FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Metro: Last Light. A pre-review.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metro: Last Light. A pre-review.
    Posted: 15 May 2013 at 9:32am
So, picked up my reserved copy of Metro: Last Light yesterday, waited until it got dark, turned out the lights, popped it in the 360 and got to work.

I haven't made it far. Partly because I work today and didn't want to be a zombie, and partly because the story is really, really, really good and I don't want to push through it in one go. It's the kind of storytelling and scrip that makes you want to savor each bite as you get into the meat of it.

That said, it's not without it's flaws. Game play is fine, but they've added a few more buttons to the controller layout so it takes a bit to get used to selecting weapons, filters, flashlight, etc. vs the layout in 2033. It's also not as intuitive in the default layout, but you can customize so it's alright. Sensitivity is also on the low-end and needs to be bumped up, but again, it's a quick fix.

The other flaw so far has more to do with the world we live in today and the cult-like status of the original game. Many of the buyers out there haven't played 2033. In the current realm where story isn't as important (ie CoD/MoH, Halo, et al) people are used to being able to pick up a sequel without playing its predecessor first and being able to jump right in, so there's a bit of back story you slog through at first that also acts as a tutorial, but once you're out there on your own (or in my case, with Pavel, a young communist scout from the Red Line who saved my butt) it gets down to brass tacks with the story telling and atmosphere really quickly. And that's what this game is about. Not how many mutants you can slaughter in a short amount of time, but rather the experience of the story. In fact, there's not a whole lot of gun-play which I like. It reminds me of Half Life 2 in that aspect. It's not wave after wave of enemies, and stealth is definitely valued over confrontation.

So far, I'm really enjoying it. To the point that I'm looking forward to going home today simply to play the game. Definitely worth a pick-up so far, and I'm fairly certain that if they don't mess about with the formula too much, we'll see a very successful series come out of all of this.

Oh, and it doesn't really pull any punches on the dialog. Definitely not "forum friendly" language, but it takes place in post-apocalyptic Russia, so it makes sense. It also does a good job of incorporating things left out 2033 that were in the book, like the explanation of how the mutants got into the Metro in the first place. The first playable scene is pretty tight too.

So far. 9 out of 10
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:27pm
im looking forward to playing it more today. omnly played about 2 hrs last night. the weapon selection is easier on PC, you can just scroll the mouse wheel through the guns. i also like how they incorperated an actual melee system.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:19pm
Yeah, it's just tapping the A-button for your guns on the 360, but to choose knives, grenades, or claymores, it's a little more difficult.

Also, I LOVE the fact that when you're in a selection screen, the game only slows down, it doesn't stop.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 6:40am
Stick_Boy, did you make it to the airliner yet?
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 3:08pm
Ive never played the first one but was thinking about picking it up.

I'm currently playing BioShock Infinite.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Stick_Boy, did you make it to the airliner yet?

just finished it today. going to play through again, and try not to just use the air gun that shoots ball bearings. also try to sneak more rather than kill everyone.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 5:15pm
Been doing a combo of sneak and kill. Try to sneak, but when I'm found, all bets are off.

Work and gardening have been sucking up time, so I'm only to the Swamp right now. Good GAWD is that hard! Did get a lap dance last night. Can't believe the amount of titties!
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:11pm
Famous titties?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Famous titties?

Potentially. I seriously think they hired the guys who do the bounce physics from the DOA franchise though!
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:37am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Famous titties?

Potentially. I seriously think they hired the guys who do the bounce physics from the DOA franchise though!

yeah I noticed that. the nudity snuck up on my like it did in far cry 3
it just happens. I would have finished it sooner but It's hard to pull my self away from playing DayZ.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic