Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann Model 98 Inquiry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DubVPaintball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubVPaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann Model 98 Inquiry
    Posted: 09 September 2013 at 10:30am
I have an original Tippmann Model 98, and I want to put a cyclone feeder on it.  Will I need to tap a hole for the air or can I connect into the screw set already there? behind the screws on the frame are two red dots, what are these?  Yes let me repeat, this is a Model 98 not a custom 98, I just need a little help installing it, if I knew more about how the inside works I might be able to figure it out on my own but I don't know able the Model 98.  Please anyone with knowledge on putting a Cyclone feeder on a Model 98 let me know.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by DubVPaintball DubVPaintball wrote:

I have an original Tippmann Model 98, and I want to put a cyclone feeder on it.  Will I need to tap a hole for the air or can I connect into the screw set already there?

If you're referring to the two screws that are roughly centered on the right side of the marker body with the rear one just above the front of the trigger guard, these hold the valve in place.  They do not provide access to the inside of the valve and are unsuitable for an air tap.

behind the screws on the frame are two red dots, what are these? 

I have no idea.  I would need to see a picture to know what you are talking about.

Yes let me repeat, this is a Model 98 not a custom 98, I just need a little help installing it, if I knew more about how the inside works I might be able to figure it out on my own but I don't know able the Model 98.

Then I would recommend not trying to install a Cyclone Feed on it.  The Model 98 isn't designed for this.  You would need to perfectly place and drill a hole in the marker body and purchase a new power tube designed for air operated accessories.  This would involve not just taking the marker apart but also removing the valve from the power tube to install the new power tube.

Please anyone with knowledge on putting a Cyclone feeder on a Model 98 let me know.

I recommend looking into either an inexpensive battery-powered hopper or, if you really want a Cyclone Feed, finding a used 98 Custom to put it on.  If you look you can find electric hoppers in the $50-$60 range and as for the 98 Custom, it is designed to be upgraded, unlike the Model 98.  Adding a Cylone to the 98C would be significantly easier than adding it to a Model 98.

DubVPaintball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubVPaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 9:23pm
Okay, here's the update sorry it took me so long to get back on.  I got tired of waiting for a response and went ahead and found the solution.  I saw that someone had posted exactly what my findings revealed, yes the power tube on the later 98 customs had a output valve that went through the body, I actually learned a great deal about the old model 98 by working on it.  It's actually capable of doing almost the same as the newer customs but it takes some precision.  I'm not worried about putting in the power tube as of yet.  I did find one that matches the same screw set and the red buttons I mentioned turned out to be dried locktyte.  I wasn't in a hurry about improving this gun because it wasn't for me, it's one of my sons but after I started working on it, I sure wish I would have bought one as well... The power of this gun is incredible... I detailed it inside and out with new guts and cleaned the chambers to a mirror finish... it's smoother than my A5(2011 model) But there is something that it can't perform at and that's distance... I'm going to put a flatline barrel on it to give the ball some lift.  If I had a way of chroming the original barrel after grinding out a fraction of a millimeter from the barrel it would shoot straight and true as an arrow.  The power is all there but the barrel is lacking.  That's probably why they made the barrel longer in later versions.  I'm going to see about getting it chromed to keep the ball tight and smooth, I tested this with my other son's 20" Alpha Black barrel and it's still lacking in distance but is accurate as I've seen thus far.  I still have to replace the old powertube with a aftermarket antichop one, I believe this has alot to do with the distance fired.  The hammer hits so smooth, gotta watch your thumb though, it about took it off the other day lol .  As of right now I'm looking into turning it into a elec-trigger shot, I'll have to cut the handle to fit the arm and solenoid.  But he's spending the money so I don't care.  I'd like to get one of these babies to turn into a sniper rifle.  Anyways thanks for the reply.  

Edited by DubVPaintball - 26 September 2013 at 9:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic