Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need a phone/GPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2013 at 11:02am
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

One problem with using the phone as a GPS is if you lose cell reception you will be screwed. I'm just bringing that up, but in a city of almost 1 million people I guess cell reception isn't an issue.

Windows Phone has built in Nokia mapping apps, which has the option to download maps to the phone for full access offline.

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2013 at 5:57pm

Update: I tried to get used to my wife's iphone, I just didn't warm up to it.  I had lots of experience with RIM products which have been my work phone for years. I used my sons S3 and with my gnarled hands I found it much easier to type with and the S4 battery gets a good rating so I got an S4.  Interestingly, the US model and the model available here in Canada (international) have different CPU's.  US model has the Quad-core 1.9 GHz Krait 300 and the International model has 'Octocore'; Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7.  Realistically I doubt there's any noticable difference.  Thanks again for all the help.

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2013 at 12:23am
Nice Johnny, hope you like it!

I've been in the market for getting a new phone myself. The new BB Q10 looks extremely attractive but lacks in apps. I'd be ok with that because I only ever use my phone for making calls and browsing social media/news. Specs aren't bad on it and the keyboard feels very nice. I'm not a huge fan of large screens.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2013 at 12:14pm
Hey johnny once swype recognizes your text style it works great. If you are in the market for a tablet, now that you're using a sami phone I'd stick with sami. Ipads are nice but you'll hose yourself with connectivity if you have two separate operating systems.   IMO WIFI direct is what's special about your phone and apple uses Dlna.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2013 at 2:19pm
Forget the 'Octocore', that is only for korean phones, bad salesman exaggerating, the inter web has the truth which I explained to him when I went back to get the otter case.  I really liked the q10 as I'm familiar with the earlier versions, it has great slide predictive texting which works awesome, but like you, Rofl, it gets tedious to navigate the web with.  One of the many neat apps on the S4 is Watchon, turns your phone into a remote, which has been handy as we are staying at a bed & breakfast while we wait to move into our house in Edmonton.  Two tv's, no remotes and it took under a minute to set it up for both tv and satellite receiver.  I have to say that the S4 is almost too much for a pocket phone, I'm trying to use the otter box case and carry it on my belt but I feel like a toolbar so for now it's in my front pocket.  As you mention, Lightening, the WIFI direct works awesome, and as we have no interweb here, it's very easy to set it up as a hotspot.  I'm using my workphone for hotspot as we have unlimited data plan but the blackberry hotspot is a pain to set up, I had to manually switch it to WEP to get it to work with the macbook pro.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic