Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Players Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anthony38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Players Help
    Posted: 20 July 2013 at 2:01pm
Hello everyone,

I'm new at paintball and was wondering if anyone could advice me on what sort of paintball marker I should focus on when starting out. I don' really know much about paintball guns as I am new at this but I do have some experience with real guns such as shotguns and rifles. I've looked into some sites including this one to order some markers. I have been told that often times the manufacturer sells markers more expensive than the actual distributors. Is that true?
I found this other store that offered free shipping as well, http://paintballgunsforsalenow.com, has anyone ever shopped here? there is also ansgear but I heard they are very bad with shipping.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.
johnfalto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfalto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2013 at 12:24pm
Welcome ANthony38,

With regard to the website you mention, I have never used them so cannot comment.

With regard to buying direct from the manufacturer as opposed to buying from a distributor, you need to evaluate each deal individually. From the items that I have been interested in, the price per item has been the same, however from a distributor you can usually find a deal with packaged items, clearances or free or lower priced shipping. 

For myself, my first two markers were purchased used through eBay. However everything else has been purchased through distributors in eBay. You need to shop around.

That you have experience with real firearms is good but not actually a plus. Although paintball markers are shooting a projectile under an expanding gas scenario, the physics of paintball and firearms are vastly different.

With regard to what type of marker to use will depend on several factors:

1) What style of play will you be involved in: woodsball, speedball or recball.
2) Are you looking for that milsim look or it doesn't matter.
3) Where you play and the air they use will make a big difference (don't buy a nitrous outfit if your field only has compressed air).
4) What features are important to you (such as rate of fire, balls per second, selective modes of fire, etc.).
5) Price point (what is your budget like).

Now you only mentioned the marker but a good mask is also important. Not just for the protection factor but degree of visibility as well. Some mask/goggles end up giving you tunnel vision, in that you can only see what is directly in front of you, requiring you to turn your head more for a greater degree of visibility.

Hope that helps as a starting point.

Edited by johnfalto - 21 July 2013 at 12:27pm
tagging with extreme prejudice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic