Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Toy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Toy
    Posted: 26 August 2013 at 8:26am
About 3 weeks ago, I picked up a brand new 2nd edition Nexus 7 tablet. There was a coupon I found online that allowed purchase of items including Tablets & Ereaders at 20% off at OfficeMax. Went in on a Tuesday morning with the printed out coupon hoping to score a 32GB model. One of the associates checked inventory only to find that they sold out yesterday.

Dang. So I asked when they could get more. The guy went to the register to check. I asked if I could pay for it now and pick it up when it comes in. He said he could do that. That made me happy since the coupon was only good until August 10th. I gave him the coupon and he didn't bat an eye. Sometimes these stores have selective coupon practices or have signs on new product saying this offer or coupon does not apply. Apparently not in this case, which I was happy about.

So, for a couple of minutes he was making with the furrowed brow and other facial tics while tapping away at the register both on the keys and the touchscreen. A manager (presumably) came over to see what he was doing. He was explaining to her that he was trying to generate an order through a sale for the tablet. She said something about how he must have used the touchscreen controls which for some reason messes things up. She checked what I was trying to buy and she mentioned it has been a hot item since they hit the shelves at the end of July.

She asked if I could wait a few minutes so she could call around and find one for me. Not a problem. About 15 minutes later she came back and said she didn't want to hold me in the store while she attempted to go out of their district to search, but she did find one. In Houghton, MI. Said it would take a couple of days to get down here if I wanted it. Houghton? Really?? We're talking near as far North in the state as you can go. So I agreed to having it sent. I had a brief mental image of this thing being wrapped in a beaver pelt or something upon arrival.

I had a discussion about the coupon with the manager about how I was surprised they were honoring it. She said it is only good business, but she knows at some stores they wouldn't. They asked if I was interested in getting a service protection plan that would cover the repair/replacement of the tablet if I should damage/destroy it. I said no. I was trying to get this thing as cheaply as possible. They rang me up and I saved $54 with the coupon.

Over the next few days I began to wonder about the replacement plan. They were inexpensive considering what they would cover. $44.99 for 2 years and $54.99 for 3. I got a message on my machine Thursday that the tablet was in and I could pick it up anytime. Friday morning I went in. I decided to get the 3 year protection plan. I have 2 young uncoordinated grabby children ages 4 & 2. I rationalized that the coupon basically gave me a 3 year protection plan. I asked if it was too late to get the plan and they said no. They rang up the wrong plan which I went back the next day and fixed. No need to get into that little story.

Now, the tablet. Very nice. Probably the nicest chunk of hardware this side of a top of the line iPad. The screen is beautiful. Very bright with sharp colors. Resolution is 1920x1200 for a 16:10 aspect ratio. I absolutely love the 7" form factor! It is thin and light and easily fits into a jacket or loose pants pocket. Setup was easy as pie. Just entered my Google Account information and it began downloading all my apps that are on my phone. Since it is a Nexus device, it has a vanilla android interface. No skins or bloatware. Scrolling is buttery (cliché) smooth and there are no hangs or stutters. ASUS used an older CPU (Quadcore Qualcomm S4), but the latest Adreno 320 GPU. So, it performs extremely well for it's price point.

I use it mostly as a multimedia gadget. Stream Netflix, Crackle and YouTube. Reading books on it is just a joy compared to my phone's 4.65" screen. I game on it a little. Candy Crush (irritating), both Temple Runs, Words With Friends and Live Hold 'em. One of these days I'll look into a game that takes advantage of the hardware.

The only downsides to the tablet was the lack of a SD card memory expansion and the power/volume rocker buttons. They work fine, but lack a certain "tactile" response to them. Overall, I am nothing but pleased with my purchase. In my opinion it is one of the finest tablets in its class. I doubt you'll find a better tablet for the price. Since I'm not much of a hardware reviewer, here's a link to Anandtech's review of the tablet: The Nexus 7 (2013) Review
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 10:47am
I was expecting something more to happen when you were explaining the process of ordering and the shipping from Houghton. 

Also I've been to Houghton, it's a pretty nice town.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 11:53am
I know a guy named Houghton.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 12:12pm
Why do you bring up so much anticipation? The story was building up and then nothing.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 12:49pm
Was it packaged in a beef pastie (gravy on the side),and then in a beaver pelt or salmon skin? We kind of roll like that around these here parts.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 5:25pm
Yeah, it was somewhat anti-climactic, wasn't it? Sorry guys. Guess I'm better at telling a story than I am at hardware reviews. I suppose in my excitement, I spent too much on the how and when than the actual having. Probably why I kind of copped out and left a link to Anand's review of the tablet. Next time I guess I better flesh out my experience other than, "Look what I gots!"

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 9:52am
Houghton far north in Michigan?
There's a whole second peninsula up there you know?
Definately had to drive to Munising for a golf outing... now THATS far north.
Nice score on the tablet though.
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Houghton is farther north then Munising?
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 12:50pm
I lit off fireworks for a friend's brother's wedding up in Marquette once.  That was a hell of a drive.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2013 at 9:29am
Originally posted by pntbl freak pntbl freak wrote:

Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Houghton is farther north then Munising?

Yes. Yes it is...
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2013 at 1:54pm
I also own a Nexus 7 tablet.

I too enjoy it.

jerrysherry View Drop Down

Spammy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrysherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2013 at 11:25pm
i also want to . . . . blah, blah, blah, spam, spam, spam. <rest deleted>

Edited by Mack - 04 September 2013 at 3:53pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2013 at 2:18am
Originally posted by jerrysherry jerrysherry wrote:

i also want to buy tablet, can you recommend me some? thanks

Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 9:53am
I don't know why I read Houghton as "Houghton Lake". Probably because I just spent the weekend there.
My bad.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 10:34am
Houghton lake? I'm sorry to hear that. Did you get a mullet at the local barber shop while you were there?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic