FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stick it Andy, Apparently, I'm exempt.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stick it Andy, Apparently, I'm exempt.
    Posted: 02 June 2013 at 8:11pm
I've had my duty pistol for a while now, and on the rare occasion I carry it outside of the house, I have the magazines loaded with the SS approved 7 rounds.

Well, I actually got yelled at for that today.

I was called in to the police station along with other members of the department and my fellow recruit from the same town for "Use of force Refresher" - basically, nothing that I didn't already know from Academy class just a few months ago. After that, we were having a firearm cleaning and inspection, so I was told to bring my sidearm.

The instructor noted that mine was still in its new case rather than on a duty belt (not issued anything yet.) He asked to see it, so I let him- and he asked if anyone had an empty magazine that he could work it through and whatnot. I volunteered to unload the magazine I had in the case, and he watched as I counted out the 7 rounds.

"What the Censored?  Are you going to be THAT guy?"

I tell him that I'm not on the job yet, and I didn't want to ever get into a situation where a technicality could screw me. My thought was that since I'm not TECHNICALLY an officer yet, I'd damn well better abide by the nuances of the Screw-ball legislation that the SS handed down back in January.

He proceeded to tell me exactly what he thought of that particular theory, (The subtle and not-so-subtle language details, I'll omit) and told me that since I took and signed my oath, I was a police officer and to "Load my <KRL>ing magazines." He was genuinely irritated, and every other officer in there agreed with him.

For the record, the DA in the next county over refused to prosecute someone who was pinched for having 9 rounds in his magazine instead of 7. The whole act is on shaky ground, but my idea was that I'd better play ball if I wanted to stay out of trouble until I was hired. I was informed today, that I'm playing a whole new game already.

....I wonder if this means I can buy an AR now?

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2013 at 10:05pm
Probably shouldn't take legal advice from a officer.

I would play it safe, until you have a statute backing up his claim.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2013 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Probably shouldn't take legal advice from a officer.

I would play it safe, until you have a statute backing up his claim.

Nah. I'm taking their word for it. Its about as good a bit of advice as anyone in the state can offer at this point. Plus, considering its their job to enforce the new laws....I'll put some stock in what they have to say.

I did some double checking on my own- "Law Police officer" as defined by the NYS CPL and PL books is someone who has been sworn by a municipality (ie: me.) So where I was worried about getting stuck on a technicality...its another technicality in the definition that keeps me on the good side of things.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2013 at 11:29pm
Honestly, I wouldn't want someone like him protecting or serving me. I wouldn't be surprised he adds to the bad rap that cops get.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 12:18am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Honestly, I wouldn't want someone like him protecting or serving me. I wouldn't be surprised he adds to the bad rap that cops get.

Why's that? His attitude towards the new laws are no different than any of the other guys I've met and talked to in the last 6 months, and echoed what everyone else in the room was thinking.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 1:27am
He's talking to you with disrespect. If he can't respect you, someone that could be saving his life, then what can I expect from him if I were to encounter him.

I don't care how many bullets you have in your magazine. The person behind the gun is who I am worried about.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 3:29am
You could tell him you are downloading it to prevent magazine wear, and to ensure reliability, like they did with the 30 rounder mags on AR's :)

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 7:25am
Not to mention, while the laws are in effect, defense lawyers can use any law you break against you. Not that I'm a legal expert, but it seems like that could be a bad thing. Even if it is a stupid, terrible, Big Brother law, it's a law. I'd be very careful of breaking it until it gets repealed...

Plus, from a principles view, isn't it your duty to protect and preserve law as well as the citizenry? It's not your job to fight terrible laws. When the lawkeepers start breaking laws, where are we to find order? Encourage the people to act against these terrible laws, legally, but you are on a different plane now...

Edited by DeTrevni - 03 June 2013 at 7:29am
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 7:46am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

He's talking to you with disrespect. If he can't respect you, someone that could be saving his life, then what can I expect from him if I were to encounter him.

I don't care how many bullets you have in your magazine. The person behind the gun is who I am worried about.

Oh. That.

haha, I should probably mention that I've known him since I was a kid, we were involved in a rescue together with the FD years ago. His reaction and language to me was born more out of the personal relationship we have than any sort of professional discourtesy. I trust this guy implicitly.

There ARE one of two of the people on there though that I hope I don't have too much road time with during FTO, but that's another story. LOL

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 7:51am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Plus, from a principles view, isn't it your duty to protect and preserve law as well as the citizenry? It's not your job to fight terrible laws. When the lawkeepers start breaking laws, where are we to find order? Encourage the people to act against these terrible laws, legally, but you are on a different plane now...

This is the nature of the battle in NY now. Cuomo is using that very line "You don't get to choose which laws to enforce" to ramrod what he likes into policy.
There's a lot of tiptoing around, and AS a private citizen, I was doing what I could to comply with the law, like it or not. Hell, I even asked HERE where I could find someone who I could get a couple of 10 round magazines shipped from so I was not carrying the 15 round ones for law enforcement until I was hired.

But even before the LEO exemptions came out, there were 0 police officers I met (and there have been a lot in the last 5 months) who have limited themselves to 7 rounds. It didn't make sense to from a safety and tactical standpoint.

The point was that I've found out that my status is official enough that my mind is at ease with some of the things I was worried about when it came to carrying.

Side note: One month to go in schooling. Passed our PT exam last weekend, its all academic from here!

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 8:03am
Oh, I believe the laws are Draconian, and how they were rushed into effect without real citizen approval should be illegal, but I still don't know if I'm comfortable with the idea that every lawkeeper is breaking the law. I believe the people really need to be more active in fighting these sort of laws. Our country is set up so we CAN fight. If your area is like mine, most people couldn't be bothered to even think about what's going on in their own world. I myself have only recently started paying attention.

That said, I really do respect what you are committing yourself to doing. So don't screw it up! :p

And congrats on that PT exam. :)

KRL15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Afghanistan Five-Oh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRL15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2013 at 3:40pm
Reb,

Congrats on the LE job!

Are you also still involved with teaching? 

It has been a long time and I have not been able to stay current regarding your life adventure.  I hope that you and yours are well.

I understand your dilemma.  You swore to uphold the Constitution of the USA, which means that unconstitutional laws should not be enforced.  You also swore to uphold the laws of the State and your municipality, which are subservient to the Constitution... 

The real problem is that ultimately,  the job of determining what laws are Constitutional belongs to the courts, not the cops. 

If you take a moral stand you put yourself at great professional risk, even if the courts eventually agree with you.  If the courts disagree with you, you are finished.  As a disgraced cop, you are no longer credible, even if you and like minded individuals believe that you were morally correct.

You must follow your Oath as best as you can, use good judgement, weigh the risks and remain true to yourself. 

You will make mistakes.  Hopefully, your mistakes will not consume you or destroy you; or anyone else.

Nobody (not him) said that it was going to be easy.

Stay safe,
Karl

Edited by KRL15 - 04 July 2013 at 11:50am
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2013 at 11:18pm

What the KRL!?

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 1:41pm
I feel like I now understand how all of those college kids who have had run ins with Bill Murray feel now.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 12:29am
No one will believe you.

You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 2:23am
Oh my god krl15 is back
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic