FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with wall painting or "interior design"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with wall painting or "interior design"
    Posted: 10 July 2013 at 11:20pm
Providing all goes well, I'll be moving soon. I'm pretty excited for a bunch of reasons.

The house I'm moving to is kinda really 70's. Because of that, I decided I want to paint one of the bedrooms hideously 70's, or even 60's. Problem is, I'm really basic with things. I only think with right angles and I like AutoCAD a bit much. 

I'm looking for suggestions on paint or wallpaper. Nothing floral, girly, super dark, or sponge painting. I'm kinda interested in those chain type patterns and such. Trying to keep things greenish/white or orange/white but I'm open to suggestions. 

Ripping down drywall and installing hideous wood paneling isn't an option. I'm not going to go IKEA and spend money on furniture, I just want to paint my wall something interesting.

Edit: I'm considering painting one of the walls with a pattern similar to this, but a repeating pattern where the boxes are all the same size but perhaps alternating colors of orange/brown/yellow or something on a white wall.

Double edit: I want a pattern very similar to this, maybe using the weird rectangles of the first pic, but all the same size, facing vertically, repeating like this.

I'm terrible with interior design. I'm considering three white walls with the burnt orange/brown/maybe yellow pattern and burnt orange molding. Or three burnt orange walls with white everything else and the pattern on one. Thanks for the help!

Edited by SSOK - 10 July 2013 at 11:47pm
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2013 at 11:42pm
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 12:15am
I see this going horribly wrong. How do you plan to paint it? Stencil? Free hand? It is going to take forever if it is paint and not some one off wallpaper.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I see this going horribly wrong. How do you plan to paint it? Stencil? Free hand? It is going to take forever if it is paint and not some one off wallpaper.

Agreed..i would take a 4'x4' piece of plywood and try a stencil out first and work out the kinks before trying it on your wall...you can always paint it one color and retry it on the plywood before mangling your wall and wasting paint, time, and cash.
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 5:29pm
I'd go with some sort of 70s color on the wall (powder blue, avocado green, burnt orange?) then add the 70s flair with furniture, even a print on the wall of that pattern.

I think if you try and paint that pattern it will just turn into a time consuming disaster.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic