FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My First Sports Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Sports Car
    Posted: 22 June 2013 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

. . .  but here it's almost all manual cars.

Yes it is.  I taught myself to drive a stick while stationed in the U.K. in the early 1980's.  (Which means I had to learn to drive on the wrong side of the road at the same time I was learning to use a stick shift . . . with my left hand.)  It took me a while to remember to use the right hand to shift once I got back to the states;  I grabbed the window crank quite a few times instead of the gear shift.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 2:02pm

. . .  but here it's almost all manual cars.

Yes it is.  I taught myself to drive a stick while stationed in the U.K. in the early 1980's.  (Which means I had to learn to drive on the wrong side of the road at the same time I was learning to use a stick shift . . . with my left hand.)  It took me a while to remember to use the right hand to shift once I got back to the states;  I grabbed the window crank quite a few times instead of the gear shift.

I'll likely never drive an auto again after slamming the brakes on a dual carriageway while attempting to change gear. I maintain I nearly died.

I did that at work once while I was in the U.K.  (Most of the tactical government vehicles we used on base were imported from the states and I would sometimes forget they weren't manuals.)  Split my lip on the steering wheel and probably would have been worse but I was in combat gear and the helmet absorbed most of the shock.

Edited by Mack - 22 June 2013 at 2:02pm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 12:16pm

With the new pics I am prettyimpressed mate. Nice brief.

How much experience do you have with manual? and how do you like it? I just ask as I've always wondered why it's mainly auto over your way but here it's almost all manual cars.

I'll likely never drive an auto again after slamming the brakes on a dual carriageway while attempting to change gear. I maintain I nearly died.

Thanks!

This is my first manual car, but motorcycles are manual, and I've been riding for about 3 or 4 years now. It took some getting used to clutching in with my foot instead of hand, but I think my experiencing in motorcycles helped me pick it up fairly quickly. It took about 3 days for me to be pretty firmly comfortable with it, at least enough so to be willing to take the car wherever and carry passengers without giving them concussions from improper shifts. :p

So it's mostly manual transmissions over there? I didn't know that. It seems like we Murricans just love our lazy, self-propelled, four-wheel boats. I wanted a car that would let me actually feel the driving experience, so I was looking for a light, rear wheel drive coupe with a manual transmission, i.e. a sports car. :)

I still have my Buick for my pavement-boating needs.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 2:46am
When's the LS swap coming?
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 5:17pm
With the new pics I am prettyimpressed mate. Nice brief.

How much experience do you have with manual? and how do you like it? I just ask as I've always wondered why it's mainly auto over your way but here it's almost all manual cars.

The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 2:18pm
No. No you don't. Not ever.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Where are the half naked women on car picts????

Screw that, I want the half-naked DeTrevni on car pics!   
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 9:57am
Where are the half naked women on car picts????
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 9:29am
I added dash/console and motor pics.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 7:55am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

I figure I'll be happy with about 260 horses and 200 ft/lb torque. Given that this thing is a few pounds lighter than a Honda S2000, I won't need a massive gain to get a pretty killer power to weight ratio.

Yeah, I'd imagine that you could have a ton of fun and still keep it manageable on a track.

I haven't had a chance to drive one yet, but I hear they handle somewhat like a Miata, and I've pushed my buddy's MX-5 pretty hard through corners and it felt great.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 7:21am
I figure I'll be happy with about 260 horses and 200 ft/lb torque. Given that this thing is a few pounds lighter than a Honda S2000, I won't need a massive gain to get a pretty killer power to weight ratio.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 4:50am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Now ptuning needs to just hurry and finally release their turbo kit, and then you can get it and have a beast of a car.

Ptuning has been working on this car the day it was released to the first 86. It still has yet to be finished. Taking a long time.

I think there's already a supercharger for it, possibly Vortech or Procharger.

Really though, for what that car's made of, your first investment (right away) should be wider, stickier tires and a dyno tune. I'll bet you'll see the performance boost you're looking for from those things alone.

I'm in the process of getting the turbo done on my car right now. I've got the turbo kit, intercooler, boost a bump, Crane cams, x-pipe, and cat delete that should boost me to around 450 horsepower to the rear wheel (around 510'ish to the crank)

The catch, however, is that this is essentially a straight line build. I'll need to get suspension parts from a Shelby to put the car's handling where it needs to be to handle the extra horses, and at that point I'll probably just buy another car to drive every day.

RWD cars are fun as hell, but you can quickly offset the balance of horsepower to suspension and over power yourself. Honestly,  at this point, I'm toying with adding just enough mods to my car to get it to outrunning 5.0's and SS Camaros and then putting the turbo up for when I can rebuild the bottom end and pull the horsepower numbers up significantly (I'd like to get 500 to the rear wheels.) Again though, that's straight line racing.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:09am
Now ptuning needs to just hurry and finally release their turbo kit, and then you can get it and have a beast of a car.

Ptuning has been working on this car the day it was released to the first 86. It still has yet to be finished. Taking a long time.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 10:35pm
Definitely jealous. That's one sexy car you got there.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I'm not a big RWD fan.
This single comment makes me call into question everything I ever learned from you.

This, x100000.

Don't get me wrong, I live further north than WV; AWD comes in handy during a few months of the year. †However, the amount of fun you can have in a RWD platform is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the average AWD platform, especially compared to an inherently understeery AWD platform like my Impreza.

FWD sucks. Plain and simple.

I live farther north than WV and I'm still alive. Decent tires and a few brain cells will get you through 90% of what AWD will.

Plus a true 4x4 with a selectable low range transfer case is a zillion times better than AWD.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

I'm not a big RWD fan.
This single comment makes me call into question everything I ever learned from you.

This, x100000.

Don't get me wrong, I live further north than WV; AWD comes in handy during a few months of the year.  However, the amount of fun you can have in a RWD platform is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the average AWD platform, especially compared to an inherently understeery AWD platform like my Impreza.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 7:07pm

I'm not a big RWD fan.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 6:12pm
Nice! congrats!
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 10:04am
In Houston, inclimate weather is "hot" and "rain." The last one is fairly few and far between. Out here, AWD is a just-to-say-I-have-it thing, so I went for the most fun I could find on 4 wheels that met my requirements. Plus, the few extra grand I saved against the BRZ was a nice bonus.

Edited by DeTrevni - 19 June 2013 at 10:05am

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 9:39am
Yeah, the major difference is the trim level, some exterior changes, and the suspension. The Scion is a bit more over-steer happy than the BRZ is. You have to want to put the Subie into a drift, the FR-S will do it a lot more easily.

Either way, nice choice! I'm not a big RWD fan. I appreciate it, but wouldn't want one for my daily driver given the weather we get where I live.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic