FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should I buy something in 7.62x39?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy something in 7.62x39?
    Posted: 22 September 2013 at 6:27pm
I currently have two Mosins, an M1 carbine, a 22, a handgun and shotgun, and a retro AR I need to post pics of still.

I kinda want to start shooting x39. It seems like either of the commie x39s are still cheap while 223 and 30carb are expensive and/or hard to find.

I found a $250 SKS online. China-nese. Decisions, decisions.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2013 at 6:52pm
Decent rifles. You can fine tune them for a bit more accuracy. Reliable.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2013 at 7:21pm
Fun to shoot too. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2013 at 8:04pm
I'm not a fan of SKS's. As Ceesman said, you can tune them nicely but rather than buy an SKS and put work into it I'd just look around for a good AK. I have a Maadi that's much more accurate out past 75 yards than what people have generally described with AK's, my dad and I love it. Had a couple of SKS's growing up that were quite finicky with ammo and had some general accuracy issues.

That said, a good AK will set you back at least double the SKS and a Maadi like mine usually goes for $700+ so if you're just looking for something to burn through x39's with then an SKS would suit you fine.

I know there are x39 uppers for AR's, not sure how great they are or if that's a viable option for you.

Edited by stratoaxe - 22 September 2013 at 8:06pm
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2013 at 2:52am
5.45 upper.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2013 at 3:48am
The Sig 556R Gen2 is meant to be pretty darn good. I have no idea of their cost by you though.

I like my Saiga, but I got it from the factory in AK-103 setup. You'll need to do some work to get it set up like that.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 23 September 2013 at 3:56am
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2013 at 7:38am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

5.45 upper.

THIS.

Skip the 7.62x39 chambering and go modern. 5.45 is extremely cheap compared to all other intermediate cartridges on the market right now, and the former combloc countries are all in the process of switching either to NATO standards or 5.45 for their military weapons. Cheap 7.62x39 is going to get scarcer and scarcer. 5.45x39 is a better cartridge anyway.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 12:21am
The SKS is a fun plinker, not a surgical strike rifle with all the fancy but yet not needed do-dads and bobble and whistles modern shooters feel are needed, just a fun 100m coyote killer.

I have my ole M1A for all that reach out and touch someone needs...
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 7:19am
Why have mosin's gone up in price so much? Seems like you can't get one around here for less than $150 now, and a few years ago you could get them for $90 all day long...
They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 7:40am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Why have mosin's gone up in price so much? Seems like you can't get one around here for less than $150 now, and a few years ago you could get them for $90 all day long...

They are (amazingly) drying up. Getting harder and harder to find shootable/usable ones. Most of your sought-after models are already snatched up. True snipers are going for $500 or more now when you used to be able to pick them up for $200.

/k/ has been a big reason too. Instead of telling people to get a 10/22 for their first rifle anymore, it's pretty much expected that if you go there, you'd better have a "nugget" or face ridicule.

It's just a decent all-around rifle when it comes down to it. A monkey can strip it down and rebuild it without issue. It's got famously loose Russian tolerances. Headspacing is rarely an issue due to the rimmed cartridge. You can kill ANYTHING with one, and ammo is relatively cheap as long as you're willing to clean your rifle properly after a day at the range.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 8:39am
Yes, the supply of 91/30's and M-1944's are drying up, and the fear of the surplus import ban is driving up prices. There are only so many out there anymore.

10/22's are a good starter, good plinker, even stock. Still don't understand why all the bobbles and whistles are needed though other than the 'cool' cosmetic thing.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 8:53am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

10/22's are a good starter, good plinker, even stock.

Can't stand them personally. The rifle is PITA to clean. You can't enter from the breach with a rod, only from the muzzle. The "block" bolt is a pain to seat quickly and cleanly. And the rotary mags are crap.

I'm a huge proponent of using a older bolt-action single-shot, single-stack, or tube-fed .22LR for plinking/teaching.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

10/22's are a good starter, good plinker, even stock.

Can't stand them personally. The rifle is PITA to clean. You can't enter from the breach with a rod, only from the muzzle. The "block" bolt is a pain to seat quickly and cleanly. And the rotary mags are crap.

I'm a huge proponent of using a older bolt-action single-shot, single-stack, or tube-fed .22LR for plinking/teaching.

Yeah I never liked 10/22's. Remington makes a fantastic automatic .22 with a beautiful action that can be had for around $150 last time I bought one.

That said, I agree completely with a bolt action .22 for a first gun. My first guns were a bolt action Remington Navy .22 that belonged to my grandfather, a Winchester 94 .22 lever action, and a Wingmaster 20 guage that also belonged to my grandfather. I spent more time shooting the bolt action than the rest.

Also, and this may just be my experience, it seems like automatic .22's are incredibly finicky about ammo. I would only use CCI mini mags in my automatics because they never produced a jam.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic