Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

.40 S&W

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .40 S&W
    Posted: 24 September 2013 at 3:06am
Was grocery shopping yesterday after work.  Stopped by the Sporting Goods section as I usually do to check the empty ammo case.  What to my surprise was two 100 count boxes of Winchester .40 cal plinking ammo!  Mind you with how scarce pistol ammo has been, I've been checking everytime I go into the store.  I'd see a couple of boxes of .380 here and (gasp) some .45 there but no 9mm or .40.  At $35 per box I snagged both of them since I didn't know when I'd get another chance.  If they had 5 or more boxes, I'd have bought them too.

Anyone else having better luck getting ammo?
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 4:21am
.40 is still almost double that around here, even for the cheap stuff.  Can't find .22 to save my life.  Everything else can be had, but at a ridiculous price.  Most places are asking around $12 for a surplus paper pack of 20 x54r.  
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 8:08am
When I had to go through my firearms training back in July we were required to have 2000 rounds of 'practice ammo' and 500 rounds of 'duty ammo' - and since my town half-assed my academy sponsorship, I was responsible for all of it. They provided nothing.
I purchased about half of it, the other half I was fortunate enough to have given to me by someone on the job who for a few months took his monthly ammo allotment in .40 S&W for me.

I went through luckygunner.com and found 1000 factory reloads for about .47 cents a round- the cheapest I could find anywhere. Everyone warned me about FRs, but I fired all 1000 of them at the range over the course of about 4 days, and didn't have a single issue with them. The ones I bought were MBI - and Lucky Gunner shipped same day. I think if I need to buy bulk ammo, I'll be going through these guys again.

Especially since it appears that the price is dropping. It would- right after I need to make a bulk purchase.

http://www.luckygunner.com/m-b-i-40-s-w-ammo-for-sale-40sw180fmjmbi-1000

Edited by Reb Cpl - 24 September 2013 at 8:11am

Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 8:28am
Lgs sells 20,000 rounds of 22 every shipment day which is once a week.   It's not a mad dash like trying to get kip winger concert tickets now either.   Not sure on the price
Sent from a phone booth
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 1:49pm
The ironic thing is if everyone just stopped scooping everything up the second it hits the shelf it'll be ok in a month or so.

Honestly people are idiots. One reason I'm glad I get my .22 from Siberia, Serbia, Thailand, the Phillipeans, Europe.... that being said my last .22 purchase was 2 boxes of Winchester 555 and 1000 rounds of Remington sub-sonic.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

The ironic thing is if everyone just stopped scooping everything up the second it hits the shelf it'll be ok in a month or so.

Honestly people are idiots. One reason I'm glad I get my .22 from Siberia, Serbia, Thailand, the Phillipeans, Europe.... that being said my last .22 purchase was 2 boxes of Winchester 555 and 1000 rounds of Remington sub-sonic.

KBK

Yeah, it's pretty much been proven that the ammo-shortage in the US is artificially created by the panicked public and nothing else. It's the guys who used to go in an buy a box of this and a box of that and call it a day who are now going in and buying every box they can find, or taking their whole family in to buy when it's limited to x-boxes per person. And then, they're taking it home and simply not shooting it. It's almost like a futures market right now. People buying things before any actual run to try and cash in later.

Good news is that it's slowly starting to recede. Bad news is, every time some yahoo shoots up a building and the prez opens his mouth, people get edgy again.

I know people who live near me that literally have tends of thousands of rounds sitting in their basement. half are probably re-loads, but the other half is stuff they bought a decade ago.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 3:12pm
Yeah, the ammo storing fad around here annoys the piss out of me. For starters, all these people storing guns and ammo so they can take out the troops Obama is sending to get said guns and ammo are complete morons. There are people who genuinely would die to keep their weapon and that mentality astounds me. If they come for my AK or Glock tomorrow I'd still like to live to see my future children be born, thanks.

And then they destroy the local market for hobbyists. I can't just go to the range and shoot without paying a hundred bucks for ammo and being lectured by some ultra right wing neck beard about how the ammo shortage is because Obama bought it all for himself. You don't have to be a business major to understand how market runs happen.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 3:25pm
I have been selling ammo since the prices went so high...

Most of my stuff was really old, and when people will pay that kind of money for OLD ammo... Even reloads... They can have it!

I still have plenty of full ammo boxes that are full of what I use... I was able to get some decent trades too on some rare stuff I had in my collection of weird ammo. 

I feel sorry for fire fighters who will be facing houses full of ammo stored incorrectly in the future... I keep all of mine in a fire safe inside ammo boxes. So if my house does burn down, the ammo isn't a problem. 

I have enough 9mm and 22 ammo that I can shoot for years without ever having to buy any more. By then the prices should be back in line. Especially with all the companies who have ramped up their production lines to meet the demand...

Remember how RAM on our computers went through the roof in the early 90's. and today, you can get all 8 gigs for less than $20...

Ammo will do the same thing...
They tremble at my name...
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 3:45pm
Heh, eventually we'll be able to trade ammo as currency ala Metro.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 4:20pm
I don't think the producers will ramp anything up. They know there is no point and it'll lead to excess captial investment in the near future. Once the panic has died away it'll be back to a couple of cents a round.

I could see them running 24/7 to meet demand in the short term but I don't see them expaning factories or the like.

I don't see the point of having ammo you're not shooting either, but I've got a couple of thousand rounds of each caliber (except .454 :) ) mostly because buying bulk is cheaper and I also want to have enough to last me a while if something like this shortage happens here.

I'm not not shooting it though.

KBK
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 4:45pm
Back in the day I could get 1000 40 reloads done by my guy the next day $80 on my brass. The 45 guys at that time was about two weeks out.   This guy has multiple inline industrial reloaders.

I miss the days when the 40 was not widely used and a new caliber.   Guys at the range used to avoid that caliber like a plague.

I shot 100 rounds last week
Sent from a phone booth
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 6:17pm
I learned after 2008. So I started buying by the case. This guy is local. http://www.unammo.com
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Yeah, the ammo storing fad around here annoys the piss out of me. For starters, all these people storing guns and ammo so they can take out the troops Obama is sending to get said guns and ammo are complete morons. There are people who genuinely would die to keep their weapon and that mentality astounds me. If they come for my AK or Glock tomorrow I'd still like to live to see my future children be born, thanks.

I know it's hyperbole, but it's an thing to think about hypothetically. I'm not sure how I'd react if someone made an announcement that people were coming by to collect everyone's firearms. 

I think I'd probably just have lost them recently in a rafting accident up north.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I know it's hyperbole, but it's an thing to think about hypothetically. I'm not sure how I'd react if someone made an announcement that people were coming by to collect everyone's firearms. 

I think I'd probably just have lost them recently in a rafting accident up north.<span ="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre">     </span></span>

Yeah, I can definitely see not WANTING to give up your weapons, and I can certainly see fighting legally to keep them. But I see this like all the martyrdom talk from Christians-it's one thing to mentally assess an unlikely situation or theorize a reaction, it's another to continually plan and obsess over it.

People tend to read outlandish scenarios into mundane stories. The truth is, were gun confiscated to become a reality, shooting at cops would make you both a news story and casualty statistic. They'd plan on the occasional nut with an assault rifle taking shots at them and act accordingly. And by accordingly, I mean they'd kill him.

I'd surrender my registered guns, but my heirlooms I might hide. But bear in mind if you keep a weapon for self defense in light of a confiscation scenario you're staring at an inevitable 30 year prison sentence anyway. You'll be sentenced if they catch you and you'll be sentenced if you use it.

I certainly wouldn't take drastic, life altering steps to preserve my government classified assault weapon. If I've still got my 12 guage and my 1911 I can live a perfectly happy life without my hicap mags and automatic rifles.

Besides, America has to accomplish things as a vocal majority. Being the one dude shooting at cops / agents won't get you any where except dead.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 8:55pm
Your shotgun was used to kill 12 people in DC. Your deer rifle is a sniper rifle. And that 1911 is a weapon designed for the military and uses a military cartridge.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Your shotgun was used to kill 12 people in DC. Your deer rifle is a sniper rifle. And that 1911 is a weapon designed for the military and uses a military cartridge.

Exactly this. There are too man people saying "so long as they don't take MY guns they can take the XXXXX guns".

KBK
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Exactly this. There are too man people saying "so long as they don't take MY guns they can take the XXXXX guns".

KBK

No, I agree with you guys completely,

My point is that I'm one individual-I vote, I voice my opinion, but at the end of the day I have just the power of one vote. If a politician is elected by a majority vote who deems it necessary to take my gun, any action I take will involve money and lots of people to be effective.

In other words, dying for you gun is an unnecessary pipe dream. We live in the era of drones and GPS not flintlocks and compasses. Just because some sticks a flashlight and a foregrip on their AR doesn't mean they can suddenly take down the US government. Yet more and more people refuse to participate in politics or educate because if Obama comes after their gun, dammit he'll get a firefight.

It's not only foolish, it's detrimental to the case in general. So under the hypothetical situation proposed, yes, I'll hand over my guns. I'm not taking a prison sentence or a bullet for literally no reason.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 10:34pm
Soon you guys are going to end up like us. This list would make some of you cry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Canada#Classification_of_firearms
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 10:48pm
I don't believe the Obama administration will get anywhere with gun control. Although I think there will be this debate every twelve years or so for the forseeable future. Even if AR15s are banned there will never be "enough" gun control. 

I say every twelve years, assuming that Republicans/Democrats switch every eight years, and the Dems go after guns in their second terms.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 11:28pm
Yeah Obama won't accomplish anything under his term, much less gun control. The Republicans are all on full assault mode until 2016.

That said, I think the AWB is inevitable. I think that mandatory registration is inevitable. Confiscation is a huge likelihood over time, but I don't see it in our lifetimes barring a full on economic collapse / Marshall law situation, which I find quite unlikely but let's not start that argument.

The trouble here is that the only reason the Republican Party is so outspoken about 2nd amendment rights at the moment is to give Obama a political death by a thousand cuts, and by hurting Obama they hurt Democrats in general in 2016.

But after 2016, it's all a grey area to me. Romney had my support until the last debate where he declared his intentions to reinstate the AWB. It was at the point I realized that the Republican Party has such a similar agenda to that of the Democrats that they were having trouble even debating on the topic.

So unless we see a full breakdown and rebuild of the Republican Party, we're going to continue to see foolhardy legislation like the AWB that only affects hobbyists instead of crime statistics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic