Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Car Buying Experts, What should I offer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2013 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

(Subaru Forester, Mazda CX5, etc)

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You sir, obviously do NOT read Jalopnik....
Link

Yeah, definitely lost some faith in Jalopnik with that list.

Obviously you have crap taste in good vehicles.

Obviously the term "subjective taste" is lost on you sir.

*edit* To further expound, I can't imagine a Wrangler making a "most recommended" list considering their track record. Great fun, terrible mileage and reliability.

A Mazda 3 AND a Focus?

Impalas are possibly the blandest full size sedans on the market. Again, nothing wrong with them, but I'd expect more flair from an enthusiast site.

And that "any Subaru" at #1 spot is just a fanboy play.

All personal opinion of course, but far from a pure representation of taste with a list like that.

Edited by stratoaxe - 27 September 2013 at 11:01pm
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2013 at 11:43pm
Would say that #'s 5, 6, and 10 hurt the credibility of an otherwise pretty accurate list.  Would call the Subaru thing a fanboy play too, but I'm honestly yet to find an unhappy Subaru owner.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2013 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Would say that #'s 5, 6, and 10 hurt the credibility of an otherwise pretty accurate list.  Would call the Subaru thing a fanboy play too, but I'm honestly yet to find an unhappy Subaru owner.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love Subaru.

I think the Malibu and the Buick killed it for me though. The reasoning for the Malibu was essentially, "Hey look! It's not completely offensive to look at anymore!"
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2013 at 12:12am
Subaru isn't an option for me, I don't like any of their vehicles. Nothing about the quality of their cars, just not my cup of tea.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2013 at 8:26am
I'm not sure what fanboy is supposed to mean, kind of annoying how it's become a catch all phrase when you run out of facts when having a discussion on something.  If you have actual experience on the topic - in this case subaru or one of the other vehicles -  provide it, otherwise why are you even talking?  

Back to the topic,  I don't like to buy used vehicles on a car lot, they need to make their margins and there's not much room for negotiating, mind you I've dealt with one of two car lots in my town, I would imagine in big cities they're more apt to dickering on price.  Personally, I like to buy privately and now with cl and other similar sites, there are lots of options.  It's more time consuming and you need to have some mechanical experience or bring someone that does, but you find some amazing deals.  My brother in law has a Denali, I am really impressed with it, he's had it for 3 years or so and it's a nice way to put miles on, he hasn't had any issues so far.  If I find something I like, I'm with FE on this; I walk away and give it some thought, vehicles aren't a good thing to impulse buy, after the novelty of getting a new vehicle wears off, you are left with payments and wondering if you made the right choice or worse, regretting it.  I'm on my 27th vehicle, it's been a hobby over the years of buying and flipping vehicles, I love driving and if I was rich I'd have lot's of vehicles.  Good luck and happy hunting.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2013 at 9:33am
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

If you have actual experience on the topic - in this case subaru or one of the other vehicles - provide it, otherwise why are you even talking?

"Hey man, I'm in the market for a car, can you recommend one?"

"EVERY SUBARU. BUY THEM ALL."

I went into pretty decent detail on why I felt that list was silly, including why I thought #1 was a cheap play. It's personal opinion on an Internet car list guys, calm your hormones.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2013 at 9:52am
I agree with the private seller angle being the way to go...
I managed to snag a 2001 Chevy 2500 crew cab fully loaded for $5k last september. It's still worth a few grand more than I paid for it.

Just have to find the right person and situation, which may take some patience.

Edited by Bunkered - 30 September 2013 at 9:53am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2013 at 12:12pm

I went into pretty decent detail on why I felt that list was silly, including why I thought #1 was a cheap play.

And that "any Subaru" at #1 spot is just a fanboy play.

I'm sorry, but that's not really any kind of detail there.

I thought the users explained it pretty well when it came to the overall decision to include any Subaru except the B9 and Crosstrek at #1. It's not so much a matter of personal opinion in that case as it is the opinion of thousands upon thousands of readers.

I have to agree with Johnny on this, and it's not because I happen to like and respect Subaru, but rather the fact that "fanboy" has become a catch all for people who know nothing about what they're deriding.

People who like to hate on Glocks are similar. I don't personally like them (no do I like S&W automatics) but that's simply because I don't find them to be suitable for my use. I find both to be too much money for the product you get and have had personal experiences with both that lead me to choose and suggest other manufacturers. That said, I hate it when the Glock-Haters out there simply say "because, 'Glocknade' kek!" or "because plastic." without ever having handled one or had any experience what-so-ever.

Personally, I think the Jalopnik list is a fine list. It's well constructed and consists mainly of what are perennially solid choices even if they aren't necessarily exotic or exciting.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2013 at 3:09pm
Call me whatever, but there definitely is a "Fanboy" attitude toward Subarus, Apple Products, Glocks, etc. 

With the exception of the BRZ and WRX or STD or whatever Subaru is selling these days, the entire lineup of vehicles seems bland and aimed at middle aged people who think they need four wheel drive. (also, I hate people who think AWD=4WD)

I will say though, Subaru definitely has a quality product. I worked in a garage this summer, and the kid I worked with drained the transmission fluid, replaced the oil filter, then put four quarts of oil in the engine and let it drive out. The guy was about 70, and drove around for awhile like that. Car came back pouring smoke out the tailpipe and driving like crap. After draining the fluids and putting the right amount in, the car is driving fine. Worst part is, my boss knew that the engine was crazy overfilled without putting much oil in, and let the thing drive out of the shop. This was a 2011 or so Forester. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2013 at 5:33pm
Tallen, my point is that while I did say earlier that I indeed do love us Subaru as a brand, than number one spot hardly qualified as a recommendation.

Look, I don't take this conversation very seriously. I made a partly facetious remark about that list and honestly it had far less to do with Subaru at #1 and more to do with the Wrangler, Buick Verano, and Chevy Malibu. I feel like like two of those cars ( the Wrangler and Buick) are terrible recommendations and the Malibu is, as I stated earlier, by pure personal opinion a bland, meaningless car.

So no, my opinion isn't from hundreds of hours of hard use. None of us have that experience in any car, so if the prerequisite for an opinion is use than none of us should be having that conversation.

But if you ask me, "What three video games do you recommend?" and at the number one spot I say " All EA games" I haven't answered your questions. So yes, I do think that the number one spot was a terrible appeal to a single brand name, I also realize its a damn Internet list of cars that I disagree with and the world won't end as such.

Subaru is a great brand-but as of late, so is Ford or Hyundai. That said, all three lines are filled with many bland, uninteresting choices and I feel that simply saying " Everybody loved Ford" would be more copout than recommendation.

So by the logic being presented in this thread, I haven't owned a Hyundai Tiburon and therefore I can't prove that a Tiburon isn't the greatest car ever made. That's silliness.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2013 at 8:09pm
If I'm buying a vehicle, I want opinions based off of people that have the vehicle or have had it; I've gone up to people with the same vehicle I'm looking at and had great conversations about them, and not always positive..  I can read internet reviews like everyone else, but I would use that as a part - and a small part - of my decision.  I agree with Strato that the list of top vehicles to buy linked earlier would definitely not be my list, even though I have a forester.  Subaru does have a strong fan base, and I think Ford and others have definitely caught up with regards to safety ratings and reliability that subaru is known for, and they tend to be better priced than subaru.  I do prefer the awd system that subaru has, it is one of the best that I've driven, but it won't be long before the rest of the comparable vehicle industry has something just as good, if they don't already
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2013 at 9:14pm
I really like the way Ford is going with the designs of it's new cars.The new Taurus and Fusion looks sexy.
Personally, I own a 2009 Honda Civic. No problems at all since getting it in February, and it's pretty fun to drive, good fuel mileage, safe, and has great seats with lots of lower back support. I know people don't like them because they are too common, and I can see where they're coming from. Financially, it's the best option for me as a single guy with a full-time job living in a city.

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 30 September 2013 at 9:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic