Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Well, that was fun...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Been there, done that. Dog was growling at the back door one night, a really deep"who the hell is in my yard" type of growl. I get my 590 and we go investigate.....a possum....

So used to my dog growling at the door at night. She constantly surveys the back yard for intruders (rabbits, ground squirrels, deer, etc.). Haven't had the all out barking frenzy yet. Something that will be gun worthy I'm sure.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2013 at 3:45pm
This thread taught that people who own guns are quick to grab them when they hear things.

When I hear things I just go find out what fell and pick it up...
Que pasa?

Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2013 at 3:48pm
I'm not particularly impressed either...

The song paranoia from the kinks comes to mind.

Edited by Lightningbolt - 14 September 2013 at 3:55pm
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2013 at 3:51pm
Yeah, they don't do any god when you don't grab them. 
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2013 at 11:11pm

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Yeah, they don't do any god when you don't grab them. 

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 7:54am
Seems to me that any story being told where someone is truly convinced that there is a criminal in their house should be accompanied by something like "and I immediately called 911".

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

Seems to me that any story being told where someone is truly convinced that there is a criminal in their house should be accompanied by something like "and I immediately called 911".

"Someone is in my house" calls are extremely serious, at least around here. I don't need three police cars running emergency traffic to get to me if I am capable of checking out the noise on my own first.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 12:17pm
So if im truely convinced that a criminal is in my house you dont suggest calling 911? Thanks for the info I'll take note.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 12:22pm

So if im truely convinced that a criminal is in my house you dont suggest calling 911? Thanks for the info I'll take note.

It's not a matter of being convinced that a criminal is in your house, it's a matter of not being convinced that one isn't. If I hear breaking glass, or a door being kicked down, I'm barricading my wife and myself in our room with the pistol trained on the door and have her call 911. If it's a matter of hearing a strange noise in the middle of the night that isn't obviously someone in the house, I'm going to go armed just in case.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 12:27pm

Yes, that's exactly what I said.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 12:30pm
So would I call 911 during the confrontation or after?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 1:10pm

So would I call 911 during the confrontation or after?

I think Tallen already put it out there pretty solidly. If you know someone is actively trying to break into your home, I would suggest barricading yourself in a room and calling 911. I understand you only want to argue about it because you disagree with some of us. That's fine. 

Everyone should do what they feel is the most appropriate avenue to defend their life and the life of their family. Not sure what the point of being contentious about it is.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 1:24pm
You're basically repeating what I said. If you're convinced someone is in the house call 911

I think that the word convinced can be confusing and is somewhat up for interpretation even though the definition is something to the effect of with certaintee. A thud in the house i wouldn't consider a certaintee. Many people would probably feel that someone is breeching if a window got busted in. AT the point that someone may use the word KNOW, someone is probably starring down a barrel or maybe lead is flying. Its a tough subject to nut shell because of all of the variables.

Usaf really put it best that people need to do what they feel is right to protect their family.

They can have everything they want around here just dont harm my family and grab the bills on the way out and take care of those too.

Edited by Lightningbolt - 15 September 2013 at 2:02pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 4:22pm

You're basically repeating what I said. If you're convinced someone is in the house call 911

I think that the word convinced can be confusing and is somewhat up for interpretation even though the definition is something to the effect of with certaintee. A thud in the house i wouldn't consider a certaintee. Many people would probably feel that someone is breeching if a window got busted in. AT the point that someone may use the word KNOW, someone is probably starring down a barrel or maybe lead is flying. Its a tough subject to nut shell because of all of the variables.

Usaf really put it best that people need to do what they feel is right to protect their family.

They can have everything they want around here just dont harm my family and grab the bills on the way out and take care of those too.

Right, my initial point was just that a bump in the night is not the same as knowing someone is in the house. That was my only point of contention between immediately calling 911 vs checking it out while being armed JIC.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 1:29am
Police despise those false alert break in calls.

I've freaked out over noises a million times in the past, but I have a rule that if the sound doesn't repeat itself it's very likely not somebody breaking into your house. No real scientific basis for that but it keeps my mind from running wild on unlikely scenarios.

Speaking of- I have this bizarre phobia that I'm going to hear my front door crash open, grab my gun and run out only to be shot by a SWAT officer coming in on the wrong house. Not sure if that's ever happened, but for whatever reason it's something I always think about.

More realistically I just fear I wouldn't have full control of my faculties having just woke up and accidentally pop a friend, family member, or date. So I usually just ignore my guns.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 5:03am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Speaking of- I have this bizarre phobia that I'm going to hear my front door crash open, grab my gun and run out only to be shot by a SWAT officer coming in on the wrong house. Not sure if that's ever happened, but for whatever reason it's something I always think about.

This happens quite often.

That is one one of the problems of a no knock warrant. Getting the address correct.

I'll admit I live where there are worse criminals, or maybe just more common ones, but noises mean checking things with guns at hand.

This doesn't mean pointing it at everything and pulling the trigger at the slightest provocation. There is a reason my I carry a 500+ lumen hand light and have a light on my gun as well, to make damn sure what I'm shooting at.

Make sure you know what you are doing if you're going to do this though, there are plenty of stories of people accidentally shooting innocents.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

I'll admit I live where there are worse criminals, or maybe just more common ones, but noises mean checking things with guns at hand.

Was talking with a S. African the other day. He said that all you need to stay safe in S. Africa is:

• A big dog
  • A high wall with broken glass or concertina wire on top
  • very bright motion lights
  • A subscription to a good (armed) security company
  • A big, bright flashlight
  • Strong locks on your doors and windows
  • A R4 with a couple of extra mags
  • A backup sidearm just in case

Of course, he DID mention he lives in Gauteng (but not in the cities) and said that Capetown is a much, much, much nicer and safer place.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 12:45pm
As someone who has actually confronted a robber in person who broke into my house... trust me, I will ALWAYS have a gun in case it happens again. 

I was about 14 or 15 years old, and I heard a noise in my garage below my room. So I headed down and walked out there, and there was a big guy standing there holding my dads road bike. 

I was so shocked I just stood there for a second, while the thief was trying to decide what to do...

I TOOK OFF towards the door, and he ran after me. But, I was able to get into the house and lock the little door knob lock and after he beat on it for a minute, he decided to leave. 

I called the cops and they only took 45 minutes to get there...

If I hear a noise, you better believe I will be armed when I go check on it. It just isn't worth the risk to not protect yourself, or more importantly your family. Especially in the current economic times, when people are getting desperate.

They tremble at my name...
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

This happens quite often.

That is one one of the problems of a no knock warrant. Getting the address correct.

This doesn't mean pointing it at everything and pulling the trigger at the slightest provocation. There is a reason my I carry a 500+ lumen hand light and have a light on my gun as well, to make damn sure what I'm shooting at.

Make sure you know what you are doing if you're going to do this though, there are plenty of stories of people accidentally shooting innocents.

I'm fortunate enough to live in an era that hasn't seen a murder in over a decade, very docile part of America.

FE-welcome back! I actually have had an intruder come in at night. I was about 19 and had just moved in with my sister, was talking on the phone with the girl I was dating at the time and noticed a shadow on the wall. I jumped up to see somebody run out our back door. It was funny because I had a 12 guage in my closer but completely forgot about it in my panic.

Everyone thought I was lying until it happened to a neughbor and we learned that there were people going into houses at night as some kind of adrenaline rush until the cops busted them. I definitely learned to lock my doors.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 2:48pm
Burglar =/= Robber.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic