because I plan on financing through my bank and not their dealership.

Thanks in advance, fellas.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 10:21am
Find the value of it on one of the online value estimators... That will give you the "real" value of the truck. Bargain based on those numbers... (I usually print it out and show it to them...)

If you can find another simliar vehicle for sale, bring that price as well. The more hard data you have the better you will do. 

On a $29,700 truck, there is quite a bit of negotiation room. I would want at least $3,000 more knocked off that price, and that is before I looked at the comps...

Oh, and be ready to walk, never get locked in to a "certain" one. I usually leave, and let them call me back... Sometimes it takes a few days, but since you are looking at the end of the month, that is good for you, as their numbers are all based on each month, and they get desperate to close deals and include them in the numbers once the end of the month rolls around. 

You get your best deals on the last day of the month in used or new cars...
They tremble at my name...
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 11:13am
That's a lot of money for a 4x4 with almost 80k. I seem to remember my dad paying slightly more for a F250 with 30k on it.

Unless you're in love with the yuppie Denali package or wheels I'd pass.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 11:28am
I would go private sale, save you the sales tax.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Oh, and be ready to walk, never get locked in to a "certain" one. 

THIS.  The biggest tool you have with car dealerships is the threat for you to "go elsewhere", whether it be deciding not to purchase or simply going to a different dealership.

You want to seem more interested in simply acquiring a vehicle, rather than a super-specific package that they have on the lot.  They know they have more leverage if they know that what they have is exactly what you're looking for.

The best thing you can do is figure out your "number" via the methods FE posted (and, besides, something that YOU feel comfortable with), and figure out what you want included with it as well.  Simply put it in terms of "I'm a buyer at $XX,XXX if you also include this and that".  You need to sell that you're very uninterested in the vehicle if they ask more than your bottomline number.

Their biggest weapon is if they know you're essentially a buyer from the start, and are just looking to save some money.  They know they have FAR MORE leverage in that type of situation.

Also, remember that add-ins such as free maintenance and service are of little cost to them.  They may try to make it seem that adding in such things is a big hassle, will break the deal, etc.  Don't believe them.  

Just be wary of the terms of servicing and similar - a friend of mine thought he had it figured out, but ended up having to pay extra for service due to mandatory synthetic oil changes on his vehicle and it somehow wasn't included in the agreement.  Both a case of him not paying enough attention and an especially money-grabbing dealership (they're known to nickle and dime people in other instances).

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 12:25pm
Yeah, what FE said.

I came from a family who bought a new car every couple of years, so with all 3 of us having a car you can imagine I've spent a large amount of time in dealerships.

What I've learned is that there's quite a bit more room for profit on a used car than on a new one. Used car salesmen tend to make more money because new cars are sold on smaller profit margins and salesmen tend to make their money off of the profit not the total sale.

So what FE said about not getting stuck on a single car is what's gotten me the best deals. The vast majority of my cars weren't fully negotiated until I had went home and the dealer called me the next day finding some "magic" number system to get me the deal I had initially bargained for on the car.

I also agree that 30k is a steep investment on a 4x4 with almost 80k miles. If the Denali / 4x4 package is a must have I guess it's an okay deal, but unless you have private financing the interest on a used vehicle will likely be much higher than what you can get on a new one, so you might consider that in your purchase as well.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Yeah, what FE said.

Yup!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 3:36pm
Thanks for the wise words, guys, especially you FE.

I really do want the Denali/4x4 package, at some point. It doesn't have to be that truck in particular. I do enough out on the beach that 4x4 is necessary in my next vehicle, and I like the sierra/denali package a lot.

The mileage is right at 70K, which has been my one speed bump I worried about.

But, as far as financing goes, my bank is offering like 3.25% for 3/4/5/6 years with no penalty for early payback, which is probably the route I will go.

I'm not worried about service packages or anything like that. This particular dealership is a ways away from me, and I can change my own oil/have places in town that are friendly and cut me deals.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 4:11pm
30k is a lot to pay for a vehicle with 70k miles on it.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 7:19am
No problem, I gotta help out my biggest fan! lol. 

My honest advice is to not get a loan on a car/truck... Your standard of living goes way up when you aren't paying $400+ a month for a car payment... Although I can see why you are tempted, as that is a sweet looking truck! 

I only pay cash for my cars, and it is so much nicer that way. (course I drive older cars as well...) Insurance is less, and if you buy a dependable brand, you are typically good. I bought one car brand new, and put 300,000 miles on it, and kept it for 10 years. Since then I just buy cars for cash and I have never missed that monthly payment. When I am searching for a car, I stay away from car lots, and buy on craigslist from private owners. You get closer to "trade in" pricing that way.

When looking at a big purchase, I only buy if I can get it cheap enough that I can turn around and sell it for what I paid... That way you are never "upside down" in a big purchase. Which is why almost everything I buy is used unless it is an unbelievable sale on something new, or an open box buy...

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 7:33am
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

30k is a lot to pay for a vehicle
FTFY...

To add to FE's post above this one. If you DO have to finance a vehicle, go with something that will hold its value AND doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. That way, you save money now AND lose less in the long run when you're able to trade your vehicle in or sell it to recoup money.

I've never paid more than $21k for a car in my life, and I've owned some pretty decent cars.

You're going to be spending at least 40 hours a week in a patrol car, you probably aren't going to want to spend much more of your life in your own car. Take the $10k+ difference between a decent, fuel saving vehicle that still has some off-roading ability (Subaru Forester, Mazda CX5, etc) and that truck and spend it on a nicer place to live, or sock it away for a down payment on your house.

In the end, a vehicle is there to move you from point A to point B. And while those luxury packages are nice for the people riding with you, as the driver, you're never going to get the benefit of most of it. So long as you have hands-free calling and wheel controls for the radio, you're good.

I almost fell into the "I've got a good paying job, I can buy a really nice car" trap when I was your age. I almost bought a WRX which would have stretched me to the limit. Instead I settled for a 2.5RS which honestly, was just as much fun to drive. Good thing I didn't spend that extra money either! Something always comes up that will make you glad you didn't spend $30k on a car. Back then it was skis, trips with friends, and emergency room bills. Now it's house repairs, unexpected bills, baby on the way, etc.

Edited by tallen702 - 26 September 2013 at 7:40am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 9:37am
Wait, you're in NC right? A good friend of mine owns a good used car dealership in Raleigh that often gets trucks like that... (he normally buys high end models with mileage like that). 

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Prestige-Auto-Brokers-Inventory-sp283289

I just checked his inventory and he doesn't have anything right now, but if you call him (his name is John H at Prestige Auto Brokers), he could look out for you on one... He goes to auctions every week (is probably at one right now...) I grew up with him and he was my best man at my wedding... He is one of the few honest used car dealers. His dad is the chief mechanic, and his brother sells cars there as well. He and I spent hours working on cars together growing up! We even built up a 69 Camaro in his garage from the frame up. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Wait, you're in NC right? A good friend of mine owns a good used car dealership in Raleigh that often gets trucks like that... (he normally buys high end models with mileage like that). 

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Prestige-Auto-Brokers-Inventory-sp283289

I just checked his inventory and he doesn't have anything right now, but if you call him (his name is John H at Prestige Auto Brokers), he could look out for you on one... He goes to auctions every week (is probably at one right now...) I grew up with him and he was my best man at my wedding... He is one of the few honest used car dealers. His dad is the chief mechanic, and his brother sells cars there as well. He and I spent hours working on cars together growing up! We even built up a 69 Camaro in his garage from the frame up. 

I am in NC. I'll keep an eye on that site. I'm not in a rush, just finally in a position to get a newer vehicle.

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

30k is a lot to pay for a vehicle
FTFY...

You're going to be spending at least 40 hours a week in a patrol car, you probably aren't going to want to spend much more of your life in your own car.

That's what helped me end up settling on a 4x4 vehicle. I had been looking at some used Corvettes(25-28k), but I spend all week driving around in a fast car and get to drive it harder than I'd ever get to drive my POV.

(Subaru Forester, Mazda CX5, etc)

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

In the end, a vehicle is there to move you from point A to point B. And while those luxury packages are nice for the people riding with you, as the driver, you're never going to get the benefit of most of it. So long as you have hands-free calling and wheel controls for the radio, you're good.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 26 September 2013 at 1:27pm
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 8:13pm
     When it comes to talking price, don't play that play that BS four square game where the dealer tries to work towards a monthly payment instead of a vehicle price.
     I bought a vehicle straight out of FTO so I won't bother you much about that, but I would recommend saving up a good down payment beforehand.
     I have a fully loaded FX4 sitting in my driveway that I love, but a more basic vehicle would suffice (I often regret buying it). I agree with Tallen's point on having a lesser value vehicle and more disposable income.

In the end it is your decision. You are the person that has to live with it. Do what will make you happy, just consider all the possibilities first.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 9:59pm
I recommend googling reddit advice for buying a car or something like that. Reddit has some good sources from people that work at the dealer.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2013 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

You sir, obviously do NOT read Jalopnik....
Link
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2013 at 2:14pm
Miata buy a real car.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2013 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Miata buy a real car.

Ain't nothin' wrong with a MX5 Miata. Best bang-for-your-buck when it comes to something fun to drive.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2013 at 5:26pm

Link

Yeah, definitely lost some faith in Jalopnik with that list.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2013 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Link

Yeah, definitely lost some faith in Jalopnik with that list.

Obviously you have crap taste in good vehicles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic