FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LI police kill Student. Opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LI police kill Student. Opinions?
    Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:15pm
http://www.news10.com/story/22294581/split-second-choice-ended-with-ny-student-dead

Short story is that the suspect had a gun to the head of this girl, turned it on the cop who shot him, and accidentally hit the girl, killing her too.

What are your thoughts on this? I have a friend who is yelling that he's tired of seeing "Cops get away with this Censored" and that its manslaughter if not outright murder.

He also flat out told me that since there were 8 shots fired, that if the cops were only allowed 7 rounds like the rest of NY, this might not have happened.

Anyway, Cees- what do you think? This is in your back yard isn't it?
Anyone?

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:36pm
Stuff happens.  It's unfortunate, but the cop shouldn't beat himself up about it and no one else should either.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:59pm
Kinda surprised he fired 8 shots, but he made the choice he had to make. If he didn't fire, he'd be dead and the girl would be dead and the perp would be free to kill again.

Your buddy is a douche btw.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 4:31pm
Aren't LEOs supposed to abide by SAFE?

It's pretty clear cut that the Cop isn't at fault. Crappy situation with crappy results.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Kinda surprised he fired 8 shots, but he made the choice he had to make. If he didn't fire, he'd be dead and the girl would be dead and the perp would be free to kill again.

Pretty much.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 4:52pm
It's the hostage taker's fault.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 5:31pm
Crap situation. Everyone has the decision making skills of some people that make really quick accurate decisions when talking about cases like this.

I am wondering why 8 shots were fired, how they were fired and how many times the girl was shot. These would definitely be swinging points. Like a barrage is unwise/stupid hostage rescue skills but if one shot was fired and the girl dropped then hells yeah that guy is trying to kill people pop another 7 into him so you can help the girl.

From what I read/didn't read in that article you can paint any picture you want so I'll leave it there for now.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 5:58pm
You always shoot the hostage. Take them out of the equation.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:19pm
Scotchy, 7 in perp 1 in girl.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 7:34pm
I don't think anyone can make any judgements about that situation beyond the word "unfortunate."
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I don't think the police officer will be a police officer ever again, but due to the situation I don't think he'll go to prison for this mistake.

Edited by deadeye007 - 20 May 2013 at 7:37pm
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:47am
Unfortunately, marksmanship is not a high priority in training for Suffolk and Nassau county police. The article says the officers were responding to a robbery in progress, it would make one believe they were unaware of the situation within the residence. Taking a shot like that, skell holding a hostage close as a human shield, is dangerous and wreckless even for the most skilled marksman.  Now, the article does not seem to get an accurate time line. What shot killed the hostage? 7 rounds into a man within close proximity?
Now, from what I would guess is the cops point of view, a man with a hand gun pointing at you with the intent to kill you and your partner would be enough to make him defend himself. The truly sad and unfortunate is that a young woman was killed in the action.
btw, no amount of limitation of magazine capacity would have stopped this. Your "friend" is a very uninformed, ignorant douche bag.  I bet IF (IF because we don't know from the article what type of pistol he was using) Dalton Smith was holding a magazine fed pistol, my belief is that he had more in it than the law dictates and no fear of punishment for having more than 7 in the pistol. The SAFE act would have done nothing to prevent this tragedy.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

What are your thoughts on this? I have a friend who is yelling that he's tired of seeing "Cops get away with this Censored" and that its manslaughter if not outright murder.

What exactly did the cop get away with? Protecting himself from getting shot? I'll agree with the others that your friend is a douche. It's extremely unfortunate, but cops have to make these types of decisions. Not everyone is going to be happy with the outcome, but it is what it is. Not knowing the exact particulars, I am curious why someone thinks he will lose his job over this? From what I have heard, doesn't seem like he violated any sorts of procedures?
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:36pm
I went to school there, and i have to say; shame on anyone who lives in off campus housing...yes, there are no rules like there are at school, but in Hempstead (that area in particular) by living even on the street next to the school you are tripling your chances of having something bad happen to you. Weekly letters would go out about students getting mugged in that area at knife, gun, and even bat-point.

Besides that, from what i read the gunman had the girl in a headlock "movie style hostage situation"...when the gunman raised his weapon at the cop, the cop did the best he could. Same kind of stuff happens here in Afghanistan, albeit nothing like a hostage situation, but escalation of force is a long and intricate process that can last from 5 seconds to 10 minutes.
little devil View Drop Down
one language strike, 2/23/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 2:00pm

Unless he's only allowed 7 in the gun and nothing more, what did he do wrong? Also, It seems as though the hostage situation was unknown on the officers part. How can anyone say he shouldn't of shot, really? If he disregarded the hostage situation and decided he's going in, then yes. Fire and prosecute him. If hes carrying more bullets than the law states he should also be fired and charged accordingly as well. So unlesss he disregarded orders or was commiting a crime himself, what can they charge him with?

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 2:20pm
The SAFE act is vague and did include police to require only 7 in the magazine. That was re-written to exclude police on duty.  I don't believe the officer will lose his job but he may be transferred to a desk for awhile.  However, if it were his first shot that killed the girl, that may an issue depending on who is doing the investigation. If it is DA Rice, this guy might be strung up by his Buster Browns. 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 1:58pm
Honestly, eight shots in that tight of a situation? You better be confident in your ability to keep calm and take the shot.

It's easy to look in from the outside and criticize the way the officer handled this. However, law enforcers are required to go through strict training and be prepared for these types of situation. He clearly couldn't keep his crap together and ended up costing the hostage their life. Eight shots...really?

Officer should lose his badge.

*Also, just want to add I might be a bit biased from growing up in Suffolk County. These cops pretty much won the lottery by getting a job with Suffolk/Nassau. Most are just there to collect their paycheck until forced into their ridiculous retirement plan. I have seen VERY little police work to justify these salaries. When demanding situations like this come up, the officers always seem to under-perform.

Edited by Boss_DJ - 30 May 2013 at 2:14pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic