FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My First Sports Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Sports Car
    Posted: 18 June 2013 at 8:11am
On Saturday, I purchased a sports car with nothing but my good word I'd pay (and a sizeable down payment), and threw myself into considerable debt for the next 4 years. If you ask me, I'm livin' the dream!

Social commentary aside, I walked out of the dealership with a brand-spanking-new Scion FR-S, with the optional "Whiteout" color. It's that pearlescent white that Toyota has. I love that color...

Firstly, pics!

Yeah, already dirtying up the floor mats. Such is life:

And now for my thoughts on the car!

First and foremost, this is my first manual transmission car. That was on my list of requirements for my next car; a list which this FR-S filled out perfectly. Basically, I wanted a manual, RWD, customizable sports car that I could fit in (6'3", 230 lbs). The Toyobaru 86 series offered several subjective benefits as well: aesthetics, "mojo," and driving character.

There are some less-than-thrilling quirks about it, though. I may be new to motoring proper, but even I wish it had some more punch. Fortunately, there is already a sizeable aftermarket that can satiate that hunger before too long. On the flip side, the ~200 hp ~160 ft/lb boxer motor definitely feels ample for its 2,700 lb curb weight. Continuing on, several reviews I've read mentioned the cheap-feeling interior, and I'll echo those thoughts. I suppose Toyota had to cut costs somewhere to keep this guy affordable, and it shows up in chincy trim. Fortunately for me, I didn't buy this car for interior amenities, so as long as I can prevent cracks and rattles, I'll be happy.

As for drivability, well, this guy delivers by the truckload. The steering is sharp, the suspension is firm but not painful, the shifting is quick and easy for a newbie like myself, and the little Prius tires break traction oh so wonderfully. It's just damn fun. A complaint I do have, however, is the clutch. I probably would never have noticed had I not read about it, given my lack of experience, but it's super smooth. There is almost no engagement feedback, and for a newbie, that may present some challenges getting the feel for it. I'm picking it up well enough, though.

I'll update this post with complaints/praises as they arise!

Edited by DeTrevni - 20 June 2013 at 9:28am
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 9:19am
Nice, that is a nice colour too.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 9:58am
Lucky. Have fun with it.

I'm waiting to have a job and for the newer models. Maybe waiting for the hybrid supra if more info is put out.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 11:05am
Nice, just don't pull and Rebs.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 11:06am
What made you go with the Scion configuration over the Subie?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 11:12am
Tallen, since build quality wasn't an issue, I decided to go for the simplest model. I didn't want all that unnecessary nonsense Subaru decided to put in theirs. I also don't like leather seats.

pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 11:34am
Congrats on the car purchase!

Are you parked in a handicap stop? LOL
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 11:41am
Yup. That's where it was parked at the dealership. :p

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 10:24pm
The car isn't very "you". Going from an old Buick, to a Impala, to a Caravan you wanted to drag race. It's a bit too normal.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 12:13am
Very nice dude!

I got in a highway race with one of those the other night. Was fun.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 2:00am
I'll trade you my Mazda Tribute for it. :(
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 2:34am
/like.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 7:13am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

The car isn't very "you". Going from an old Buick, to a Impala, to a Caravan you wanted to drag race. It's a bit too normal.

HEY. The Impala came AFTER the Caravan! But I'm impressed you remembered all that...

And thanks for the compliments, folks! Manuals are a lot of fun to drive, as it turns out.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 9:07am
Updated OP! I realize I forgot the motor pic. I'll add it this evening!

DUBBLE POSPOST

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 9:39am
Yeah, the major difference is the trim level, some exterior changes, and the suspension. The Scion is a bit more over-steer happy than the BRZ is. You have to want to put the Subie into a drift, the FR-S will do it a lot more easily.

Either way, nice choice! I'm not a big RWD fan. I appreciate it, but wouldn't want one for my daily driver given the weather we get where I live.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 10:04am
In Houston, inclimate weather is "hot" and "rain." The last one is fairly few and far between. Out here, AWD is a just-to-say-I-have-it thing, so I went for the most fun I could find on 4 wheels that met my requirements. Plus, the few extra grand I saved against the BRZ was a nice bonus.

Edited by DeTrevni - 19 June 2013 at 10:05am

Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I don’t have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 6:12pm
Nice! congrats!
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I'm not a big RWD fan.
This single comment makes me call into question everything I ever learned from you.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

I'm not a big RWD fan.
This single comment makes me call into question everything I ever learned from you.

This, x100000.

Don't get me wrong, I live further north than WV; AWD comes in handy during a few months of the year.  However, the amount of fun you can have in a RWD platform is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the average AWD platform, especially compared to an inherently understeery AWD platform like my Impreza.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

I'm not a big RWD fan.

This, x100000.

Don't get me wrong, I live further north than WV; AWD comes in handy during a few months of the year.  However, the amount of fun you can have in a RWD platform is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the average AWD platform, especially compared to an inherently understeery AWD platform like my Impreza.

FWD sucks. Plain and simple.

I live farther north than WV and I'm still alive. Decent tires and a few brain cells will get you through 90% of what AWD will.

Plus a true 4x4 with a selectable low range transfer case is a zillion times better than AWD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic