FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Xbox One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xbox One
    Posted: 22 May 2013 at 1:48pm
How is no one discussing this abomination to console gaming? I'd type up a tirade on it, but I hate typing on my phone, so I'll wait until I'm home...

In short: harbinger of death to consoles.

Edited by DeTrevni - 22 May 2013 at 1:49pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 2:33pm
Is this the official name for the "Xbox 720"?
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 2:47pm
Yes.

pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 3:02pm
I assume you are talking about the fee to play used games that has been reported.  I haven't seen anything officially said on this yet and I'm not going to make any judgement till I do.  I find it kind of weird people are making such a huge deal over the 1 hour announcement.  Sure the event was poor and they didn't say much, but I'm not sure how people can jump to the conclusion that the console will be terrible. 
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 3:12pm
I'll explain myself when I get home, but if what has been reported goes into production, I'm against it on principle.

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 3:46pm
huh, I thought it looked awesome.

DRM and Fees for old games aside. 
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:07pm
- Mandatory internet connectivity/Live account
- DRM nonsense leads to destroyed used game market, and inability to share games with friends or bring games to their house
- Not backwards compatible
- Pre-equiped with Kinect and Blue Ray, leading to unnecessary increased costs
- XBLA games not transferable

This is personal taste, but I also do not like the "Jack of all trades, master of none" thing going around. It seems like developers are just tossing on unnecessary add-ons labelled as "features" and using it as an excuse to charge more. I've been unhappy with the direction of the gaming industry for a while, and this is striking me as another nail in the coffin. Looks like I have an excuse to build the PC I've been wanting, at least.

Edited by DeTrevni - 22 May 2013 at 4:14pm

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

How is no one discussing this abomination to console gaming? 
Nothing to discuss.

In short: harbinger of death to consoles.
Nah, Wii U beat them to it.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 5:02pm

This is personal taste, but I also do not like the "Jack of all trades, master of none" thing going around. It seems like developers are just tossing on unnecessary add-ons labelled as "features" and using it as an excuse to charge more.
Wii U Tablet contoller

Looks like I have an excuse to build the PC I've been wanting, at least.
I did this April last year and couldn't be happier.

pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 6:07pm

- Mandatory internet connectivity/Live account
I dont believe this is required.  From what I read you will have to install the game to your hard drive in order to play.
- DRM nonsense leads to destroyed used game market, and inability to share games with friends or bring games to their house
This is where installing the game on the hard drive comes in.  I have read something that you will be able to trade games over the internet.  Nothing official on how this works yet.  But they have said it will cost a fee.  I don't like this and will agree with you.
- Not backwards compatible
Is anything?
- Pre-equiped with Kinect and Blue Ray, leading to unnecessary increased costs
They haven't released the cost of anything yet.  A bluray player can't add that much of a cost anymore.  I'm not worried about this yet. 
- XBLA games not transferable
Haven't heard about this yet.

This is personal taste, but I also do not like the "Jack of all trades, master of none" thing going around. It seems like developers are just tossing on unnecessary add-ons labelled as "features" and using it as an excuse to charge more. I've been unhappy with the direction of the gaming industry for a while, and this is striking me as another nail in the coffin. Looks like I have an excuse to build the PC I've been wanting, at least.

I will agree with you and dislike what they are trying to do with used games and such.  But I still think its too early to judge since all we have seen is a crappy news conference.  I think after E3 we will have a better understanding of what is to come.  Even then, these next gen consoles won't truly be judged until they both have been released to the public.

That being said. after both of the news conferences from Sony and Microsoft, I would but the PS4 right now.  But its too early to judge.

Also PC > Console.  However, I know way more friends and family that play consoles.

Edited by pntbl freak - 22 May 2013 at 6:08pm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 6:07pm
Stormy: I really can't argue that. The Wii U is a joke, too.

Pntbl: Going over new news releases, I'm seeing Microsoft backpedal a LOT on this one. They say now that they are "designing the Xbox One to be able to trade and resell games," with "more on that later." This is NOT what was reported even yesterday. I think the backlash is sinking in. If they keep the "fee" thing, whatever they "design" means nothing to me. As for backwards compatibility, well, my PS2, Wii, and Xbox 360 are all backwards compatible. Even my DS and good ol' Advance (and SP) are backwards compatible. In fact, I think the only non-backwards compatible system is the PS3... 

I've heard rumors of $500 price points, but that's all speculation.

Here's more food for thought: This is what the PUBLICLY presented. This is what a bunch of higher-ups and publicists thought was best. Frankly, that offends me.

Also:

Edited by DeTrevni - 22 May 2013 at 6:42pm

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:44pm
Both of my PS3s were backwards compatible. Was that taken out in later models?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 8:03pm
PS3s are PS1 compatible, but only early PS3 were PS2 compatible, I believe.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 4:54am
Microsoft is at a distinct disadvantage this time around. They have weak IP's anyway, and with the online only and used game rumors they're starting to look totalitarian about their system. Unless they really start dropping some big third party names, I'm leaning towards a PS4 myself.

I have a gut feeling one of the consoles is in its last iteration. The game industry isn't so vibrant right now and PC gaming is making a comeback. Sony struggled the last generation while MS did well and Nintendo banked, but I've always felt Sony made the better system and the Wii was a steaming pile that cheated with casual games and fake market rushes. That said, Nintendo isn't going anywhere unless they decide to stick to handhelds which I could actually see.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 7:24am
I believe that the gaming industry is tanking because the developers seem to refuse the concept of "original." It's not that there are less gamers, it's that there's less good, original games. Like Hollywood, the games that have been coming out are rehashes and sequels. The "Triple A" game thing is a joke. With as much money as these developers are throwing at their games, you figure we'd be able to do better than Call of Duty 8, Halo 6, the ruination of Lara Croft, etc. I no longer get excited for a new game. Every time I do, I leave disappointed. Developers are playing it safe, and while that's good for immediate sales, people are getting tired of it, and it's reflecting in the market.

That said, I AM hesitantly looking forward to Remember Me and Evil Within.

Edit: It doesn't help that developers are apparently actively cutting out half the market. Girl gamers, anyone?

Edited by DeTrevni - 23 May 2013 at 7:25am

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:47am

I believe that the gaming industry is tanking because the developers seem to refuse the concept of "original." It's not that there are less gamers, it's that there's less good, original games. Like Hollywood, the games that have been coming out are rehashes and sequels. The "Triple A" game thing is a joke. With as much money as these developers are throwing at their games, you figure we'd be able to do better than Call of Duty 8, Halo 6, the ruination of Lara Croft, etc. I no longer get excited for a new game. Every time I do, I leave disappointed. Developers are playing it safe, and while that's good for immediate sales, people are getting tired of it, and it's reflecting in the market.

That said, I AM hesitantly looking forward to Remember Me and Evil Within.

Edit: It doesn't help that developers are apparently actively cutting out half the market. Girl gamers, anyone?

There's one caveat to your lament about the downfall of the gaming industry. If you look to "XBLA" style games or foreign titles, you get a much better story for your money. I can't sing the praises of the Metro and Stalker series enough. Sure, Clear Sky sucked, but SoC and CoP were fantastic titles for their time. Survivarium is going to be excellent as well (Vostok Games) 4A has proved that you can pull great stories and a different view of the world out of the former Soviet bloc. And all your indie games (Braid, Shadow Complex, etc) not only cost less to produce and buy, but are genuinely fun to play.

THQ went out with a whimper and I fully expect the other AAA houses to start having issues in the not too distant future.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:04am
Oh, I agree that a lot of foreign and indie companies put out great products. They seem to have more passion, because they tend to not get the funding that the "big dawgs" have. Thusly, they HAVE to put out good product to be successful. Terrible viral games aside... My disappointment lies in the AAA BS. With the money they can put into a product, they could make epic games. New, exciting games. But they choose to play it safe for immediate sales and release the same drivel over and over. And the fact that they ARE big drives them. They can advertise and push, and because of that it sells. Because it sells, they say "that's what they want." I don't think it is. I think it's all we've got. It's a self defeating cycle. Smart Parts anyone?

Edited by DeTrevni - 23 May 2013 at 9:07am

SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 11:36am
The only reason why I'll buy a new system is for Fallout and the next Elder Scrolls. Bethesda has their stuff together.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:19pm
I've already decided that I'm never going to buy a console again.

Nvidia just launched it's GTX 700 series GPUs and Intel is releasing it's Haswell series processors next month.
I know what I'm doing with my money! Smile
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 10:53am
Why ever would microsoft want to choke out the console gaming market and force more people into the constant upgrade cycle of PC gaming!?!?!? WHY?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic