FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shooting Simulator - A Humbling Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Arsenal FC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shooting Simulator - A Humbling Experience
    Posted: 11 September 2013 at 3:05pm
I went to the
Artemis Defense Institute in Lake Forest, CA while on leave last month. It's a shooting simulator which uses 90, 180, and 300 degree projection screens, along with handguns and rifles which are refitted with lasers and CO2 blowback systems. The scenarios are numerous and are usually based on actual situations experienced by police officers. They can be domestic violence situations, home invasions, school shootings, robberies, etc. The thing that makes this different from a high tech video game is the consequences rendered for getting "hit". They attach a taser-like object to the back of your pants, which shocks your lower back when you are hit. The whole scenario is controlled by an operator, and he/she determines the outcome of situations and when you are hit or not (basically, they hold the shock button). The scenes aren't single outcome situations either, so if you attempt to talk an assailant down, the operator has the choice of letting the assailant surrender. If you decide to shoot, you can do that too, but some situations will make you question whether the use of deadly force is can be substantiated.

So, I went through 4 scenarios and left there feeling sick to my stomach. Not because of the multiple shocks I received, but because I had never experienced training like that. Not only did it amplify my bad habits, but it really humbled me as a shooter. I realized that the regular target shooting and holster drawing I do was really not enough to prepare me for actual scenarios. Don't get me wrong, virtual and real life are two different things, but those scenarios did make me jump a few times. You really do feel vulnerable when you're standing in front of a 300 degree screen, where shooters can come out from any direction. Plus, the added annoyance of being shocked just makes it that much more nerve wracking.

If you guys ever get a chance to do this training or similar training, I highly recommend it. The way I see it, there's something to be said of a training experience that makes you rethink your own ability level.

tl;dr: Virtual shooter that shocks you is awesome and you should try it.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 3:34pm
Cool!

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 5:57pm
That sounds pretty freakin awesome!
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 5:57am
My buddy did something like this about 20 years ago. This sounds a lot more complex than what he did. It sounded like it was just one screen in front of him. You have a choice of talking an assailant down or depending on the severity of the situation, you have to shoot. Everyone in the department had to go through the simulator. My buddy, not beloved of the brass, shot in every scenario. He did it because it was fun (just can't do that in the real world) and because he knew it would piss off his supervisors.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic