FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Letting an old friend go...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Letting an old friend go...
    Posted: 06 May 2013 at 2:08am
I'm selling my old red Chevy truck. As much love and care as I've put into it, I've come to the realization that A:) my dad is no longer in the shape to build it with me and B:) I'm chasing engine gremlins that will wind up with me building a THIRD engine.

As much as I've glamourized this truck to myself, it's all sentiment. It's a LWB with alot of money and work left to go and nobody to do the work.

So through a Craigslist ad I met a dude who owns a hot rod shop an hour away and builds C10 Chevy's into hot rods. He's going to give her a good home and in.turn I'm going to inherit a T67 turbo / intercooler kit for my Mustang GT plus a tuner, all the guages, fuel injectors, and BAP plus $500.

I figure his kit, even with the crap brand T67, new in box is probably worth around 3K including all the tuner and extras so if I go out 700 bucks when I become re employed for a decent Turbo and 800 for my guy to do the install /tune and dyno I'm out about 4k for 450 to the rear wheels of my Stang and my truck gets the love she needs.

So on one hand I'm sad, on the other hand I think the turbo project will be more interesting / affordable as a college project.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 9:04am
You'll be alright.  Just make sure you take the time with the turbo install... anything done wrong (installation, tuning, ANYTHING) can cause serious damage to the engine.  I'm sure I need not tell you that, but I've seen too many disappointed faces when the install has been rushed or the tuning has been performed badly.

Keep in mind you'll always be able to get another  "old red Chevy" later on in life that reminds you of your old one, and it'll probably be just as sentimental to you - if not more, because you could get it running just right with a few more bucks.

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:14am
:*(
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:32pm
Yeah once I get back to work I'm going to take the kit to my tuner and let him sift through the parts and see what's missing or needs to be replaced.

He's thinking 1500 or so should fill in any gaps and pay his labor, and he builds turbo / sc vettes and mustangs for a living so I trust his work.

With tune, exhaust, headers, and turbo I should be at around 450 to the rear wheels. Not bad for a daily driver with very little cash in the setup.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:49pm
Are you 4.6 or 5.0?  I'm assuming either 4.6 with lots o' boost, or 5.0 with minimal boost.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 9:28pm
4.6 at 5 or 6 lbs. Not very much since I'm stock internals.

Stock 4.6 is around 290 at the rear wheels. With tune and exhaust I'm about 310 to the rear wheels (all estimates of course) so the turbo would be pretty near to a 1/3 game. Add a hundred or so HP for the 5.0

A 4.6 can close the gap to a 5.0 fairly easily. What the 5.0 is add horsepower to the top of the power band and gets rid of that nasty top end drag 3v 4.6s were notorious for. But from a mod / performance perspective, the average .331 geared 5.0 will run a high 12 or low 13 stock and a .355 geared 2010 4.6 will do mid 13s, so the gap just seems biggeer than it is because of horsepower.

More importantly, while theres a big gap in HP the torque gap is oddly small. 5.0 is 410 / 380 while 4.6 was 315 / 325.

Don't get me wrong, 5.0's are impressive, but the 4.6 gets an unfair rap IMO. With a good tune, CAI, and maybe tires the 2010s can easily dip into the 12s as well, only my torque band stays more consistent.

TL;DR-FERD.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:54pm
Gotcha.  Yeah, I have friends with both the 4.6 and the 5.0 (including a Roush-charged 5.0  Stern Smile).  I don't know too much about them in general, gotta be honest - right now I'm a Subaru guy until I'm through college and hopefully have a fair-paying job.  What I do know is that they're both pretty awesome.  So much support and engineering has gone on for the 4.6, I'd imagine that with some carefully-picked parts it might be easy to shut the door. 
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:06pm
Nothing wrong with being a Suby man. My buddy just finished his second STi, I love them. The pinnacle of affordable AWD performance IMO.

I'm only a domestics guy for money reasons. Around where I live an STi or Evo might as well be an exotic car-crazy high resale.

I hear Evo's are getting axed next year, which is a sad day for tuners everywhere. The Evo / STi crowd are, in alot of ways, big factors in the return of the affordable muscle car era.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:37am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Around where I live an STi or Evo might as well be an exotic car-crazy high resale.

Same thing here - that's why I only have a 2.5RS.  NO WAY would I be able to afford an STi, or even a WRX when considering insurance.  Surprisingly, the RS is bad enough already on insurance...

The prices are probably a function of me living in the snowy northeast, where every tuner-guy thinks the STi is god's gift to man.  I could get a Nissan 350z of comparable condition, year and mileage for almost 8k less than an STi around here; its terrible.  Mustang GT's normally fall somewhere in between.

A lot of my big-time domestic friends have grown to like Subarus because they're so damn easy to work on and everything goes together like Legos.  All of their cars are build off of pretty much 2 chassis and much, if not all, of the hard-parts can be swapped between models including engine, transmission, and suspension.

All I know is that when I'm out of college, I want something trackable.  Domestic, JDM, euro, doesn't matter (don't think I would ever own something European, though, unless it was an Alfa or an E30 or 36 Bimmer).   Our region has lots of support for autocross events, Limerock Park (home of the Skip Barber racing school), and one of the local ovals is expanding to include a road course.  Exciting times - but not when you have a slushbox, bottom-model Subie :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic