FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Friday the 13th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Friday the 13th
    Posted: 15 September 2013 at 4:48pm
So, I had my first "hair on the back of your neck" moment at work last week. It's a long story, but I figured there's room for it on the front page these days anyways.

To set the scene, I work in a very rural county, which is a little over 600 square miles large. Much of it looks like it's out of Jeepers Creepers or Children of the Corn. This happened at about 0300 on Friday.

Well, Friday morning (my 2nd shift by myself), I got sent to a 911 hangup. They are one of the two or three most common calls we get, so when it was on my computer, it wasn't a big deal. However, once it came out on the radio, dispatch said that someone had called, said "help me," and then hung up. Hearing this, the other rookie on my shift(who's been solo about 2 weeks longer than me) says he's headed that way with me.

Well, on the way, dispatch says they received another hang up from that location, and that when they tried calling back, there was nothing but a dial tone. 

Anyways, we finally find the address, because it's a little off the road and the lettering is gone off the mailbox. It's a run down building with black bags instead of glass in the windows, and an a/c unit hanging out of a window propped up by a 2x4. 

The front door is wide open. SOB.

So, we're announcing ourselves and stepping into a living room that is 50% plywood and 50% 1950's furniture covered in spider webs.Cabinets were dirty and hanging from their hinges. There was one solitary, bare lightbulb hanging over a table stacked 7 deep with VHS tapes. The rest of the house is around a 90* corner to the left, and as I reached the corner to make the turn, there was a loud scream and some other violent sounds coming from the back of the house. I then did 3 things simultaneously.

1) Shared a **edited** look with the other deputy
2) Tried to raise the volume of my voice to cover up the fact that I was 3 seconds from it cracking like a 12 year old.
3) Exerted more control over my bladder than I ever thought possible to prevent an embarrassing puppy response to that particular stimuli.

After a few seconds, the sounds were recognizable as a recording, not an actual axe murder in progress. 

We kept clearing the house, opening doors with our boots with an amount of gusto that is only found in two green rookies trying to not wet themselves in a dark house. 

There's not a soul in the entire house. 

There's nobody around outside. Nothing. Just a frozen bottle of water on a chair in the living room. No calls from the hospital to report anything. No one on the roads for 20 miles in either direction. Just a puppy that was outside when we finally had the whole scene secured.

And then about an hour later I hit a baby deer, which I guess was actually more violent than anything in the entire haunted house, but seems less Friday the 13th-ish.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 6:58pm
So, who at your department decided to eff with the rookies?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 11:45pm
And this, ladies and gentlemen is why the Surefire Fury was produced. Nothing says I'm not actually afraid of the dark like 500 lumens!

Glad you ok.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 11:53pm
Holy balls.

Being the coward that I am, I might have fled the county and mailed my tin back to the office. LOL

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 12:52am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

That was our first thought as well when the dust cleared. But, after talking to our supervisors who were on that side of the county with us that night, I don't think that's what happened any more.

My best guess is someone had some type of medical emergency, and a family member or friend beat us there and they hauled ass towards the city(the opposite direction we were coming from).

Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

And this, ladies and gentlemen is why the Surefire Fury was produced. Nothing says I'm not actually afraid of the dark like 500 lumens!

Glad you ok.

My light is stuck at a modest 300 lumens, but rest assured it has never been more important to me in my very short career thus far.

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Holy balls. 

Being the coward that I am, I might have fled the county and mailed my tin back to the office. LOL

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that we definitely considered pulling that door closed at getting the h-e-double hockey sticks out of there when that movie jumped on.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 16 September 2013 at 12:59am
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 1:17am
That's a genuinely cool story dude.

You guys positive you didn't walk into a meth den / drug house? I lived several miles out in the country like that and people were constantly buying up old run down properties around me to start cooking meth. Anytime I see places in severe disrepair like that I always wonder. In fact, we lived so far out we had about 4 neighbors in a 3 mile span; 1 of them was the JP and of course my dad was a cop. Yet they were brazen enough to cook / deal literally across the road from us in a trailer house and an old abandoned cabin.

Obviously somebody lives there and they decided to get out quick after 911 was called. Kinda sad when drugs have permeated the country so deeply that you hear creepy ghost stories and instantly go "it was meth"
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 9:49am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

You guys positive you didn't walk into a meth den / drug house?

Have you ever smelled a meth house or drug house? If you have, you'd know that's a silly question....
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 11:51am
I didn't see much evidence of any drug use there, actually. 

I took a picture of the outside of the house that night, but I don't know if it'd be appropriate to put it on the interwebs.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 1:30pm
If someone had a medical emergency and someone else picked them up... why the recorder?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I took a picture of the outside of the house that night, but I don't know if it'd be appropriate to put it on the interwebs.

Can you google street view the house? If so, I see no problem!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

If someone had a medical emergency and someone else picked them up... why the recorder?

Recorder?

Can you google street view the house? If so, I see no problem!

Not a great picture, but it gives you an idea of the state of the house as we pulled up in the middle of the night.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 18 September 2013 at 9:33pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 9:00pm

Not a great picture, but it gives you an idea of the state of the house as we pulled up in the middle of the night.

I don't thinks this word means what you think it means....

That's not a house. That is a murder shack full of chainsaw wielding inbred mutants my friend....
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 9:28pm
     I had a similar experience in 2006 or 2007. It was summer and I was voluntold to work a double shift because graveyard was short. I got dispatched to an audible alarm at a veterinary office around 2 or 3 AM. I parked down the street and walked to the business to find the front window shattered and a brick laying on the floor. I stood outside until two other units showed up. The owner of the business showed up and unlocked the door for us.
     Once we knew no dogs were loose in the building we went in to clear it. The burglar was after meds, and boxes of medications were knocked around. We cleared the front of the business then headed towards the back. The vet kept multiple dogs and cats over night and had one long room full of kennels. It was July or August, but there was 1950's or 60's era Christmas jamming through a stereo inside the business. All the dogs inside this place were going nuts and barking like crazy at us as as we slowly went through this building. The business was empty, and the owner later explained that the Christmas music made the animals feel less lonely.
    This is not much of a story and I have been through many more deadlier situations in the last 8 years, but this had its on level of creepiness.   There was something about creeping through a business filled with barking, growling, and yapping dogs at 2AM on a summer morning while 50's Christmas music was played through a stereo system to make me nervous. It made me feel like I was in a Rob Zombie movie.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 9:57pm

At least the lawn was mowed!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2013 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

There was something about creeping through a business filled with barking, growling, and yapping dogs at 2AM on a summer morning while 50's Christmas music was played through a stereo system to make me nervous. It made me feel like I was in a Rob Zombie movie.

Sounds more like a scene out of "Gremlins" than Rob Zombie.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 12:11am

After a few seconds, the sounds were recognizable as a recording, not an actual axe murder in progress. 

So what was this if it wasn't a recorder?

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 12:15am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Ah, I didn't get the question. It was the noise from a movie. I guess they turned off the TV but not the speakers.

And deadeye, I think the Christmas music would creep me out big time.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 4:35am

Ah, I didn't get the question. It was the noise from a movie. I guess they turned off the TV but not the speakers.

Or... somebody was Fritzl'd under the sink.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

Or... somebody was Fritzl'd under the sink.

I checked the big cabinets and the fridge. I was positive I was going to find a severed human head. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic