FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So I'm in a line...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So I'm in a line...
    Posted: 10 May 2013 at 7:26pm
...to graduate!

Graduating from Purdue University with a B.S. in Physics and a minor in math and astronomy.

Still looking for a job. I'll take any advice/leads/positions that you can give me.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 9:28pm
Advice?  Don't graduate.

In all seriousness congrats!  Throw out as many resumes as possible.

Edited by pntbl freak - 10 May 2013 at 9:29pm
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 10:45pm
I could do with an assistant. I had a guy in mind already but seeing s we're "friends" I could have a look at your CV.

"Resume" is a horrible word, it's up there with "meal"

My favourite word right now is "Dinner"
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 12:53am
https://spacex.com/careers.php
impulse418 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:01pm
There are plenty of STEM jobs out there, but are you willing to work for the same wages as those with visas.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:16pm
As of now, I'll basically take anything in the field to just get started. Once I have some experience, I can move onto other things.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
SnakeEyes View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnakeEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:06pm
Robo, I'll tell you my story, not to dissuade or disillude you, but to let you know what you MIGHT be in for.

I returned to the US in 2011 from abroad and hadn't been working even remotely near to my field until 3 months ago. I had been doing freelance photography, working with a friend at his vinyl sign shop, and as a gift wrapper and stock **edited** in a retail chain.

My technical background involves 8 years in both research and manufacturing mechanical engineering. Everyone wanted to tell me that STEM was going strong but I found that to be a complete lie in three different locations, Washington D.C., New Jersey, and New York City.

Granted, physics isn't mechanical engineering or even general engineering, but they are both highly technical fields. You might have a better shot right now, as every government and private company is looking to hire cheaper and newer labor, and you don't carry the stigma of being "over qualified" for entry positions.

TL:DR - Don't be ashamed to pick up any job that you can find, as every job is an opportunity to make money and make connections. Don't be afraid to take a position that doesn't fit every single hope and criteria you have.
Which falls faster, a lead ball or your IQ after reading some of these posts?

PSU Paintball

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 2:58pm
Congrats!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic