FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need a phone/GPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a phone/GPS
    Posted: 21 July 2013 at 7:56pm
I took a job in Edmonton - 7+ hours southwest of where I live - and for the 1st time in over 18 years I won't be on call.  It was a blessing having a company phone all these years but, as anyone knows that has one, it comes with a price.  Anyways, I'm going from a city with 17k people to almost a million and I thought, I need a phone anyways and I also need a GPS to help a geographically challenged guy like me get around.  PLEASE help me choose a phone that I can use with a cell phone holder to be a GPS as well.  I've talked to the cell phone sales guys locally in fort st. john and they have been trying to sell me on features I'm not really interested in.  I know there's guys here that know more about cell phones than these guys do so I'd appreciate any help, thanks from a technologically challenged forumer. 
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2013 at 8:10pm
I love my Razr, but I hate the battery life.(it's 19 months old)
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2013 at 8:47pm
My son has the new razr maxx and he says the battery is quite good, plus it seems to be built pretty good, he dropped it out my truck window when we were going for lunch and it was none the worse, I was surprised.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 12:19am
Can't go wrong with a Galaxy S III or IV. They got nice big screens and are pretty fast.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 8:33am
Go with an S3 or 4. They're absolutely flawless phones, simple to use, and you can really do anything with it. Don't let anyone fool you into using an iphone.
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 8:40am
My wife has an iPhone, I just can't warm up to it.  I've had different versions of blackberry for a work  phone as of late - Q10 most recently - because I'm used to it and I can somewhat text easily on it I was going to get one.  But now I need a gps as well, hence the post.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 12:54pm
In my opinion you are better off just getting a GPS and a phone.  If you use your phone as a GPS, you're going to want an actual GPS app, which costs nearly as much as just getting a GPS.  Google maps/navigation sucks.  
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 2:25pm
^^false

Besides, having a phone with GPS is great for finding local restaurants when you are walking to them. Who wants to hold a GPS and a phone while walking? 

My iphone works, but I would say Galaxy s4. I would say the maps apps are getting better too.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

In my opinion you are better off just getting a GPS and a phone.  If you use your phone as a GPS, you're going to want an actual GPS app, which costs nearly as much as just getting a GPS.  Google maps/navigation sucks.  

I've considered this as well, I'm going to wait until we move before I do anything, way more selection and no sales tax in Alberta; thanks for all the suggestions.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

^^false

Besides, having a phone with GPS is great for finding local restaurants when you are walking to them. Who wants to hold a GPS and a phone while walking? 

My iphone works, but I would say Galaxy s4. I would say the maps apps are getting better too.

My Navigon has never tried to give me walking directions to a bank in China.  I can't say the same about my iPhone. 
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 4:25pm
One problem with using the phone as a GPS is if you lose cell reception you will be screwed. I'm just bringing that up, but in a city of almost 1 million people I guess cell reception isn't an issue.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 12:14am
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

One problem with using the phone as a GPS is if you lose cell reception you will be screwed. I'm just bringing that up, but in a city of almost 1 million people I guess cell reception isn't an issue.

That's a good point. If you aren't big into smartphones just get a normal or 3G one and buy a nice GPS. Probably save more money that way too.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 2:02am
I can't say that my iPhone has led me astray. If you are so paranoid about where the phone takes you, just look at the destination to make sure it makes sense.

And if you are traveling using your phone GPS for long distance, cell towers shouldn't matter. The phone will know the path and a satellite will keep it going. Now if you want to look at the map, you are out of luck.

If you were to get a GPS, get one with constant updates. It's nice to have a dedicated GPS for long distance, but when it's 4 years old and hasn't been updated, it takes you through the worst places. My iPhone gave me much better routes.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 4:30am
I've only had one or two issues with a phone GPS, but these days I no longer bother with my dedicated GPS and just use the phone's navigation.

I've used Nokia N95's, Galaxy S2 and now an S4. They are more accurate than not.

And often more up to date than a GPS.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 9:06am
I suggest a phone with wifi direct capability. Most other features being equal.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 5:46pm
I ♥ my S3. Will never go back to iPhone. My mom has a Nokia Lumia 920 and it's really nice too. Best camera out there and if my mom can use a smart phone effectively, then anyone can.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 8:06pm
I personally love Google Maps on my S4. Ive used a few Tom Toms and Garmins and theres no reason to have them when you have a good phone with GM. 

And if you do go into an area where there is no signal.... even a standalone GPS wont help. My friends Garmin lost its signal in the middle of nowhere West Virginia at the same time that my old phone running Google Maps did.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

And if you do go into an area where there is no signal.... even a standalone GPS wont help. My friends Garmin lost its signal in the middle of nowhere West Virginia at the same time that my old phone running Google Maps did.

Not 100% true. I've been in many places where my Garmin Nuvi worked, but my AT&T iPhone wouldn't work.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 12:13am
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

Not 100% true. I've been in many places where my Garmin Nuvi worked, but my AT&T iPhone wouldn't work.

Well, you were using an iPhone.....

You're right though, you do need some sort of data connection to use a cell phone GPS. I still have both a dash-mount GPS and phone GPS. Honestly, at $70 or so bucks with free maps for life, I can't see a reason to NOT get a Garmin right now.

Deadeye's experience is actually pretty typical in WV and the mountainous areas of western VA. AT&T covers most of WV (Verizon and Sprint definitely don't) and there are enough cell towers on top of the ridges that you tend to get signal just about everywhere with the exception of the NRAO "quiet zone" and even then, you can get reception as close as Snowshoe and certain parts of Cass. Where the difficulty for traditional GPS comes in, is that all those hills and valleys make triangulation via geosynchronous satellites a bit tricky. When 4800' mountains are rising up all around you, it can be tough to get enough tracking for the dash-mounted GPS to get a fix. Meanwhile, all of those ridges and peaks have cell towers on them which can triangulate just fine as they have a clear LOS to your phone. Hence, when I'm in BFE WV, I use both. Of course, if you truly get lost in the center of the quiet zone, you're effed.....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 7:51am
A data connection is not required for the gps to function on an android. Accuracy suffers without it though.   Varified it with the samsung gtab. You also lose some off the functionality of the app. Just basic gps.

On a side note an old android makes for a great internet appliance. I.e. pandora on a wifi network at home, gps, fuzz buster. The fuzz buster app actually seems to work imo. Tests have been done that say that the radar detector app is a farce.

Edited by Lightningbolt - 24 July 2013 at 7:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic