Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Original rocket cocker for M98

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hatonmyheadok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatonmyheadok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original rocket cocker for M98
    Posted: 31 July 2013 at 6:54pm
Just like the title says: I have a M98 and I just bought the original rocket cocker, however, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to install it. It seems like there is something not quite right. The spring is negated by this upgrade? It seems like the cocking bolt slides right into the rear bolt.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 7:06pm
Split the gun halves, remove the charging handle, replace it with the smaller one supplied in the kit, put the two halves back together and fasten the cocking part in place with the two supplied screws in the two holes in the vicinity of the end cap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatonmyheadok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 7:11pm
That's about as much as I could figure out from looking at it. Like I said, though. It's hard to understand how it works with or without the spring.

Thanks for the reply.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatonmyheadok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2013 at 2:55am
I think you're referring to the rocket cocker II.

This is the one I bought, the original.

Here's the diagram of my gun.

Do you see how the drive spring pushes the rear bolt toward the barrel of the gun?

How in Dr. Seuss does that work with the rocket cocker? It's still shipping to me, so I don't have it in my hands, but it seems like it would need to work similar to the way it does now and I don't see how it can. I'm hoping it all makes sense when I toy with it.

Kudos to anyone who can shed some light.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatonmyheadok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2013 at 3:06am
I just read it comes with instructions. Must have missed that part. We will see. I'll post up some pics of the instructions and install when I get it.Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatonmyheadok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2013 at 8:18pm
Okay, I received the cocker in the mail today! Ordered Thursday, got it today (Saturday).

It was pretty straightforward, however, I was mostly confused initially by the photos on ebay. The listing doesn't show a picture of the holes on either side of the beaver tail. This allows the pin to lock the spring in position.

I took some pictures with my phone. Sorry, they aren't better quality, but I just wanted to make available some more information on this upgrade.

I pretty much ignored the instructions and looked at the diagram above. Nevermind the washer, I put it on after taking the photo. I just wanted to see how it fit together.

It all fit together very nicely and gave me another reason to clean this gun out. It took a good fifteen minutes- the hardest part being the spring. You have to depress the spring with all of it tacked together, then slide the pin in. Make sure you get the spring fairly centered on the pin. Once you have that done, it's all gravy. Just replace and enjoy.

If anyone wants me to transcribe the instructions, I might. :) They are highly obtuse, though. I would want to paraphrase, or make my own instructions.

My impressions are great. I was a little worried about the plate that covers the cocking hammer slot- it seemed unreasonably thin. I thought it was plastic at first, actually, but I bolted it on and it seems pretty solid. The feel and look of this upgrade really makes this gun, to me. I've always loved the marblizer paint and the additional black just offsets it so nicely. I'm also really pleased that the gun will be closed up tighter. I put a nice coat of oil inside the gun, and I'm just waiting for a few more parts to finish it up.

Looking at the rocket cocker II, I definitely like the original better. That's why I bought it. :)

I'ts hard to imagine why they decided to switch the design. This one seems very solid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic