FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

There is no such thing as a paintball sniper...Uhm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: There is no such thing as a paintball sniper...Uhm
    Posted: 17 September 2013 at 1:24pm
So years ago, there was a common theme among many paintballers that there was no such thing as a paintball "sniper". I used to argue about it and try to convince players that someone COULD actually play as a lone assassin/sniper and do quite well in a large game playing as that role. But, it was often looked at with ridicule and laughter by some of these players... 

Then I started making videos that showed some of the long range hits I was capable of doing while playing with regular paint. I often shot out players at 300+ feet away during games. As the backspin barrels on the market had changed the game.  But, I couldn't capture it on film...

So I went out and bought a high end camcorder that shot in 1080HD with 15X optical zoom. I figured that would go out there far enough to see the hits. I figured out how to capture good footage with that, but it didn't go out far enough, as going all the way zoomed in made the field of view so small that it was really hard to capture my kills at those ranges on video. 

Fast forward to today, and I am now running a 30X optical zoom camera on my ZoomCam. I play with it set between 15X and 20X optical zoom  filming in 60fps 1080i HD during my play and I have captured on film a 345 foot elimination. (I digitally zoomed in on the footage to get 50% closer). And I knew I was on to something. 

But, it doesn't show the stealth or way a player in camo, who is good at using their camo can get within feet of other players without them noticing. 

This year I paid (my second time paying to play paintball, as I usually only play at free fields, outlaw style) at our local fields big scenario. There were over 600 players in attendance and my general tasked me with "doing what I do" on the field. Which meant, go out, and sniper as many medics as I could, and try and take out the general and his top men...

I decided to make a video showing how I hunt with lots of the tips and tricks I have learned over the years, for those few players who enjoy playing on their own deep in the woods during a large event. I figured a few of my friends would enjoy it, but seriously, this video is LONG, and I figured there was NO way people would sit down and watch over 18 minutes of me sneaking around in the woods... 

I was wrong. This video has blown up, over 30,000 views in less than 2 months... Hundreds and hundreds of new subscribers. Hundreds of likes, and comments. It is crazy... I never in a million years thought that a video like this (my zoomcam flash card flaked out and I got NO zoomcam footage from this event, such a bummer) and even with no zoomcam footage, it still holds the viewer at homes interest and the average view is over 7 minutes (meaning lots of people click it and quit after a minute or two,  but just as many watch the entire thing...). This video wasn't featured on any website, (other than where I linked it). And the majority of the views are coming from youtube searches. 

Anyway, if you search youtube under paintball sniper, or paintball assassin. This video is one of the top results, which is pretty shocking to me! It is now averaging over 1,000 views per day and growing like crazy. 

Hard to believe when you realize I am playing with gear that cost me a total of $30... I spent more on paint for this game than I did for my marker and gear! (lots of it was gifts over the years, but the A-5 I traded a guy a bow I had that I bought for $10 at a yard sale, even trade!... ).  Mask was a gift, Camo was a gift, my remote line was free (got it off craigslist with a gun, and sold the gun for more than I bought it for, and kept the remote line). 

I am running my custom MonsterSpin barrel system that I came up with in this one (which is a new style Flatline with an Apex 2 tip tape modded onto the end) and I was using fresh Marbalizers. 

Here is a recent picture of my current A-5. 

I also just figured out a new way to film paintball. I call it the BoomCam, I took my tree trimmer,and removed the saw, and the cutter blade, and mounted a bracket onto the cutter assembly (so it tilts) I mounted my old high end camera with a fisheye lens. It allows me to capture really cool footage from my events at my field, so this will be in use this year at Trails of Doom (my backyard paintball field) events. 

So many ideas, so little time...

TLDR. I made a video, and it got a lot of views, and some of my paintball filming innovations. Admission... I sometimes play as a paintball sniper...

They tremble at my name...
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 2:32pm
A Flat line and Apex Tip? Just a curious question, have you ever weighed your A5? 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 2:44pm
No, it seems light to me... I should do that.  But, last weekend I was at Junkeez and the general I was hunting in that video was there with his new Hammer 7 using first strikes and a tiny tank. He was talking about how light it was, so we traded markers, cause I thought my A5 was light... 

They felt about the same to me, just the tank weight pulled his backwards, where my weight is up front with my ZoomCam (it weighs around a pound and a half, I would guess). 

I have mine balanced on that center grip, so you can put your finger there and balance it.

He thought my A-5 weighed a ton... 

So I guess it is heavy... 

But, I have freakishly large forearms, from riding BMX for so many years, so carrying a paintball gun that weighs a few pounds doesn't affect me at all. It is WAY lighter than a real gun... Which is always my frame of reference. I run a remote line, so I don't have the tank weight on my gun. 

Yeah, the flatline/apex is awesome!   It shoots flatter than ANYTHING I have ever tried. I can shoot through brush 100 feet before it starts to drop! In the woods it is a game changer! 

Here is a video I made this summer showing what that barrel can do in games... The dive bomb is incredible. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 2:54pm
I just figured out what was wrong with my Apex 2 this weekend before my son and I met up with our group.  I was clearing some debris from the Apex 1 and it's ramp was solid, did not budge at all. I checked the Apex 2 and found a lot of slop, it wiggled like jello. I kept sliding it until it it locked up. I was making easily a good 40 yard shot with little drop. Definitely helped on Sunday's game.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 3:03pm
I love my Apex tips. I have them on just about every gun I own. If you email empire (let me know if you need the address) they will send you a free rubber tip if yours is chewed up from playing. I find they last about 2 seasons before needing to be replaced, if you use hard shelled paint it will shred the ramp if you get a break in the barrel...

You know that little metal bracket that goes inside the rubber tip? I bent the prongs in a little on each side on mine, and it makes the end of the ramp a little tighter to the paint, so the paint hits it better. I find it makes my shots more consistent when you do that little adjustment...

I also set my Apex 2 at 4 clicks for about 90% of my shots. That seems to give the best return of good spin/ and long range accuracy. 

Pretty much everyone at my field uses the Apex as they were tired of getting hit by the other players using them at ranges they couldn't hit back!
NANomaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NANomaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 3:21pm
Saved by the bell, lol, I watched the entire thing, it was pretty awesome. Wish our woods at Waynes World was that thick, then again, my team wears speedball style clothes. I am I the only one the thinks scenario players should wear some sort of camo vs speedball clothing, in the woods ?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 3:54pm
Nanomad, glad you liked it! 

I prefer other players to play with brightly colored clothes/hoppers, especially if they are on the OTHER team! Heh, Heh! 

At this scenario I was hiding next to a trail and I heard a group coming in front of me, so I climbed right next to a fallen tree, and hunkered down. Pretty soon, I could hear two different groups sneaking up to me... One in front, and one behind...

They were hunting each other, and had NO clue I was there... And I wasn't sure which team they both were! 

So I waited and waited, until one of the guys creeping forward stepped on my hand which was on the other side of the tree. I said "ow" and he looked down and about pooped in his pants as he was looking at the end of my barrel facing up at him (I wouldn't shoot someone that close). 

He surrendered to me, and I laughed because he was on MY team. In the confusion, the guys behind me started firing at this guy and ended up hitting me. So I called for a medic, then the rest of the guys shot the other team behind me. While I sat there laughing. 

Sadly I didn't have my cam on during all this, and I couldn't turn it on because they were all so close the beep would have given my position away...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2013 at 8:36pm
Here is an view from google maps. It is about 4-5 acres of the Pine Barrens of Eastern Long Island

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 1:08am
My very first thread on this forum was about paintball sniping-truly, the most cyclical argument I've ever been engaged in

Those videos make me miss woodsball like crazy. Awesome job, I'm crazy jealous.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 1:50am
I used to argue in the sniper threads just for giggles.

FE, what editing software do you use I haven't fond anything I like yet, but them my non Gopro shoots in AVHD.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 7:45am
Cessman; that looks like a fun place to play! 

Strato: Thanks man! I've always been trying to capture the "feel" of playing woodsball, so new players (or old players) would get excited and want to play it! I must be doing something right, as my youtube videos just passed 500,000 views. It is insane to realize how many hours per day people are spending watching my content. In the past 30 days, 233,350 minutes of my content was watched... Holy cow that is a lot of people watching my backyard games! 

Kayback; I ran Sony movie studio platinum version 10 for years, it has some issues (especially with the new operating systems) so when I got my new laptop, I struggled with it (random black clips, and the program crashing). 

I was working on a huge project for the kids this summer, (doing video editing of a play they were in, 4 1080HD cameras which I was editing it all together) and it just was killing my old version... Finally I downloaded version 12 demo and finished the project (wish I had done that sooner!). 

Then a few weeks ago, Amazon.com had vegas movie studio platinum 12 for $29... So I bought that. 

Sony doesn't support the low end video editing software, so if you have problems you are on your own. Course, when you are getting video editing software for under $100 it is no wonder. I used to sell editing systems back in the early 90's that cost over $100,000.00 and this Movie studio software is WAY better than those were... It is a very powerful program. I've had a few crashing issues on the new version, but I had my hard drive pretty full, so that may have been my problem. Last night I spent the evening pulling footage off my hd onto my spare hd. So hopefully it will be less buggy now. 

My file formats are AVCHD, on my high end sony camcorders. and whatever format Contour uses (I can't remember...). 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 18 September 2013 at 7:54am
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 8:54pm
Usually a title like "Paintball sniper assassin" are a turn off, but the video was very entertaining. Good job.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 5:16am
Thanks buddy.

:)

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
NANomaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NANomaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 10:24am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

I prefer other players to play with brightly colored clothes/hoppers, especially if they are on the OTHER team! Heh, Heh! 

Ours isn't to bad, but I would prefer BT clothes vs these anyday of the week -

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2013 at 10:01am
Having a good DMR does not make a 'sniper'. BTDT    
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2013 at 3:01pm
Hey, OS! How are you doing? It has been a while!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 1:08am
Still hanging around not as much anymore though. I sold off all my paintball stuff, and am down to my simple 'airsoft' personna...

Don't even play that really anymore. Kinda just getting old gracefully...except on a 13 YZ250F and my 12 CRF250L. VA said I needed an exercise bike so I now have two.

Edited by oldsoldier - 21 September 2013 at 1:09am
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 8:26am
Oldsoldier is that a pistol on your right side? I'm just curious why you have it on that side.
Sent from a phone booth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 9:57am
Natural pull side for me, it is a GBB M-1911A1. I shoot rifles left handed and pistols right, just the way I trained I guess.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

I shoot rifles left handed and pistols right, just the way I trained I guess.

I'm exactly the opposite, and can't figure out why.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic