FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Okay, you guys are smarter than me....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Okay, you guys are smarter than me....
    Posted: 13 May 2013 at 12:39pm
I need a few brain-waves sent this way because I'm at a loss.

Before I joined the Academy, the town I live in, and their department decided to sponsor me, which was great, because tuition went form $4400 to $2100.
I was told that I was responsible for that $2100, which I agreed to, and paid it.

A few weeks ago, I get a message from the college....wanting the rest of it.

Essentially what happened, is nobody told the DEPARTMENT that THEY had to be the ones to pay that $2100. Basically, I give them the $$ and they cut a check with it to the college.

Now, I know that the department didn't know this because one of the other guys in the class is in the same boat, and he's sponsored by a different department - meaning it was articulated to NEITHER department that they were the ones the $$ was supposed to come from.

Somewhere along the lines, communication broke down, and I'm having to pay for it.
I'm not sure how to even BEGIN to iron this out. There's 4 parties involved here, the college, the academy, the department, and me.

I've told the department what's going on.
I've told the academy what's going on.
I've told the college what's going on.

The college tells me "Too bad, tuition's due."
The department tells me "We'll contact the academy."
The academy told me "We'll contact the college."

.....and nothing has been changed so far.

Where would you start? I'm NOT paying them another dime, since I'm technically not responsible for it.
But this needs to be hammered out because I'm 6 weeks from graduation and in danger of being bounced out because somebody above my head failed to communicate properly.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 1:07pm
If it were me, I'd set up a meeting between all three and have them hammer it out be it in person or a conference call. Stay on them until it gets paid. But don't shell out yourself.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 1:57pm
Do what he said.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 2:14pm
Skinhat?

Edited by *Stealth* - 13 May 2013 at 2:14pm
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 7:20am
I'm being told by everyone that this is a "Oh well, too bad." situation.

So because someone else failed to articulate some of the details, I'm supposed to cough up $2K? I'm pretty pissed about it.
I have no trouble owning up and paying for my mistakes, but this is literally me paying for someone else's.

Skinhat indeed.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 8:02am
Soooo, exactly what did the department think "sponsor" meant?????
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 5:45pm
Yeah that's pretty poor. 

I take it these different parties don't have very good direct communication then, I would talk to everyone in the process step by step until you find where the break in the chain is. Then proceed to bollock the person responsible. I don't know the process so it's difficult but If you get it narrowed down to one guy telling porkies/neglecting to do his job then you have it nailed. A good dousing of "I am dissapoint" and colourful language should sort it.

Definitely sounds like they agreed to sell you a horse so It's really down to the first point of contact to sort/ communicate the process for you.

With funding etc there must be a legit paper trail (meeting minutes, letter of acceptance/sponsorship grant or humorous limericks scrawled in toilets) which shows intention of the people responsible for the funding.  Your agreement really started with the town/department so just demand they take ownership and get it dealt with. That's your kids dinner there messing with.

Did the Academy/college not know that this is how you intended to pay for the course? I would think it's noted in your application etc So they should be able to cut some slack for you considering I guess you would have named the town/dept on your paperwork. Did you even at any time even think it was not crystal clear to everyone how the funding was working?

It might be the unrelated parties can't be arsed waiting for the others to sort their stuff out so if the college guys are dicks you'll often need to cough up and claim reimbursement later.  Which from what I can see will be no problem whatsoever as you've got an agreement and 6 weeks should be plenty time to get a plan in place and money paid.

To be fair it seems from the summary of conversations you gave that everyone is indeed doing what they should be doing but a bit slower than it could be. Keep everyone in the loop as well. If you show that you are working to fix this then the college should hopefully take you on face value and make arrangements.

I've went on a ramble but to sum up it's a breakdown in communication. If you want this sorted then you might want to do the communicating yourself after shouting at people at each step then passing what they say they'll do to the guy at the next step thus turning it into his problem.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 7:28pm
Welcome to public service....promise the moon, and then forget the cheese (ask someone on the force the definition of 'cheese', then you will get it.)

Your options are few, you have the bag in hand, empty of course, and the department will not be in a hurry to put anything in it, nature of small town politics, someone somewhere forgot to ask someone to do something somewhere else.

Having dealt with VA delays in payments to college for myself and step-kids, they don't want to hear it, you need a formal 'letter' generated based on your understanding of the original offer, go to the city/county funding organization (county or city council will usually work). MY guess is you are out another 2K and need to pray you get reimbursed after this fiasco is settled.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:26pm
Get Rambino in here
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:09am
Whelp, I rattled the balls out of some cages.

I contacted a very close friend of mine who works in the accounts office at another college, and he not only gave me some advice, but HE called the college as well.

I emailed the lady in the SA office, and she didn't bother to reply to me, just send my email along to one of the advisers there who is setting up a meeting with me and one of the academy directors to discuss the matter. Two members of our department have contacted the office as well.

On an interesting note, I found my copy of the hand-written notes that the chief took when she was on the phone with someone, which clearly state $2100 for sworn.
AND a copy of the letter that the department had me sign stating that I acknowledged that I was sworn and sponsored, and would be responsible for the costs of the academy....which based on those notes...was $2100.

So, I'm not going into this meeting unarmed. My only fear is, that since one of the academy directors is going to be there, that they're setting me up for failure since as a recruit I'm not going to come out and argue with one of the people who holds my future at the academy in his hands. I don't know if thats what it'll come to, but they may know that if he starts to put a bit of weight on me, I'm going to have to squirm.

The kicker is, that I'm fighting this fight for three of us, and the other two are completely mute on the matter. One shut up and paid is, and the other is scrambling around to find the funds so SHE can pay it too without getting into trouble. I'm the only one left saber rattling, and its becoming a matter of principal more than money.

Onward.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:48am
The costs of ya'lls academy in general shocks me. I can't believe they charge sponsored recruits anything other than uniform costs. 

Hope it all works out for you though Reb. 
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 11:01am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

The costs of ya'lls academy in general shocks me. I can't believe they charge sponsored recruits anything other than uniform costs. 

Since its college tuition for a 30 credit hour course, therein lies the major cost.
Atop of that though, are the uniform and gear expenditures, which ran close to $500.

Phase II can get expensive too, depending on the department. Some departments will issue a firearm, I had to buy mine (subject to reimbursement after hiring) And you need a vest ($$$, but I was given one.)

Did I mention the 1500 rounds of ammo for practice/qualification?

Yeah, it all stacks up, but the help you guys gave me in the beginning, and the gear/ammo that I was given by family and friends on the job ate a lot of my additional cost. 

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Since its college tuition for a 30 credit hour course, therein lies the major cost.
Atop of that though, are the uniform and gear expenditures, which ran close to $500.

Phase II can get expensive too, depending on the department. Some departments will issue a firearm, I had to buy mine (subject to reimbursement after hiring) And you need a vest ($$$, but I was given one.)

Did I mention the 1500 rounds of ammo for practice/qualification?

Yeah, it all stacks up, but the help you guys gave me in the beginning, and the gear/ammo that I was given by family and friends on the job ate a lot of my additional cost. 

I guess it's just a baseline difference in education costs there vs. here.

Our tuition cost is 1300, but sponsorships work differently here. If an agency sends you to an academy through a sponsorship, the state pays for your tuition, not the department. My uniforms/books cost about a thousand total, but it still doesn't come close to your costs. 

I was lucky, though, to be sent to an academy that supplies the ammunition for firearms training. A friend of mine is in the academy about 45 minutes north of me, and had to pay for all of his own. 
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 1:21pm
They supply ammo for training? That's awesome. Our department can't even supply the ammo for us, its all out of pocket...hell it took them over a YEAR to requisition service ammo. I think right now for Phase 2, I have more ammo ready for me than my sponsoring department even has. But again, I lucked out with my uh...contact being able to give me most of what I need, although he's holding it for me for now. I don't need it, and I don't want that much ammo stacked in the house for right now.

We also need a bunch of shotgun ammunition which I need to start buying. Thankfully, the dept. is going to loan us the shotgun we need because I told them flat out that I wasn't buying one like I did the sidearm, that was just moronic.

impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 6:30pm
1,500 rounds is a lot to store?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 1:01am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

In NY, its probably a Class D Felony.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 1:05am
Got called into the Academy Director's office tonight.

Took a rare win! Someone acknowledged the foul up and is issuing refunds to those of who are sponsored and sworn. That refund is going to the respective departments, and sent BACK to the college from them, qualifying us for the tuition break.

So I'm no longer on the hook for another 2K. The killer is, if I hadn't raised hell about it, nobody would have said anything, and the college would have walked away with the extra tuition money from the three of us, since the other two already paid the tuition in full.

It was a strange thing to hear the AD tell me "You were right." and lay out the situation exactly as I wanted it to go.

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 1:23am
horray.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 2:39am
Good job!

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 2:54am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

In NY, its probably a Class D Felony.

Cry

Good job Reb.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic