FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Project
    Posted: 07 July 2013 at 12:55am
Well since people are posting new purchases, and I'm slacking on my posts here, I'll share mine. I decided to work on a bike, because I need a hobby and I need to bike more, so it's a win win. I already have a 10 speed that I like, so I decided to make a single speed for simplicity, not having to deal with shifters, multiple gears, the deraileur, etc. I'm going freewheel, not fixed, because I think I'd kill myself in Seattle.

So I was looking for either a frame, or a single speed and I sort of found a middle ground, and unfinished single speed:

I also just found a place where I can afford to get it powder coated this upcoming week, just need to finalize on the colours I want.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 1:10am
I loved my single speed bike when I was a kid. The kind that if you peddle backwards, it acted like a brake. I think that's what you are not doing? It was fun and fast and never gave me problems.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 1:23am
RoboCop, you're thinking of a coaster brake. A lot of kids/hipsters seem to run bikes like what choop has brake less. The things go like hell for the most part and are pretty light. Never liked brake less myself.

Choop, other than powdercoat and a chain, what other plans do you have? Is that a Varsity? Older schwinns are great stuff.

Also I'd rattlecan it. If you do the proper prep work you can have a nice bike. It's a nice bit cheaper too.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 1:52am
you can run a fixed gear with or without brakes.  Fixed gear just means that you can't stop pedaling.  Freewheel means that the pedals can stop and you can coast.  With a fixed gear, a lot of people just use the fact that you can slow down by using the pedals, but you can't really stop quickly that way.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 1:53am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

RoboCop, you're thinking of a coaster brake. A lot of kids/hipsters seem to run bikes like what choop has brake less. The things go like hell for the most part and are pretty light. Never liked brake less myself.

Choop, other than powdercoat and a chain, what other plans do you have? Is that a Varsity? Older schwinns are great stuff.

Also I'd rattlecan it. If you do the proper prep work you can have a nice bike. It's a nice bit cheaper too.

The hipsters running brakeless have fixies, they're different than coaster brakes. Coaster brakes let you coast, and back pedalling is how you brake. For a fixie there is no coasting, if the wheel is moving your legs are moving.

I'm not fully sure yet, I was looking at an orange deep-v wheelset but the one I found kind of seems like it might not be worth it. I need to decide if I'll drop $200 on a new wheelset, or if I can make it purdy with the frame, bars and seat, keeping the other hardware. I need brakes too.
little devil View Drop Down
one language strike, 2/23/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 6:58am

I wouldnt replace the wheels unless they are really messed up. Even then they may only need a good truing job. If the hubs are grinding (debirs in bearing) try just replacing the axel and bearings.

Personally i'd,
- get rid of those blue tires, first and formost
- add brakes if you'd like, though not knowing much about bikes like that, I dont see any brake mounts... Make sure he didnt grind those off trying to get into the fixed bike scene. There are ways around not having mounts, but it gets more complicated.
- get grips and a new seat (seat just my personal thing)
- flat black rattle can everything, even the chain. It'll work itself out.

Powdercoat it if you dont care that it will probably get scratched to heck and look awfull. I'd go flat black everything cause you can always touch it up and no one would be the wiser. Plus, I personally think it looks good without looking expensive.  The more expensive your bike looks the more disirable it is to scum.

Edit- the brakes you'll probably need are, single pivot side pull callipers, Which I remember being a pain.

Edited by little devil - 07 July 2013 at 7:03am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 6:24pm
The frame is drilled for brakes, and there are some good local shops near me.

Speaking of messed up wheels though:

Last night a taxi decided that you don't need to stop at a red light before you turn right and I went directly into his mirror and bruised my ribs pretty bad. Front wheel came straight off and got the Dali treatment, and I'm not sure about the frame yet. Luckily the police were across the street (I don't think they saw it) and were able to get a statement/ file a report right away, and check me for a concussion.

All things considered I'm in pretty good shape, just really hurts to move. Have some heavy pain meds that help though.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 11:16pm
Ouch. Hopefully you feel better soon and you can settle that accident in your favor.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2013 at 1:49pm
Yeah, does anyone here have any advice on that? I've never had an accident/ insurance case, and I sure haven't in the USA, so Im not sure what the order of operations is really. I've just submitted my request for the police report and will see what it says once it arrives. I'm also keeping a written record of how my injuries are doing.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2013 at 2:34pm
First thing you need to do is hire a competent attorney.  My rates are quite reasonable.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2013 at 10:02pm
I wonder where Rambino is
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2013 at 10:42pm
You're in America, sue.

Glad you're okay, feel better. I wonder if that wheel can be trued.
westhowred View Drop Down

Owner of small man parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westhowred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 2:46am
I'm a loser that got banned . . . don't be like me.

Edited by Mack - 10 July 2013 at 7:44pm
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 3:23am
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 3:43am
I think there needs to be a waiting period before you can post. That might slow these posts. It seems to just get worse and worse.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 4:25am
If it's a taxi company and the driver was declared at fault they're insurance should pay any medical bills and a decent attorney should be able to land you a settlement of some kind.

You may have hit the US's famous litigation lottery jackpot, congrats!

Just kidding, but yeah call a lawyer and they'll be able to get everything smoothed out.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 4:56am
Originally posted by westhowred westhowred wrote:

The kind that if you peddle backwards, it acted like a brake. I think that's what you are not doing? It was fun and fast and never gave me problems.
Nailed it.  Choop is too stupid to brake!
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 7:51am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

If it's a taxi company and the driver was declared at fault they're insurance should pay any medical bills and a decent attorney should be able to land you a settlement of some kind.

You may have hit the US's famous litigation lottery jackpot, congrats!

Just kidding, but yeah call a lawyer and they'll be able to get everything smoothed out.

This.  I've recently seen a similar liability-type case end in settlement, and fault couldn't even be proved.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 1:48pm
July 6th: "Look at my new bike"
July 7th: "Look at my wrecked bike"

I'm sure if the requested price is somewhat reasonable they will settle quickly...

Edited by deadeye007 - 09 July 2013 at 1:51pm
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 7:27pm
Just tell them that you want a stumpy niner, stem riser, long bar ends, high pressure road tires, and one billion dollar and it should be cool.
Sent from a phone booth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic