FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Army saying Adios to the M9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Army saying Adios to the M9
    Posted: 12 August 2013 at 10:22am
http://www.armytimes.com/article/20110828/NEWS/108280315/Pistols-shot-replacing-M9

Debate rages over the replacement.

Given the wide range of experience with firearms that we have here- I'm interested to see what you guys would think is a good successor.

I'm partial to the M&P myself. Of all the different models we had on the range during recruit raining, the 5 of us with M&Ps had no trouble at all, while the Glock armorers were replacing parts left and right.

I thought this would be a good little discussion. it's been a bit dusty in here lately.

Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 10:39am
I would like to see the M&P. The idea of some of these kids running around with glocks is downright terrifying.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

I would like to see the M&P. The idea of some of these kids running around with glocks is downright terrifying.

That. Was never a fan of the M9.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 1:31pm
Sig 226
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 1:46pm
I am a huge fan of Glock, but I'd rather see them get something with an external safety other than one on the trigger.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 4:12pm
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. I don't think it really matters. How many people, in the last 10 years the USA has been at war, were killed with an M9?

Unloaded an M9 weighs in at 33oz. A M&P 9 at 24oz, the M&P 45 at 24.25oz. Now I suppose that is close to a 1/3 weigh saving but really?

I think a Glock would work, as the guys who would carry one up are the sort you can trust not to shoot themselves. The others would be mag in/empty chamber as they are now anyway.

I like the M&P and I think it is a nicer gun than the Glock, but I think it is much of a muchness. The Glock tips the scale at 22oz.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 4:25pm
I doubt you'll see Glock get the contract due to the lack of an external safety.

I honestly don't know why we wouldn't look at a newer version of a proven (and significantly less expensive) design like the Hi-Power.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 8:33am

Had to say it.

I'm thinking it will be a Sig in whatever model a 40 226 is. I'm more partial to the M&P myself, but I think the lack of external hammer and plastic frame will disqualify it.

Although the M16 is doing well still.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 10:56am
Why would you need an external hammer?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Why would you need an external hammer?

Safety issues. The DoD picks their weapons based on the LCD. If private Pyle is less likely to accidentally discharge with one weapon vs another, they're going with the one that is less likely to accidentally discharge.

The Army prefers weapons that have external safeties and external hammers for that reason. If you carry a loaded striker-fired weapon, you have more of a chance of accidentally discharging vs carrying a external hammer in the down position with the safety/pin blocker engaged.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 12:14pm
Believe me, I get the whole safety thing and I'm all for it.  I just don't see how an external hammer makes a weapon more safe.  
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 4:11pm
I don't see the DOD picking Sig for such a large purchase, too much $$$ for big Army. 

FNH already makes a large percentage of the military's small arms, and their handguns are relatively inexpensive. They have versions both with and without the external safety and are as simple as the Glocks/M&Ps of the world. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go that direction.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 4:53pm
I've read that the army went M9 over 226 because of a few dollars per handgun..

Some double stack 1911 in 40 would be cool.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 7:26pm
I've never been a Berretta fan. They're a great, affordable pistol but I find their slide / sight layout doesn't have that "pick it up and shoot" feel that the modern polymer guns have.

Otherwise, Kayback said everything I was thinking.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 8:35pm
Why are they dumping the M9? Because Beretta decided to leave their communist state and manufacturer somewhere else?
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 9:52pm
The M9 was not well received or liked very much when we got them in 2nd AAV Bn back in 88-89. Most SNCO's/NCO's and officer's preferred carrying the "out dated slab side .45". 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 10:39pm
The M-16 is a POS, and older than the M9. Why are they deciding to ditch the M9 now? A weapon that not everyone carries, in a military with officers are being forced to retire.

Sounds like someone is getting a kickback.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 11:43pm
The Army budget is a tricky beast. It's not just one big pot of cash, it's a bunch of smaller ones that can't share with each other. The salary pot is separate drone the guns pot.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2013 at 12:41am
I hope lots of cheap M9 mags flood the market. Could always use more range mags for my XD9
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2013 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

As someone who is pretty much as out of the loop as you can be on firearms, what part is the scary part? Quality, safety, etc? Just curious for more insight/ being informed about the pros and cons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic