FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PMC Starfire issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PMC Starfire issues
    Posted: 20 September 2013 at 3:49pm
I went to the local gun shop the other week and picked up some JHPs for my M&P 40.  The owner recommended PMC Starfire as a "great round".  I took it to the range the other day and tested it out and ran in to some problems.  The reliability of this round to feed varied wildly from every other round jamming on the feed ramp to every single round jamming on the feed ramp.  I'm bored so I thought I would share.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2013 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

M&P 40.  

There's your problem.....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 1:17am
I'm actually looking into an M&P9c or a cheap small 1911 myself.

Word on the street is people are having issues with good ammo because QC is down because of the massive demand. I myself bought a box of Rem UMC and had the box completely mislabeled with a messed up bullet on one of them.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 2:22am
Welcome to the world I live in, not being able to find quality ammo....

I've never bought Star fire ammo as I always thought it was lower tier stuff. I don't know PMC, they don't sell range ammo here. Based on this I'll be avoiding them even more.

I'd still say run with Speer Gold Dots or such. Currently Hornady Critical Duty and Critical Defense have taken a large part of our market.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 8:48am
I've never had problems with PMC in the past, but then again, I was using it to feed an extremely reliable 1911 A-1 from Springfield Armory (Imbel made).

Personally, I used to stick with UMC for my lower-tier stuff, but the prices even started going up on that.

I think it's primarily part of the reason that I've switched to shooting so many C&R/Comblock firearms these days. Wolf and Brown Bear may be crap-tier in western firearms, but they work reliably in their commie calibers in commie weapons.

Also, I know S&W has a lot of history, but I really never hear anything good about them these days from people who aren't fanbois.

Edited by tallen702 - 21 September 2013 at 8:49am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 3:38pm
This is the only ammo I've ever had problem with; actually the first failure to anything out of a couple thousand rounds.  I've fired Blazer, UMC, PMC, Winchester White Box, Wolf, Hydrashock, Speer Gold Dot, and some handloads a guy at the range gave me in exchange for some brass.  

Tallen, that is surprising to me considering how great mine has performed.  Are you sure you aren't hearing these things from Springfield/Glock fanboys?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Tallen, that is surprising to me considering how great mine has performed.  Are you sure you aren't hearing these things from Springfield/Glock fanboys?

I like Glock even less than I like S&W automatics (mind you, S&W wheel guns are fantastic). Springfield has their issues too.

I'm wondering if your feed ramp and the nose of that particular round simply don't agree.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I'm wondering if your feed ramp and the nose of that particular round simply don't agree.

I'm wondering the same thing.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=404090
Did you try it with a different magazine?

Edited by Ceesman762 - 21 September 2013 at 10:02pm
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 10:42pm
That's my guess as well.  I tried it with 2 different magazines.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2013 at 6:22am
http://www.bersachat.com/forums/showthread.php?2650-PMC-Starfire-9mm-124gr-P-JHP-Test

Most of the reviews were of the 9x19mm, but some say Meh, not bad. Others say totally junk on par with FMJ's.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2013 at 4:20pm
I've never had a problem with Starfire ammo, though I haven't used it extensively. I put a couple of boxes of it through my Glock 36 and my Springfield 1911 and haven't had a jam or a bad round yet.

I'm inclined to agree with whoever mentioned the round not functioning well with your feed ramp.

I know next to nothing about M&P's, though I can say I've always avoided S&W automatics in the past. The older ones felt big and bulky to me and then when the Sigma came out for 300 bucks at Academy a bunch of my friends went gung ho and bought them. I think they had the worst trigger I've ever felt on a DAO handgun.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2013 at 3:51pm
See if you can polish the feed ramp. 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic