FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NSA Fiasco

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NSA Fiasco
    Posted: 11 June 2013 at 1:18am
As most of you know, an ex-contractor for the NSA/CIA leaked information about some intelligence projects that the government is using to gather information on anybody or everybody, including U.S. citizens. I think it's safe to say we knew this before the analyst spilled the beans, but this really confirms it. The U.S. Government is collecting data on an unimaginable scale which can/could potentially be used against anybody who is targeted. It's some scary shiz.

What are your thoughts on this?
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 4:31am
If you're not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't have anything to hide.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 6:25am
I don't really know how I feel about the whole thing.

A couple of things spring readily to mind.

1. I'm not shocked.
2. I'm not daft enough to think that this is something brand new.
3. Some poor jerk has to sift through the crap I put on the internet and say over my cell phone? Hope he's got spare time. To spare.
4. What could possibly be done to stop it?

I GET the whole 'national security' angle, but at what point is the line crossed on the whole privacy/security thing?
What I don't get, is how quickly this will become another political game chip. The same people who defended the Patriot Act and some of the stuff that happened in the name of NS under the Bush administration are going insane over this. In principal, the goal is the same.

What's irritating me the MOST though.....is my facebook news feed. You'd be amazed at how many people are actually convinced that Obama is doing this for nefarious reasons and is one step away from actually imprisoning and indoctrinating everyone into the Muslim Brotherhood.

......I really don't know why I keep these people.

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 6:43am
In other news, Reynolds Wrap stocks are up 12% this week.
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 8:39am
What I've always wondered is..

Between the Patriot Act and stuff like this, how much has been prevented that we don't know about?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 10:15am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

What I've always wondered is..

Between the Patriot Act and stuff like this, how much has been prevented that we don't know about?

Honestly, probably not a whole lot. Both the Bush and Obama administrations like to crow when they get it right. They want the public to see that it's "all for the greater good" which makes me think there's not a whole lot that's been stopped by these kinds of things.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 5:04pm
What I find interesting is the reaction in the US over this compared to what's happening in Istanbul. 

Turkish bro seizes various public lands/spaces for government, protest happens, big brother shuts it down, and we see widespread rioting. 

Obama and NSA bros have ubiquitous access to an incomprehensible amount of data at the behest of electronic giants like Facebook, Google, Verizon, etc., and people are using their Verizon phones to post on Facebook about how Obama sucks. 

Oh well. Back to caring about the NBA finals. 
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2013 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

1. I'm not shocked.
3. Some poor jerk has to sift through the crap I put on the internet and say over my cell phone? Hope he's got spare time. To spare.

I GET the whole 'national security' angle, but at what point is the line crossed on the whole privacy/security thing?
What I don't get, is how quickly this will become another political game chip. The same people who defended the Patriot Act and some of the stuff that happened in the name of NS under the Bush administration are going insane over this. In principal, the goal is the same.

What's irritating me the MOST though.....is my facebook news feed. You'd be amazed at how many people are actually convinced that Obama is doing this for nefarious reasons and is one step away from actually imprisoning and indoctrinating everyone into the Muslim Brotherhood.

Conversely, you could modify the bolded section above to point out that the same people who went insane over the Bush administration doing this will be defending this administration.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

1. I'm not shocked.

Conversely, you could modify the bolded section above to point out that the same people who went insane over the Bush administration doing this will be defending this administration.

That's not something I'm seeing right now.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 2:45am
I don't think they're are defending it, but a lot more quiet than expected. Some are very vocal, while most are more worried about how to put food on the table.

The fact that Obama failed to meet the expectations he brought to the table in 2008, has definitely struck a nerve with Democrats though. Not closing GTMO etc etc. The only reason they voted for him in 2012 was in hopes he would somehow come through in his second term. Or the fact that Romney would never meet them.

For a party that supports liberties, this current administration has supported the past practices and embraced new ones such as the NDAA, that absolutely destroy the few rights/liberties we still have. Meh, see you boys and girls in 2016; to watch two authoritarian presidential candidates battle it out.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 9:09pm
None of the domestic spying helped prevent Boston. Faulty starting mechanisms prevented the Time Square bombing. I wonder if this program has any success stories? (It is hard to brad about something that "doesn't exist"). Also, I hope this program was run with better intentions than the IRS had.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 3:43pm
Personally, I am significantly more comfortable with the idea that I may be killed in a terrorism related explosion (or any other kind of explosion for that matter) at some point; rather than knowing that all of my communications are being stashed in a government database in the dessert. I don't care if they will ever actually be read or not.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Personally, I am significantly more comfortable with the idea that I may be killed in a terrorism related explosion (or any other kind of explosion for that matter) at some point; rather than knowing that all of my communications are being stashed in a government database in the dessert. I don't care if they will ever actually be read or not.

I am willing to do the digging to find out how far this goes. Give me a spoon.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 4:49pm
[insert self-facepalm .jpeg here]
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 6:13pm
I'm far more concerned with the Patriot Act and the NDAA than this. I'm all about whistleblowers, but in my opinion the pressure put on the government is to both ensure our safety and protect our liberties.

Now me, I fall squarely in the "Liberty > Safety" camp of things, but the majority of the nation only agrees with me until a terroristic attack. Boston is a great example. I'll I've heard since Boston was the presidents failure to prevent it-AFTER these same people criticize him for impacting their liberties.

I think that, if put to a vote, the majority of Americans would sacrifice personal liberty to protect their kids. In that light, I don't see this particular incident as terribly shocking.

I do see this administration as an abstract failure for the reasons that impulse listed. They've failed to enforce the liberties that the left is supposed to champion and have ignored conservatives on most all issues. To me, this president has represented the irony if running in hope and change but forking over the same muddled political ideologies as his predecessors.

That said, I don't think he's "evil" or intent on destroying the country, I think he is (as are most) so intent on forwarding his own agenda that all else comes in second.

Edited by stratoaxe - 13 June 2013 at 6:19pm
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2013 at 6:20pm
Not even correcting my autocorrections any more, I think you guys get my points.
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 10:42pm
Came here just to say this:

BEIN LIED TAH!
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic