FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homebrewing Cider (again)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homebrewing Cider (again)
    Posted: 19 September 2013 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Not cider, but I have my first batch of a pale ale fermenting right next to me. It goes in the secondary on Sunday, then I bottle the Sunday after that. Will post results. Y'all have it lucky up there, I need to keep my fermentor in a water bath with ice to keep the yeast happy.

Hoping to build a peltier chiller with a PID controller from an arduino, then use that to keep the water bath cool. My next two batches I'm hoping to do a golden ale with ginger and citrus, followed by a stout or porter with vanilla and lilac, open to any suggestions on recipes. 

Seriously? It regularly gets above 85*F in your house?

I mean, I can understand if you're lagering, but yeast is pretty happy all the way up to around 90*F

For lagering, I just put it in my basement in the winter and keep the thermostat set to 55*F

I'm in downtown Honolulu, without AC, it's a nice day when it's below 80 in my apartment Wink
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Not cider, but I have my first batch of a pale ale fermenting right next to me. It goes in the secondary on Sunday, then I bottle the Sunday after that. Will post results. Y'all have it lucky up there, I need to keep my fermentor in a water bath with ice to keep the yeast happy.

Hoping to build a peltier chiller with a PID controller from an arduino, then use that to keep the water bath cool. My next two batches I'm hoping to do a golden ale with ginger and citrus, followed by a stout or porter with vanilla and lilac, open to any suggestions on recipes. 

Seriously? It regularly gets above 85*F in your house?

I mean, I can understand if you're lagering, but yeast is pretty happy all the way up to around 90*F

For lagering, I just put it in my basement in the winter and keep the thermostat set to 55*F
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 6:07am

Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 10:41pm
I don't carbonate my cider.
We pick and press our own apples each fall, and I'll take a gallon of it, and use honey instead of sugar. 1 pound of honey for one gallon of sugar. I'll pop it into the carboy with its airlock, and forget it for about 6 months.

....I need to get more carboys. If the first gallon lasts more than a week, its a minor miracle.

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 1:59am
Here's one video that I watched as I was tossing around the idea of doing a batch myself.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 11:19pm
I've used different varieties of yeast. White Labs English cider yeast leaves more of the apple flavor behind than the standard ale or wine yeasts. Have been interested in lagering a small batch over the winter in my basement (I keep it right at 50*F down there) to see how it affects the final product.

When you start combining all those other ingredients, you wind up with a ciser which is similar to a mead, but with other dominant flavors.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 10:09pm
I'm using a still cider. I don't care for carbonation. 

Other than the obvious cider/yeast/sugar what have you made with yours? A lot of people have various successes with honey, molasses, and cinnamon in their ciders but I'm unsure. I want it to taste like the store bought stuff, but also mess you up a bit lol.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 7:31pm
If you kill the yeast, you'll have to force carbonate. Better method is to use maltodextrin which gives you sweetness, but the yeast can't consumer it. Then you can bottle condition and whatnot a lot better.

If you use store bought cider, just make one hell of a starter and make sure to aerate the living hell out of the cider so that you have enough yeast and fuel to complete fermentation with preservatives in there. It's best if you can find either pasteurized without the preservatives, or get it fresh from a farm stand and then do a boil-sanitize method, chill, and pitch.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 7:18pm
I'm going to attempt to brew up a decent cider again. I tried apfelwein but it came out too dry and wine-y. I know there's a couple homebrewers on here. Who else is trying anything?

I may go with something simple like store bought cider, with a cup of sugar per gallon and nottingham yeast. Then back sweetening with light brown sugar to taste after I kill the yeast. I like the taste of sweet cider so I am emulating that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic